• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I replaced my old GTX 760 with the Vapor X R9 290X (8GB variant.)
I love it!
I would like to overclock it but i'm afraid I do not have that much headroom on the PSU left.

Last edited:
Here's the pics of the Kaze 3000rpm's on my 290X as requested lol took them before cleaning since I would have forgot afterwards :thup: posted scores and links a couple post's back also
Capture008.jpg Capture007.jpg Capture009.jpg

lol dusty old home and a woodstove, crap always seems to find a way past the filters

haha I hear ya. I've become a bit obsessive about dust ever since the missus convinced me to get a wool rug ;)

Last edited:
I used to clean it about every other week but with work and everything else going I just decided to use some of the $1 a/c foam filters and cut them to add to the intakes. They help a lot and they're washable, not to mention cheap. Think it was like a 20''x20'' and about 1/4'' thick and easy to use and doesn't restrict air that much that I've noticed.

I clean my case twice per month...dust filters do help, but it finds its way in somehow.

Intense cooling my friend!

What are the figures like? (temp/oc?)

- - - Updated - - -

I clean my case twice per month...dust filters do help, but it finds its way in somehow.

Intense cooling my friend!

What are the figures like? (temp/oc?)

I am really jealous of those vrm temps! Mine are TERRIBLE and severely limit my OC potential. I'll have to get clever with some stuff soon...

Added some FujiPoly ultra 1mm pads along with modding the stock plate to clear the pump unit and temps dropped to where they are now. Used the Gelid VRM revision heatsink for about a week before taking the stock copper off the plate.

any reason to use the Modded Asus PT1 bios instead of MSIAB now that it allows you to go higher than 200mV?

Last edited:
just because the msi ab sometimes has issues holding power % @ +50.
gputweak doesn't do that but it might be fixed now in Afterburner also haven't used it in a while.

the bios on the 1st post are still valid? or there are newer versions?

im just having an issue with MSIAB... i get 1.344v with +400mv when others +200 get close to 1.4v.

Last edited:
I picked up a lightly used MSI r9 290 reference card. It ran hot and loud so I bought an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV for it on Amazon for $68 shipped.

Here's idle specs:

Stock reference card
290_zps1akoadkx.gif

Accelero Xtreme IV
290_Accelero_IV_zpsoi9jgllt.gif

Temps didn't go above 70°C while playing BF4. Highly recommend the Accelero Xtreme IV. I've seen up to 25°C lower temps at idle and VRM temps are great.

*edit*
I should mention the ambient temp was 67°F with stock hsf and 70°F with the Accelero.

Last edited:
Quick update.

I ran my card today trying to stress it out with stuff I normally use and here's what it max'd out at:

290%20load3_zpsgojiavnp.gif

Very impressed with the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV. 22°C lower than the reference cooler is pretty huge. VRM temps look good too. No ramsinks, just what the Accelero came with (backside heatsink).

It's huge and I lost my USB 3.0 front ports because the backside heatsink is in the way of the 3.0 header on the mb and I was too lazy to dremel it to clear the connector. I'll probably do that later. I can't move the card down to a lower slot because the HD cage is in the way. You need at least 13.25" from the back of the case for this thing to clear. It's huge but works well.

2015-03-22%2000.42.28_zps839dvwpi.jpg

Back