• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey man! not sure why the pics always downsize or at least dont give you the option to blow them up by clicking them individually. this site is weird like that.

Today im going to buy a 1kw PSU and just try it out for the weekend to see if it works. then ill return it just to rule that out. If that doesnt work then ill try to find a used 8350 and see if that fixes the problem

all my tests indicate it is not a CPU/PSU problem.

I dont get CPU %'s so high Afterburner or in perfoverlay graphs in bf4 thatmakes me think that is the issue but SOMETHING is.

Its weird cause benchmarking gives me CF improvement results but i am seeing no gains in Evolve, BF4 or other games in 1080p. in fact bf4 im losing fps.

Didn't even consider a PSU issue but it's definitely possible at 750W, especially if it's a generic unit.

oh thats weird i updated that a few days ago.

850evga G2

fixed. Getting a fx8350 to see if my CPU is the bottleneck.

Getting a fx8350 to see if my CPU is the bottleneck.
what? Why? The 8350 is the same exact thing but slightly faster out of the box. If you have an 8150 at 4.4gbz and an 8350 at 4.4ghz. It's the same Speed....

Don't waste your money there, seriously.

It's not a psu issue either.

Didn't we go over that stuff already in your duplicate thread?

Part of the issue is the glass ceiling that the amd cpu is putting on the 290s. Intel just lets multi gpu setups stretch its legs. Another issue is the massive overkill your gpus are for the 1080p res.

Last edited:
what? Why? The 8350 is the same exact thing but slightly faster out of the box. If you have an 8150 at 4.4gbz and an 8350 at 4.4ghz. It's the same Speed....

Don't waste your money there, seriously.

It's not a psu issue either.

Didn't we go over that stuff already in your duplicate thread?

Part of the issue is the glass ceiling that the amd cpu is putting on the 290s. Intel just lets multi gpu setups stretch its legs. Another issue is the massive overkill your gpus are for the 1080p res.

Frys electronics has a 30 day return policy so its mainly for testing. Nothing to lose except 30 minute drive. Every video online I see of people running the AMD CPU its an 8350 or higher. I know the higher AMD cpus are just overclocked 8350s so I plan on just using this one and returning it. If for some reason I find out its the CPU then I know I can really get some juice out of it still until I finally make the jump to Intel. If its even necessary after win 10 / dx 12

tried so many things so I am hoping that's what it is.
I disabled ULPS
Gonna try frame pacing
ive switched the cards
ive switched the positions of the cards
ive tried 3 different catalyst drivers
all my temps are 71C or lower on both cards after hours of gaming.
I know not EVERY game has a xfire profile but the ones I am testing do.

all my tests show I do get benchmarking 30-40% gain but not in any single game.

Just going thru the motions of anything I can think of along with other users recommendations . I will most likely return the CPU even if I figure out that's what it was.

Yes I knew the 290s were overkill. I wanted 144fps in 1080p gaming. The cards should do well once I move up to 1440p gsync/freesync monitor so I got a pair for that reason too. Obviously I am not getting the gains so SOMETHING is wrong but well see.:thup:

Not sure you are understanding me... that isn't what it is.

You are overclocked to 4.4Ghz on your CPU. Since the 8150 and 8350 perform EXACTLY the same when clocked the same, you will not see a difference unless you manage to overclock the 8350 past 4.4GHz.

How are you testing in game? BF4 is tough to compare simply because FPS vary wildly, particularly in multi-player (testing should be done in a single player section, the exact same area if possible). BF4 typically shows solid scaling (I know I have a 295x2). But I run it at a higher res. Chances are, in order to get the most of that setup, you want to switch to Intel to remove that glass ceiling at that VERY low resolution you are playing at with those cards.

ED is completely right about the cpus 8150 at 4.4 = 8350 at 4 4

Also, you will have to buy a free sync monitor if that is the route you plan to go, as gsync does not work with AMD.

well finally got it working how i need.

I upped my default ram speed to 2400mhz and bf4 is finally seeing the gains i needed.

I had to do EVERY little piece of advice though until just now i did that and turned on frame pacing in catalyst.

thanks everyone whom helped me. :thumb:

Thank you for hijacking my thread Bat-p. Will start new thread elsewhere.
you have 3 posts at this forum, including two posts in this thread (You started 0 threads - this is not your thread, it's for everyone). I'm not sure what you are talking about here since you last posted in this thread 4/17.

How can we help?! Perhaps start your own thread so we can take care of you? Not sure what is going on.....

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe I never posted here yet. First I know my CPU is bottlenecking my GPUs like nothing crazy, but that will change some here in a short while, will post new scores to reflect how much they were bottlenecked. But just to show you the pure brute force of these cards alone is a nice thing too.

