• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From MSI 990fxagd65 to Sabrtooth990fxr2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blozz

Registered
hey guys, im kinda hoping that i can upgrade my old mother board, the MSI 990fxa gd-65 motherboard to the Sabertooth 990fx R2 by ASUS purely to help overclock, i believe my current motherboard is not powerful enough to get anything over 4.2 on my 8350... will this sabertooth be able to push that much further with a corsair H55?
im also looking at upgrading power supply for 770 4gb SLI (in the near future) and im not sure whether its worth getting a decent 750 watt or an average 800+watt one,
this is the place ill be buying everything from so if you can help me find a nice cheap powersupply that will let me run 2 770 4gb twin frozrs that would really help me out :)
http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=98

Thanks, brendan :attn::ty:

hey guys, im kinda hoping that i can upgrade my old mother board, the MSI 990fxa gd-65 motherboard to the Sabertooth 990fx R2 by ASUS purely to help overclock, i believe my current motherboard is not powerful enough to get anything over 4.2 on my 8350... will this sabertooth be able to push that much further with a corsair H55?
im also looking at upgrading power supply for 770 4gb SLI (in the near future) and im not sure whether its worth getting a decent 750 watt or an average 800+watt one,
this is the place ill be buying everything from so if you can help me find a nice cheap powersupply that will let me run 2 770 4gb twin frozrs that would really help me out :)
http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=98

Thanks, brendan :attn::ty:

The Sabertooth should be just what the doctor ordered to replace the MSI board - Actually the doc (Me :D) did order a Sabertooth a few weeks ago and it's doing great. :thup:

For using a 8350 along with a pair of GPU's SLI'ed, yeah I'd go ahead and get a larger PSU for your setup to be sure it's getting enough power without having to worry about whether the system as a whole is getting enough power in the first place.

Sorry I can't help with the H55 since I run custom watercooling so there is nothing I can relate to with one of those ready made units... :-/

ahhh thank you for the response, i shall duck down later on tonight (in australia so its 3:20pm) atm.
would a 750watt PSU suffice for future SLI?
and i'm also going to try get a NH-D14 cooler and sell the H55. it's only about a week old but its not really what im looking for :)

would you be able to quickly look over this site for me and tell me what psu you would recommend, im tossing up between the http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10670 and http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=4991

Just realized i said "tossing up between"
Can't wait for some obvious troll to come along and point it out ._.:bang head:bang head:bang head:facepalm:

First a couple of things Blozz. You may want to concentrate on your other thread and see what you can actually acconplish with your current parts. You really haven't made an attempt to actually OC your current rig. You're right about the H55. It's just not adequate enough for the 8 core CPU.
I think that unless you're willing to go all out with cooling, like a real water loop, your current parts plus a decent cooler should put you into the 4.5-4.6 range. If you find that the MSI mobo is an issue "after" trying to OC then by all means replace it. But as I said if you want big clocks you need big cooling. I have good cooling and still only run my 8350 at 4.64 daily and my 9370 at 4.8 the added volts really aren't worth it for day to day stuff.
Here's a link for some tried and reviewed PSUs

It does not take very much g00gling.

IS my motherboard MSI 990FXA-GD65 holding me back when overclocking my AMD FX-8350????
using cpu multiplier clocked it to 4.5ghz. boots to windows and everything seems fine but prime95 BSODS on me - even after increasing vCore to 1.5v.

finally got a stable manual overclock at 4.2ghz passed prime and using 1.376vcore.

motherboard has NO LLC but it has LED PHASE CONTROL (which i disabled). I am suffering from massive vdroop and i dont know if it is possible to overclock past 4.2ghz using this board.

In the case of my GD-80 it will droop .07 volts at 100% load so 1.48 + .07 = 1.55 volt setting in control center .

Copied >> I had one, it died on me and took an FX8320 with it. Got it RMA, replaced by MSI. After less than a week, it too died on me and took another FX8320 with it.

Luckily for me, both processors were less than 2 weeks old and they were replaced by the retailer.

I'm not trying to scare you, all I'm saying is you should be careful of that board. << End Copy.

If that GD-65 still has no LLC in bios, then he is in for a rough road to overclocking nirvana.
RGone...

I knew they had issues but I didn't realize they were a disaster waiting to happen.

If that GD-65 still has no LLC in bios, then he is in for a rough road to overclocking nirvana.
RGone...
Almost shot my coffee through my nose on that one Gonester! :thup:

Blozz, we do not see many Msi boards come through here, probably due to the bad reputation they received from exploding Vrm sections. I have had bad luck with Msi boards on 2 occasions, luckily the boards didn't take my Cpu's out with it, as mentioned in RGones post.

