• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got Win10 on my gaming rig last week. Sadly, my wife's HP desktop died during the Win10 upgrade. So to brighten up the home, I decided to run the required benchmarks and log into the 290X Owners Club.

This test was done on an i7-4770K (at 3.5Ghz), Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo, H-110 cooler, Win10, 16GB mem, and my two R9 290Xs by Gigabyte. Had issues playing WoT on this until I switched the graphics cards to Performance instead of Silent. CCC 15.7 made WoT crash so had to rollback the drivers (15.20). First entry below was stock freqs, and then OC CPU and GPU (mildly).

User id: DaddyTinman
GPU type: 290X (two)
Brand and model: Gigabyte GV-R929XOC-4GD 4GB
Stock -- OC 4.3Ghz, 1040Mhz
GPU-Z validation: ayzm6
3D Mark 11P link: Linkogram -LinkogramOC
3D Mark 11P graphics score: 17523 18515
3D Mark Firestrike link: LinkogramDuex-LinkogramDuexOC
3D Mark Firestrike graphics score: 14449 15003

Last edited:
Got Win10 on my gaming rig last week. Sadly, my wife's HP desktop died during the Win10 upgrade. So to brighten up the home, I decided to run the required benchmarks and log into the 290X Owners Club.

This test was done on an i7-4770K (at 3.5Mhz), Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo, H-110 cooler, Win10, 16GB mem, and my two R9 290Xs by Gigabyte. Had issues playing WoT on this until I switched the graphics cards to Performance instead of Silent. CCC 15.7 made WoT crash so had to rollback the drivers (15.20).

User id: DaddyTinman
GPU type: 290X (two)
Brand and model: Gigabyte GV-R929XOC-4GD 4GB
GPU-Z validation: ayzm6
3D Mark 11P link: Linkogram
3D Mark 11P graphics score: 17523
3D Mark Firestrike link: LinkogramDuex
3D Mark Firestrike graphics score: 14449

Are interested in perfomance. Not sure why ur posting completely stock results as they are readily available. I'd be interested in what YOU can get out the system, rather than what a oem system would score.

Yep, Matrix 290x died on stock cooling and stock clocks ( at least supposed to be stock ). I only changed OS, installed drivers and after reboot ASUS soft loaded weird settings. I saw 60*C without load what was weird so I clicked default settings button in OC soft, temps went up to 100*C in like 10 seconds and I heard "poof" ... and that's all, card was dead. I think I posted that ~2 weeks ago but don't remember where.
Actually card is visible in OS, GPU-Z is showing 0MHz and system can't load driver but can flash BIOS etc.

you have 0 luck lol

My card back today replaced to new. Slightly lower ASIC but OC on air looks about the same ( only couple of quick runs in heaven and 3DMark ).

I see no problems with other brand coolers. Many cooling solutions are similar. Personally I had no problems with ASUS cooling. I was surprised how it was working as I was counting on higher temps and louder fans.
Anyway I sold my 290X yesterday. Good card but not overclocking as good as I wish and for most my needs I can use much cooler, smaller and silent GTX960 which is also not much worse in most games at 1080p.

I'm sorry guys, i have joined the dark side and ordered a GTX 980ti Strix.... Can't believe that i finally did it, i have always been a huge AMD supporter and spewed hate speeches to Intel and Nvidia.

First it was the processor now the card, my soul is damned.

I think you are not the only one. Couple of days ago I saw report ( don't remember where ) that Nvidia has already 80% discrete graphics card market. Various issues ( hardware and software ), huge delays in releases, too many refreshed gfx card models and barely any OC potential of Fury series were for sure not helping AMD in the past 2 years.

It clearly shows in their sales and the stock chart.
I'm guessing they won't let them go down, hopefully...we need competition!
That being said, thoughts on the new R9 nano?

I thought AMD was very competitive with the 6xxx, 7xxx, and 2xx-series releases. Almost everyone one matched the nvidia counterpart in performance and cost significantly less.

Release cadence dropped off after the 290x, though. AMD gave nvidia too much time to gobble up market share with the 970 (which I own and love, btw ;)) and 980.

I could be way off, of course. Just my take on it, if they have indeed lost ground in the fight.

Regarding the nano, I'm intrigued, but I'll need to see benchmarks before forming a solid opinion. Hopefully, they didn't gimp it too badly with only 175w.

I thought AMD was very competitive with the 6xxx, 7xxx, and 2xx-series releases. Almost everyone one matched the nvidia counterpart in performance and cost significantly less.

Release cadence dropped off after the 290x, though. AMD gave nvidia too much time to gobble up market share with the 970 (which I own and love, btw ;)) and 980.

I could be way off, of course. Just my take on it, if they have indeed lost ground in the fight.

Regarding the nano, I'm intrigued, but I'll need to see benchmarks before forming a solid opinion. Hopefully, they didn't gimp it too badly with only 175w.

It does look interesting, seems very competitive.

Look at these figures for AMD:

https://www.tradingview.com/x/RlXTbkvb/

I know this might sound like a stupid question but have to ask :)
I currently have 2 R9 290x reference cards(one is by XFX and the other by Sapphire) under water. I would like to pick up a third card but do I buy another reference card togo under water or buy a better air cooled card????

I know this might sound like a stupid question but have to ask :)
I currently have 2 R9 290x reference cards(one is by XFX and the other by Sapphire) under water. I would like to pick up a third card but do I buy another reference card togo under water or buy a better air cooled card????

I'd say grab another one and Water cool it.

Be forewarned; that you won't get much performance by adding a third GPU.
Scaling seems to top out at 2 cards.

If you really want to add a 3rd (and I wouldn't suggest it), then investing as little money as possible is the best way to go about it. Just find a decent air cooled 290x and remember their clocks are all going to run in sync.

Unless you're benching, I wouldn't go this route, though.

I just dropped my Gigabyte R9 390 8GB into my computer and fired up kombuster. PC rebooted on its own, and I definitely got the smell of something warm in the room. Why the heck do they have this card idle at 83*F? Is there anyway to override this?

So, I bought an XFX 8GB 290X to play with, and was hoping for some pointers? It's blocked and temps are fantastic thus far. I did a couple of runs on Firestrike, but I think I had the memory too high, maybe.... I'll be moving to a custom bios soon. This run done at 1317 core, 1802 memory.

kDE84oK.jpg

lYGA0VI.jpg

So Far>>>> The biggest thing that I have notice from the 290x series is VRM-2 temp. I can see from your screen shot that you have the memory running to high VRM-1, this should not go over 32c on water. The next is VRM-2 which handles the GPU, anything over 30c on water and the card starts to throttle.
ARE you using AB to OC the card??????
If you are, you can have the monitor windows open when benching and can see when the card starts to throttle :)

So Far>>>> The biggest thing that I have notice from the 290x series is VRM-2 temp. I can see from your screen shot that you have the memory running to high VRM-1, this should not go over 32c on water. The next is VRM-2 which handles the GPU, anything over 30c on water and the card starts to throttle.
ARE you using AB to OC the card??????
If you are, you can have the monitor windows open when benching and can see when the card starts to throttle :)

Shouldn't go over 32c on water.....with what ambient temps? What coolant temps?

I'm using HIS iTurbo and GPUz to monitor clocks, temps and voltage. I don't use AB.

Back