• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Ivan thanks for the kind words. I think we have all been in that situation where it's life or gaming, life normally take precedence (hate how it works like that).

I will build an x99 system next year when prices come down, probably still use the 290xs in it and under water. This is like a multi step process to 3 builds over the next 18 months or so.

I'm just hopin the 8320 will OC nicely, and I do plan on goin crazy with the OC on the 290Xs when they go underwater or at least playin with them until I learn something (preferably before they break). Hence the PSU overkill, it has the cleanest ripple according to reviews, which in turn should give the cleanest current to drive components, I mean it will only draw what it needs from the wall, so it's not like having a huge PSU will increase my electric bill.

I have to sit down and try some overclocking on this 8120, haven't done it yet. Has a Coolermaster V8 cooler, since my coolermaster glacier 240's pump died (could never get a replacement or sell it).
I should be able to get out of the slump in a month I think, looking forward to it for sure.
Miss the overclocking, miss the gaming and this forum's people.

I"ll come back when I have this on my 4790K and post some comparisons.

ASUS R9 290X Matrix Platinum under water 1326 core 1500 memory with an AMD FX-9370 @ 5.45
To be fair FS isn't the best bench for AMD because of the way the combined test treats the modules. It only runs 4 threads instead of 8 so the score is a bit low.

firex 6428.JPG
fire 10934.JPG

I have one ( maybe easy ) question but I'm too lazy to browse all 290x threads. What's the difference between 290x Matrix and Matrix Platinum ? I see only differences in clocks.

I saw that ASUS made about the same product pages for both. The only difference are clocks in specs table. Price difference about $80.

Nice score. I want to see how mine does with the 4790k soon. Just no time for it till next week maybe.

As I mentioned in other thread, I got 290X Matrix because of price drops.
For some reason I'm not sure why in Win8.1 290x is overclocking worse than in Win7. In Win7 I can make ~1150MHz 1.30-1.35V in any benchmark. In Win8.1 on the same settings card is crashing in any 3DMark. I wonder if it's matter of drivers or something else.

I know I've had driver issues with my Nvidias in 8.1 mostly seen in gaming though.

Just watch your temps and you'll be fine. These chips get really hot when you're pushing them. SO I would suggest a sustained test like Unigine heaven DX11 preset from HWBot. It works a card hard for quite a while. You'll get a good idea of heat and stability that way. Just leave GPUz open to the sensor tab so you can see how it's doing.

Yep, Matrix 290x died on stock cooling and stock clocks ( at least supposed to be stock ). I only changed OS, installed drivers and after reboot ASUS soft loaded weird settings. I saw 60*C without load what was weird so I clicked default settings button in OC soft, temps went up to 100*C in like 10 seconds and I heard "poof" ... and that's all, card was dead. I think I posted that ~2 weeks ago but don't remember where.
Actually card is visible in OS, GPU-Z is showing 0MHz and system can't load driver but can flash BIOS etc.

Back