• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD R9 270 Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Just when some may have thought the dust has settled on AMD's 'new' GPUs, we are seeing the first signs of the gaps being filled in with the R9 270 being released today. This, and perhaps a 250X and 260 should fill in the performance differences nicely between the already released 250, 260X, and 270X that we will see on our front page shortly. AMD markets this card as 'the highest performing 150W card', so let us see how that actually works out with our new suite of benchmarks!

... Return to article to continue reading.

Great review, was a easy read.

A suggestion if I may? Could you perhaps try changing the bar-graph's colors a bit for easy reading? Solid color (Blue,green,red, yellow etc.) for cards and if there are any OCed versions or model variants of it (GTX 660 & GTX 660TI) use that a different shade then?

It could just be my monitor with some shades of white/bright silver but it's difficult to judge sometimes.

which cpu

nice Review, but what about the cpu you have used ? i have a Celeron 2.6 ghz with two cores. would a Card like that make sense or is it just wasted Money and would i be better of with a cheaper 7770 or should i wait for the r7 260 maybe ? would be interesting to see how These Cards perform in different Systems.

Great review, was a easy read.

A suggestion if I may? Could you perhaps try changing the bar-graph's colors a bit for easy reading? Solid color (Blue,green,red, yellow etc.) for cards and if there are any OCed versions or model variants of it (GTX 660 & GTX 660TI) use that a different shade then?

It could just be my monitor with some shades of white/bright silver but it's difficult to judge sometimes.
Thanks for the input! I can clearly see the differences between them on my crappy dell monitor at the office, so that is odd what you are seeing. I 'theme' my graphs to the site's colors that is why I use Blue/Yellow to have the card we are reviewing stick out and the different shades from white to grey. If a lot more people feel the same way, I will look in to changing it though. :)

Thanks again for reading!

nice Review, but what about the cpu you have used ? i have a Celeron 2.6 ghz with two cores. would a Card like that make sense or is it just wasted Money and would i be better of with a cheaper 7770 or should i wait for the r7 260 maybe ? would be interesting to see how These Cards perform in different Systems.
The CPU used was a 4770K at 4Ghz. Not sure if the Celeron would hold it back or not (I would imagine not too much but it will depend on the game really) as I do not have that CPU... sorry.

Last edited:
The 760 kills it really...and is priced much higher ($50+ / 25%+).

Here is Vantage, 11, Heaven and Fire Strike results for each card.

(270)

(EVGA 760 SC)

So are the only differences between the 270 and 270x the clock/memory speeds?

Power Phaze

That's weird I bought this card and it has a 5+1 power phase, The reference has the regular 4+1 power phase, And the MSI and ASUS models have a 6+1 power phase. Why would HIS not go with the 6+1 phase? And is the 5+1 really going to make much of a difference from the reference 4+1? I almost got the MSI model because it was $179 at the time and my GTX 650 Ti is a MSI, And then exactly 3 days before I had the money to buy it Newegg raised the price to $189 LOL, So I bought the HIS model instead since it was still $179 and because it also had the dual fans and I thought it looked better than the other 270's. I figured it was supposed to be a overclockers card since it had the dual fans, So I figured it would have the same power phases as the others. I hope it overclocks decent when the time comes that I need too.

Sorry I did not mean to bump a old thread, I thought my reply would be on the review page and not the forum.

Back