• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bobby, I would use MSI Afterburner V4.1 to use for overclocking and testing the card.

I'm using Afterburner :D. I also tried Asus GPU Tweak. I've been using GPUz to look at the temps and fan speed.

Does that make the gpu bend a bit because of the weight?
Temps look good!

The 290 replaced a Asus 6950 DCII and that was bending a bit when I took it out. My current setup with the Accelero is lighter than the DCII hsf. It also comes with a support bracket but I didn't think I needed it.

I'm surprised how much cooler it is than the reference cooler.

My accelero XP made a huge difference with my old reference unlocked 6950. Good to see they're still effective.

Hey guyz, just picked up a Visiontek 290 from CD via swap. Upon research I found it has the same ram as the XFX 290X Core Edition. Even the bios string is the same with the exeption of the last 4 which is up by 2. Looks like I may have found a match to flash.

One thing is for certain, I'm going to have to splurge on a full cover wb. This thing puts out some heat! :eek:

Good news Nebulous. I have EK FC R9 290X (rev2) water blocks on both of my r9 290s below. Temps are really kept in check!

I am glad I waited to upgrade my graphics card. With the 290X hovering around $300 you can't go wrong. I bought the XFX 290X DD. Having unlocked voltage makes life much easier. I've ran a few tests and it appears I got lucky for once with a good Gpu. The card will run 1100Mhz core with no voltage increase. I am going to wait until my Aquacomputer Kryographics full cover waterblock and backplate arrive before pumping volts into it. Unfortunately with the demise of FrozenCPU and the awful experiences I've had with Performance-PCs and their low/out stock levels I ended up ordering it from Aquatuning in Germany. They had all SKU's in stock including the Active Backplate.

Hey guys, first time poster. Just looking for a little advice on what price do you think I could get for my 2 x MSi R9 290x Twin Frozr's with boxes. They are 6 months old and I still have original proof of purchase from store. I was thinking in the region of £340/350 but thought I'd ask some more knowledgeable people.

Thanks

Hey guys, first time poster. Just looking for a little advice on what price do you think I could get for my 2 x MSi R9 290x Twin Frozr's with boxes. They are 6 months old and I still have original proof of purchase from store. I was thinking in the region of £340/350 but thought I'd ask some more knowledgeable people.

Thanks

What are you buying to replace them?

Thanks

Barring my previous comment haha.

Your best bet is to look on ebay and compare what used ones are selling for in your neck of the woods. A large majority of members here are american/canadian, and prices are MUCH different on this side of the pond.

Nice upgrade! We're a pretty good place here on keeping things objective, don't worry about bumping up to the big boss card ;) :attn:

Started gaming at 50, recently purchased a FM2+ system thinking that the included GPU would be enough, it was not. Wanted to play Crysis 2,3 and BF4 the last straw was Advanced Warfare. Thought about buying a new system but SSI does not afford me that luxury, the best I can do is get a MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 512 bit, I feel stupid now that I know a APU 6600K can't even enable PCIE gen 3.0 but what do you do. Me I figured get the best card I can afford and live with it till I save enough to get a FX system. It was between the MSI 970 and 290. Read some reviews that the 290 has some future proofing developments, hopefully they are also stupid proof. So was the 290 with a Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H and the APU 6600 not TOO stupid, just trying to make a bad situation better. Be kind, remember I'm old by some standards but young at heart. LEGEND is the best album ever!

Started gaming at 50, recently purchased a FM2+ system thinking that the included GPU would be enough, it was not. Wanted to play Crysis 2,3 and BF4 the last straw was Advanced Warfare. Thought about buying a new system but SSI does not afford me that luxury, the best I can do is get a MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G 512 bit, I feel stupid now that I know a APU 6600K can't even enable PCIE gen 3.0 but what do you do. Me I figured get the best card I can afford and live with it till I save enough to get a FX system. It was between the MSI 970 and 290. Read some reviews that the 290 has some future proofing developments, hopefully they are also stupid proof. So was the 290 with a Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H and the APU 6600 not TOO stupid, just trying to make a bad situation better. Be kind, remember I'm old by some standards but young at heart. LEGEND is the best album ever!

