• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell System Exchange - Does this sound fair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meanbunny

Hello everyone,

Long story short, Dell is offering me a system exchange after over a month of BS trying to fix my old system.

I am going to list the specs of the system I have now and then the system they are offering me. I want to know in the opinion of you guys out there if you think this is a fair deal, or am I getting ripped off?

Current Specs:

System: Alienware Area 51 ALX
Processor: Intel (R) Core i7 980x Gulftown @ 3.33 Ghz (2010 processor, Intel Website Price: $1000)
Memory: 3 x 2 GB 1867 Mhz Tri Channel Kingston Hyper X Ram Sticks
Graphics: 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5970 Crossfire
Motherboard: Alienware 0J560M Intel X58 Chipset
Hard Drives: 2 x 640 GB Western Digital SATAII Drives Raid 0 Array
Power Supply: 1000 Watts

New System:

System: Alienware Aurora
Processor: Intel (R) Core i7 4820K (Current Price: $350)
Memory: 4 x 4 GB 1600 Mhz Quad Channel Ram Sticks (Manufacturer Unknown)
Graphics: 1 x ATI Radeon HD 8990
Motherboard: x79 Chipset (Not sure of exact board)
Hard Drives: 2 x 3 TB Hard Drives Raid 0 Array
Power Supply: 875 Watts

I really appreciate everyone's input. I don't want to make the wrong decision and accept this exchange if I am not getting treated fairly. Thanks everyone.

way better :) the 980x is a sloth compared to the 4820k and it isnt worth 1/2 what it used to be these days.

16gb ram vs 6
7990 vs two 5970's
3tb vs 640

Last edited:
I would say it is in your favour.
That 8990 is a re-branded 7990, so it is two generations better on the video cards as well.

And isnt the 8990(7990) a dual GPU card as well?

Id say they are giving you a great deal. imho.

Z

Thanks a bunch for your replies guys. I now feel way better since a couple of my friends were not happy with the CPU they were offering me. They want me to shoot for the 4960x or at least settle for the 4930k. Even when talking to the Alienware guy on the phone he even said he thinks that I deserve an upgrade from the 4820k so hopefully I might hear some good news soon. I also want to try to change out the 6 TB of Raid 0 for a 512 GB SSD. Since the 6TB in Raid 0 cost the exact same price as the 512 GB SSD, hopefully they won't have a problem giving me that. Although I have heard them say they don't give you upgrades according to price or request, they go according to what you already have. Also if they are offering me Windows 8, I wonder if requesting Windows 7 Ultimate instead would be a little far fetched? Anyway, hoping for the best. The system exchange guy was supposed to call me back today and its almost 7 pm EST and no call yet. Gonna call the 800 number and try to find out whats going on. Wish me luck.

Back