You will need to address 2 things whether you get a new motherboard or not, both mentioned above. If you're looking to push hard on the Cpu, nothing short of big air or really good H2O is going to cut it. Additionally, depending on how far you plan on overclocking the Cpu and also the Gpu's, needs to be determined. If it's for gaming then you should be able to get by with a 750w "Quality" Psu. If you're looking to push the pee out of them and bench, I would go larger. My 8350 when clocked over 5.0 with my Gtx 580 in it overclocked as well, draws 710w from the wall. Now that figure isn't 100% accurate and you have to figure in the Psu efficiency, but it gives you an idea of how much power these things use when clocked out of spec.

Generally @ "johan45", since I did not use the quote feature. Post may fit others.

The GD-65 is now out in Rev V2 and even in that later revision, it is still my understanding that there maybe no LLC. Without LLC you could only clock that board using Offset Vcore. Well with any thought to overall life span in my mind. Using Offset Vcore if it were available is not easy to teach by the net. U know it took you and I a couple of wet runs to get it. Sitting at the keyboard until it is correct. Hehehe.

Can you imagine a 0.07 Vdoop? It would be like an under-wired home with the lights dimming when the refrigerator comes on or the A/C. Not good on parts and pieces is my true guesstimation.

It appears that there have likely been more mobo failures of various models and brands than we know about. The later versions of a 9xxx board seem less liikely to be able to overclock like mad. The mobo companies response is that they are building the boards according to AMD spec. Well LLC is n0t in any cpu makers specs. Hehehe.

I just believe they mobo companies have made changes to protect themselves. Keep the Mosfets alive on the mobo if they do not instead upgrade the components to endure the strain of FX 8 cores on all the time and clocked to hale and back.
Bobert...ster.

I just believe they mobo companies have made changes to protect themselves. Keep the Mosfets alive on the mobo if they do not instead upgrade the components to endure the strain of FX 8 cores on all the time and clocked to hale and back.
Bobert...ster.

First rule of good busness!! Protect your profit even at the consumers expense.

Getting back to PSU's, I'd get as large of a PSU as you are comfortable with costwise and here's why or at least my personal take on the subject. :screwy:

Contrary to popular belief, PSU's of a given wattage rating will not cram or force X amount of wattage into the system, instead all PSU's really do is give the system what it calling for to operate, nothing more.
If that were the case my Socket A's would have been nuked by my 750W PSU earlier and yes, even the 850W I have would have killed them in short order but that hasn't happened. By the same token, I would have fried the starter in an old Honda Civic I owned years ago with an 1100 CCA battery I had in it but that never happened either and I drove that car everyday for at least 3 years.

You'd want the additional wattage capacity for obvious reasons - First off a PSU that is "Just right" for your expected wattage demand wil more or less be operating at it's rated limit.
That means the unit will be loaded down at or near 100% of it's rated capacity all the time and that's not a good thing. Stressing your components at or near their limit all the time shortens their lifespan, makes them run hotter and also makes it more prone to fail and PSU's can and will take out more than themselves when they do go.

You'd want to overspec your anticipated demand for power for the following reasons:

1: The PSU when operating at or near 100% capacity isn't as capable of handling spikes in load demand, these changes in power demand occur all the time and the PSU must absorb these changes or sudden demands for it. A PSU that's overspec'ed will be more able to handle these load spikes without as much risk of ill effect towards the PSU.

2: VDroop becomes a problem if the PSU is already running at it's limit - Simply put, if it's already at it's max, you won't get any more from it and it takes x amount of wattage and voltage to achieve a given clock. Based on how hard you plan on running it, loading it down then placing even more load on the PSU always spells trouble. VDroop in itself can have a nasty effect on components under harsh conditions and will contribute to components becoming unstable and running hotter along with a shorter lifespan = More prone to crash or even fail. A good example would be trying to start a car with a weak battery vs using a good battery. A weak battery will make it turn over slower along with the starter getting really hot in a very short amount of time.

The electrical energy once introduced into the system from the battery has to go somewhere and if it doesn't have enough "Ommph" behind it (Low voltage/low amount of amperage), instead of it being dissapated as motion or work performed it's wasted as heat as in the starter itself heats up fast compared to one used with a good battery. Keep sawing away on the starter with the weak battery and the starter will fry very quickly.

Your system behaves in the same basic way, if it doesn't have enough "Ommph" behind it, it too will be subject to the same effects and that's why an overspec'ed PSU isn't a bad thing. Some will say it will use more power but that's really not true - PSU's feed the system what it needs based on demand for power, they don't cram or force excess wattage into the system and the extra capacity simply means it can handle a heavier demand for power more comfortably.

Personally I tend to go somewhere between 100 to 200W higher (Sometimes more) than my expected demand under a heavy load to be sure all is OK. This also helps to an extent for future upgrades for better components that might draw more wattage than what you are currently using.

Note as stated this is my personal take on PSU's and so far it's worked well for me. I've never had a PSU kick the bucket under any conditions (Yet).

Last edited:
Back