It's O.K. we have a member called Earth Dog here who is 75 and he has managed to make great contributions ever since he used something called the mail to correspond with us on the topic of finding the power button on his Compaq.
On a more serious note not having PCIE 3.0 is not an issue IIRC the bandwidth limitation will have little to no effect on a single 290 or 970. One issue worth pointing out here is that your CPU can affect gaming performance just as much as your GPU. For example a budget AMD CPU may limit performance in GTA5 to an average of 30FPS no matter how good the graphics card in the system is while a better processor may limit it to >60FPS BUT in some other games CPU can be irrelevant for enjoyable performance...part of it depends on how well the game is designed and part of it will depend on what the game needs to number crunch for. Either GPU you are looking at is very good and I chose a 290 myself but one nice thing about the 970 is that it draws less power at full load to the tune of 50-75w less and that gap widens when overclocking. It's currently -5C out and I'm about to do some gaming with my 290 at its maximum overclock so my window is open about 6 inches...the big power draw brings big heat and my room will stay around 20C thanks to my 290.

A 290 is no slouch for gaming, but BF4's gonna hurt on that CPU even with one since it's pretty CPU-dependent. Either way the performance over an APU will be noticeable - I definitely enjoy my 290 for games. What monitor do you have? If it's 1920 x whatever or less you might be able to get away with a cheaper 280X or a 960 instead.

Hey guys wondering if any of you had experience with crossfire setup. My goal was to have a machine that could push games at 1080p 144fps and in the future run 1440p at 60fps at least.

Here are the steps I have done and I cannot make it work. I see almost no gains in BF4 1-10 fps, Evolve. My benchmark seems to indicate everything is working but I am not entirely sure my CPU can handle it.

my specs

Asus Sabretooth 990fx Rev 1

AMD FX8150 OC'ed to 4.4ghz

Gskill DDR3 2400mhz

EVGA 850w G2

Samsung 850 EVO 500gig

R9 290 Powercolor PCS+ (two)

Swiftech 240x Liquid Cooling Setup

1. Ran DDU in safe mode removed the drivers
2. Shutdown
3. Took out the second gpu
4. Ran CCleaner for temp files and reg cleaner (run the reg cleaner a few times till zero errors are found at least 2 times in a row)
5. Install Omega drivers
6. Check if crossfire is enabled if it is disable it
7. Run Heaven and record the results
6. Installed the 2nd card again
7. Enabled Crossfire, In MSI AB disable ULPS and restart.
8. Run Heaven and msi afterburners graph make it long side to side a lot (stretch it outside the screen we just want the GPU usage graph) record results and snip the heaven gpu graphs.
9. Upload the heaven results and snips of AB graph here.

Here i did the steps as per the other user
http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/o...#post_23825206

Look at Post 36616<---------

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

It's O.K. we have a member called Earth Dog here who is 75 and he has managed to make great contributions ever since he used something called the mail to correspond with us on the topic of finding the power button on his Compaq.
:rofl:

@ Batpimp - You were told in your other thread those pictures are too small to see friend. Still can't see them here. You really want to keep your problem to one thread so you are not getting bombarded by 2 threads, but second, the advice given isn't repeated wasting volunteers' time.

Last edited:
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

okay I earth I thought this was the most appropriate thread. instead of in the mobo forums. I wont respond in the other one anymore. I'll keep it here.

Pictures are kinda small there. I want to say with two 290's and updated CAPs you shouldn't have any issues with 1080p 144fps or 1440p/60FPS, but BF4 needs a ton of CPU power... maybe your 8150 CPU's holding you back? (I'm not really familiar with AMD CPUs)

Back