• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shouldn't go over 32c on water.....with what ambient temps? What coolant temps?

This is based on a room at 22c or 72F.

I'm using HIS iTurbo and GPUz to monitor clocks, temps and voltage. I don't use AB.

Have GPUz open to the monitor tab and rerun your bench. It will still show when the GPU throttles :)
Now the memory is a harder one to nail down because it's DDR5 :( Part of the specs for DDR5 has ECC built into it. The only good way to tell, is to drop the mem speed by 100mhz
Where did you get a good copy of ITurbo??????

Have GPUz open to the monitor tab and rerun your bench. It will still show when the GPU throttles :)
Now the memory is a harder one to nail down because it's DDR5 :( Part of the specs for DDR5 has ECC built into it. The only good way to tell, is to drop the mem speed by 100mhz
Where did you get a good copy of ITurbo??????

Yeah, the screenshot I put up in the first post was with the sensors tab open, and had been open during the run. There wasn't any throttling....core and memory clocks were steady the full run. Had some vdroop, but....I'm still on the stock bios.

The loop is 2 x Bitspower ZMulti 250s, dual D5s with a bitspower dual mod top, EK X99 EVO Supremacy CPU block, the aquacomputer 290X block and backplate, and runs through an MO RA3 420 radiator with 4 x 230mm fans. I wanted coolant temps as close to ambient as possible, thus the huge rad.

Awesome for the temps :thup:
I would not try and push the memory anymore than you have. You might get another 15 - 25 on the core but I think you might already be there. My XFX Core Edition tops out @ 1265 and that's with it running 218mv over stock.

Thanks for the link to ITurbo 1.6.6 as all of the links I found where dead :)

Last edited:
I'll actually probably back off the memory clock....it seems like it still has room, but at 1802, the score actually dropped some from my testing. The testing run I did at 1336 / 1793 had a higher graphics score...not much, but a couple hundred points. I haven't played around much with it to find the card's "happy place". I need to find the right memory clock to give the best performance with the clocks. I plan to flash to either the PT1 bios this weekend or some variation there of....I'd like to hit 1350 on the core, and then adjust memory from there.

Yeah, I had to ask around on the OCN forums, and found someone that had it in their google drive. I wanted it, specifically, for it's ability to go to +400mv, instead of +200mv.

I'll actually probably back off the memory clock....it seems like it still has room, but at 1802, the score actually dropped some from my testing. The testing run I did at 1336 / 1793 had a higher graphics score...not much, but a couple hundred points.

That's what I was trying to explain about DDR5.

Yeah, I had to ask around on the OCN forums, and found someone that had it in their google drive. I wanted it, specifically, for it's ability to go to +400mv, instead of +200mv.

There's a hack out there for AB that will let you set it to +500mv but it is not recommended unless you are using LN2

I'm going to play with it more this weekend, and see if I can figure out the perfect balance for core, memory and voltage for the best performance. Hopefully I can push a tad closer to 16k graphics score without having to go to a modded bios. Which is an eventuality, anyway, but....

If you are running 3DMark, use the latest drivers. If you are running GPUPI you need to down grade to 14.9... I hope this helps :)

PS. Use DDU to uninstall your current driver, install 14.9 and run GPUPI first. When done with GPUPI run the install of the current driver and it will update the older driver to the new one :)

If you are running 3DMark, use the latest drivers. If you are running GPUPI you need to down grade to 14.9... I hope this helps :)

PS. Use DDU to uninstall your current driver, install 14.9 and run GPUPI first. When done with GPUPI run the install of the current driver and it will update the older driver to the new one :)

Great, thanks for the info

Hey guys I am wondering what is the safe temp range to keep a Devil 13 290x2? I know cooler is better but what seems a realistic range for an air cooled card that support two 290X gpus. Thanks!

Just got a SApphire 290x! about to build pc soon with i5-6600 or i-7 6700k.

Will i be able to play 4k games on a single 290x or do i really need to get 2 of them?

Just got a SApphire 290x! about to build pc soon with i5-6600 or i-7 6700k.

Will i be able to play 4k games on a single 290x or do i really need to get 2 of them?

Depends on what you consider to be a playable framerate and what settings you want to turn on. If you're OK with 30 or less FPS at 4K then a single 290x can do that. If you're wanting to sit at/near 60FPS you will either need a second 290x (and deal with Crossfire fun) or move to a 980ti and possibly consider adding a second depending on what settings you want to turn up.

Note: I wouldn't bother running any anti-aliasing at 4K (if anything, 2x would be plenty) as it takes a ton of processing power that is hardly noticeable at higher resolutions.

Just got another 290x. So will crossfire. Will i get max FPS on 4k now??

You guys convinced me that i need to crossfire!

To me, that depends on if you got 2 x same model card. Some will clock higher than others. You should be able to crank everything to ultra, with the cards set to 1150~1200 Core and 1425~1450 memory.

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Back