• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air 540 WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is exciting.

The few large dollar purchases I have left are they GPU cooler and pump. The rest is just little stuff.

I've also decided to go with a full cover heatkiller gpu cooler. While I know my card is not reference, I've done a thorough amount of research and have come to the conclusion that with some minor milling, it will fit. I was going to go with a gpu only block, and throw little copper heatsinks on the vrms and memory, but I'd really prefer full coverage with better cooling (unless someone can convince me it would work just as well).

Should be interesting!

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find a case fan blank for a 140mm fan? I'm sure I could make one, just don't know if it would turn out as nice.

I'm mounting the reservoir where the rear 140mm exhaust fan is. The one downside of this case is there isn't much in terms of room in the front section to display a res.

So you're planning on pulling the 140 mm fan out and mounting it where the fan is? What if you pull the fan and zip tie it to the fan grill?

I thought about attaching it to the grill, but was concerned about the grill oscillating with the pump and creating rather strange humming (its a pump/res combo).

Still haven't decided on a fan controller yet. I want to go lamptron, and I really like the FCV5 V2, but I don't like that it doesn't have an automatic control mode. Id go with one of the touch screen models, but I don't like that they are only blue or white....

Is auto mode that big of a plus? I don't sit near my machine, so realistically, how often would I need to adjust the fans?

I thought about attaching it to the grill, but was concerned about the grill oscillating with the pump and creating rather strange humming (its a pump/res combo).
You could always but something between the res/pump and the grill to dampen the noise. As far as fan controllers I have 2 sunbeam's Rheosmart 6 and Rheobus. They both work well for me, I have the pump and fans on it. I usually have it set about half way up for 24/7 usage and when I'm benching I just turn up the fans and pump. I'm not a big fan of auto programs, I can never seem to get it the way I want it.

You're probably right, just a little pad should do the trick.

I'll ditch the auto function, I'll get more of the look I want that way.

Still can't figure out the color scheme I want on this thing either. I was going to go all copper, but I'm on the fence. I bought a copper supremacy block (because I got a sweet deal on it) and can't decide if I should leave it copper or paint it. If I leave it copper, I'll need to incorporate more copper into the system I feel. If I paint it black, then I can still go with rigid acrylic tubing.

Another issue is the north and south bridge heatsinks. They're blue. And unless I choose to go blue (doubtful) they are going to look very out of place. I thought about replacing them entirely, or using lighting to try and offset the blue color.

I'm incredibly indecisive about this...

**Edit** I also haven't decided whether to go with a modified full cover block, or a gpu only block with enzotech copper sinks on the vram and mosfets. Not sure if the FC block is going to make a substantial enough difference). This would be another clever way to integrate more copper as well (not that you'd see it much at the normal viewing angle).

Last edited:
My original thoughts were to black everything out with red tubing. But, with the sinks and pcie slots on the mobo being all blue, I may have to change that to keep a theme going. Throw in the copper cpu (and potential GPU) block and it's all over the place.

It may still work though. If I use very dim red lighting, I may be ok.

Gives me a headache.

Last edited:
With the blue heatsinks I wouldn't do red. I think your choices are blue black or white. Black tubing with chrome fittings looks nice and it probably wont look bad with the copper block.

Completely changed my mind on the color scheme. Going to go for a "Tron" type build.

Oh, and I spent some money today....

list.jpg

Last edited:
Completely changed my mind on the color scheme. Going to go for a "Tron" type build.

Oh, and I spent some money today....

:facepalm: I'd love to see what you have there but I can't see. :cry:

(You're on a pattern here lol)

OCFinsertimages.png

Sorry man, keep forgetting to insert the image into the text. It's strange, because the image shows up fine after I attach it and host it here....

Back