User id: t1nm4n
GPU type: 290X
Brand and model: Asus R9 290X DCII OC
GPU-Z validation: I'll update this later as I'm away from my PC.
3D Mark 11P link: Linky
3D Mark 11P graphics score: 8147
3D Mark Firestrike link: Clicky
3D Mark Firestrike graphics score: 9063

Can't OC the cards too much, the PSU isn't big enough for Crossfire and OC'd GPU and CPU, but that will be solved shortly. Although I did play with it some until the PSU started sounding alarms, or it was my UPS makin noise, but I got around 1125Mhz on stock voltage and 5800Mhz mem, temps were actually pretty good if I recall, like 85c fan 100% (earplugs were in). Will have to do all this again when I get home in a couple of weeks, that and put this thing under water, should be fun to see what I can get out of this beast before I give it to my mom and build another rig for myself.

VRMcooling.jpg

Yes I changed PSU wires, If only I knew the heat spreader was blue on the ram, it's what I get for not looking at description well enough or clicking on wrong "Add to cart" button.

mblayout.jpg

Needless to say they play games alright up to 4K, some weird fluctuations in FPS at times, like looking up at the sky in a game the FPS jus does this roller coaster from 50 to 60 FPS every 3 secs, doesn't do it with only one card. not here to fix it, although I changed some setting somewhere and it slowed the fluctuation down or it was done in a couple of game updates, but I digress this is for showin off your sweet cards, had them a year now, and looking forward to seein what the new King from ATI will be like.

That 860i should be plenty to run the two cards in xfire with that CPU as long as you don't overclock like crazy

I sold my 8350, for a z97 mobo and 4790K.
Should give me plenty of headroom.
I wanted X99 but it's still too pricey for my pockets.

That 860i should be plenty to run the two cards in xfire with that CPU as long as you don't overclock like crazy

The 4350 is gonna be used elsewhere and an 8320 will be OC'd in the CHV-z with two OC'd 290x's, Used that PSU calculator to enter numbers in and it suggested 1000w+ so I went with a 1500W, overkill, but what's this hobby if not an excuse to go overboard.

Wow, I can't believe I never posted here yet. First I know my CPU is bottlenecking my GPUs like nothing crazy, but that will change some here in a short while, will post new scores to reflect how much they were bottlenecked. But just to show you the pure brute force of these cards alone is a nice thing too.

User id: t1nm4n
GPU type: 290X
Brand and model: Asus R9 290X DCII OC
GPU-Z validation: I'll update this later as I'm away from my PC.
3D Mark 11P link: Linky
3D Mark 11P graphics score: 8147
3D Mark Firestrike link: Clicky
3D Mark Firestrike graphics score: 9063

Can't OC the cards too much, the PSU isn't big enough for Crossfire and OC'd GPU and CPU, but that will be solved shortly. Although I did play with it some until the PSU started sounding alarms, or it was my UPS makin noise, but I got around 1125Mhz on stock voltage and 5800Mhz mem, temps were actually pretty good if I recall, like 85c fan 100% (earplugs were in). Will have to do all this again when I get home in a couple of weeks, that and put this thing under water, should be fun to see what I can get out of this beast before I give it to my mom and build another rig for myself.

View attachment 164360

Yes I changed PSU wires, If only I knew the heat spreader was blue on the ram, it's what I get for not looking at description well enough or clicking on wrong "Add to cart" button.

View attachment 164361

Needless to say they play games alright up to 4K, some weird fluctuations in FPS at times, like looking up at the sky in a game the FPS jus does this roller coaster from 50 to 60 FPS every 3 secs, doesn't do it with only one card. not here to fix it, although I changed some setting somewhere and it slowed the fluctuation down or it was done in a couple of game updates, but I digress this is for showin off your sweet cards, had them a year now, and looking forward to seein what the new King from ATI will be like.

Nice system! :D
I'll add the scores to the spreadsheet. I no longer have a 290, or any gpu for that matter, not for now...in time I'll be able to get back into gaming and overclocking hopefully. For now, I can drool at your rigs :p

I sold my 8350, for a z97 mobo and 4790K.
Should give me plenty of headroom.
I wanted X99 but it's still too pricey for my pockets.

I traded my i7 3820 for an fx8120 system and extra money...times of need.

Why waste money?

If he can afford it it's fine...I would have gotten a x99 board, if going for overkill but well.
As for the cpu, the 8320 is a powerhouse for gaming if oced, no prob there. (I have an fx8120, used to have a 2600k, then 3770k, then i7 3820 - but never more than 1 gpu).

Back