• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Primer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dudleycpa

Hello All

I'm trying to understand Windows 8 better. I've been using Windows XP and have some catching up to do.:facepalm:

Anyone know any good links or resources to learn?

For example - are apps always left open or does the O/S close them after a specific amount of time?

I've noticed that sometimes the computer goes to sleep, but at other times it stays on. The user has set "sleep" mode to five minutes.

It is very different than other Microsoft O/S. We're running it on a very modest system and it is fast.:D

I actually walked someone through uninstalling "nagware". It wasn't easy with my extremely limited understanding of the O/S.:mad:

Not interested in using any mods on it - just basic user friendly primer would be most appreciated!

Thanks to everyone in advance!:thup:

Youtube?

Honestly, I just used it... and figured out I didn't like it out of the box (that a few minutes of time can resolve, note).

Default out of the box settings may sit better with someone using a touch screen non-PC device and someone who has never used a computer before than with an old-time experienced PC user. More than 50% of experienced users (and by definition, the majority) dislike Windows 8's default settings, which can be adjusted quickly and easily.

If after a while you still find things that annoy you, know that you are not alone and that you too can have a Windows XP-looking Windows 8 or the more frequently used option of Windows 7-looking Windows 8 from the moment you turn it on until Shut Down using and modifying this freeware http://www.classicshell.net/.

After going through all the Windows 8 primers available through web searching, post back if you think any particular one was better than the other.

Last edited:
Found some helpful links. Will be more than happy to post if anyone needs them.

Alt+F4 closes apps. The UI (aka Metro) does update on it's own. It doesn't make a lot of difference, however it is true. There are two IE - the one that launches from the Metro UI and another one that launches from the desktop.

There is a tile for the desktop - once you open it you can go back and forth using the Windows key.

If you have two instances of IE open you need to alt+tab between the two. Using the window key only switches between the Metro UI and the "open application".

It is a little weird at first - it may take some time to get use to. OTOH it shouldn't be that big a deal. So, Win XP and Win 7 are easy to go back and forth on. Windows 8 is totally different - I remember someone saying that it was really "designed" for use on a touchscreen computer. That seems stretching it a bit.

Thanks Earthdog and c627627 for you help!:thup:

Much more reading to do!:p

Back