• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I have been thinking about upgrading my old 6970s. But I am wondering if my current cpu/ram/mobo will power say.. 2 r9 290s? Is the 980x up to the task do you think? I dont want to buy the cards and then have them not run at their potential.

980X is fine, only problem would be if you intended to bench, but for gaming it'll perform fine. On par or better than AMD FX chips...crossfire will bottleneck any cpu out there btw, and is a bit overkill unless you have 3 1440p monitors or single 4K. Even triple 1080p runs fine on a single oced 290X or 290-.

980X is fine, only problem would be if you intended to bench, but for gaming it'll perform fine. On par or better than AMD FX chips...crossfire will bottleneck any cpu out there btw, and is a bit overkill unless you have 3 1440p monitors or single 4K. Even triple 1080p runs fine on a single oced 290X or 290-.

I figured it would be, but thought I would ask. Yeah the 290 series seem to excel with larger resolutions, but I like raw power to push 60+ FPS with everything cranked if possible. :)

Also, my apologies for the sidetrack. I do not own one! (yet)

I do too mate, I've tried 7970 CF and it does the trick for 1080p gaming...single 290 oced under water would do it marvellously too. On air I'm not so sure it can match 7950 or 7970 cf though.

I figured it would be, but thought I would ask. Yeah the 290 series seem to excel with larger resolutions, but I like raw power to push 60+ FPS with everything cranked if possible. :)

Also, my apologies for the sidetrack. I do not own one! (yet)
My single 290 runs BF4 70+ fps with pretty much everything cranked up and thats even at stock speeds. I have AA on and the settings to Ultra and get 70-100 pretty consistent.

Well, BF4 is easier to max...can you try Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3?

We should include game benchmarks in the op.

BF4, Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 seems reasonable don't you guys think?

BF4 is difficult to benchmark as it doesn't have a standardized test. The editor team here is working on making a repeatable benchmark, but I don't believe it is ready yet.

BF4 is difficult to benchmark as it doesn't have a standardized test. The editor team here is working on making a repeatable benchmark, but I don't believe it is ready yet.
We have recently pinned a spot down. :)

In the single player campaign, tashgar level (6). The on rails jeep ride at the beginning is what we chose. No fighting, but fps there was a bit lower than on the first part we chose. At ultra 1080p, a 280x hit 56 fps. Perhaps a bit higher than in a game with heavy figthing but it is easily repeatable.

Ah, good to know...well, keep it to the standalone or repeatable benchmarks for games.
I'll work on the op this weekend, don't have too much time on my hands during labor days.

Found this: http://videocardz.com/47971/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-unlocked-r9-290x

OMGOMG! I need an R9 290 by Powercolor before they "fix" this.
As much as I want to believe this I'll believe it when I see a couple more. I've seen multiple posts of people flashing with little to no change to get excited about it. Plus I find it hard to believe only one brand got this lucky but you never know. :shrug: As close as the 290 and 290x are they could be failed 290x cards rebadged for all we know. Kind of like those CPUs that with a little voltage could have cores unlocked.

As far as the bench spot I ran the fraps benchmark until they closed the garage door after the ride and had an average of 86.9fps. Is that about the time frame you were thinking? Screenshot of my settings attached for reference too.

Attachments

• bf4 2013-11-14 19-33-17-24.bmp
    826.9 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Sorry.. stop at the end of the part on rails in the jeep when the woman says 'Russians'. Its just past where they stop for the tank to go by.

Our settings are default ultra which is 4x msaa and hbao as well as 1080p. Not sure if the stuff on the left is changed but that is default too.

Who is "ours"? I checked the game thread so I could set what was needed prior to this any saw nothing. A little info would help out when trying to do this so I dont have to do it multiple times...

Who is "ours"? I checked the game thread so I could set what was needed prior to this any saw nothing. A little info would help out when trying to do this so I dont have to do it multiple times...

If I understand your question correctly, those are the setting that the editors/reviewers of this site are going to use to benchmark BF4. So if you want to be in accordance with those those are the settings that they decided on.

Try flashing yours Ivan... :p

Well two out of ????? I don't like the odds so far, lol!

EDIT: A lot of people are not having luck with this. It seems that, so far, only some of the Powercolor models unlock, but again, 2 of ?????? is a small small dataset to hang your hat on.

Last edited:
Back