• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! Good work on the water droplets. That looks very difficult to get the 'perfect' shot you were looking for. The ones you did get look pretty sweet though. :)

Thanks Hokie. I played around a little bit yesterday, and came to the conclusion that the possibilities with water drops are pretty endless. Still experimenting with setup, but here's a pic of a "collision" from yesterday.

f/13, ISO 400, 1/250 sec, Flash on, 163mm, Canon 60D, EF-S 55-250mm IS
IMG_0007-2.jpg

We went to the 18th annual Native American Heritage Celebration yesterday. It was cloudy (as it seems to be when I want to take photos), but the colors were so amazing it didn't matter anyway.

I'd say that was a pretty amazing day of shooting! Great work!

A couple of shots from last night's Holidazzle Parade. Probably the most challenging thing I've ever tried to shoot... moving lights at various intensities.

f/1.4, ISO 1600, 1/250 sec, Flash off, 50mm, Canon 60D, EF-50mm
IMG_0281.jpg

f/1.4, ISO 1600, 1/400 sec, Flash off, 50mm, Canon 60D, EF-
50mm IMG_0283-2.jpg

f/1.4, ISO 1600, 1/400 sec, Flash off, 50mm, Canon 60D, EF-50mm
IMG_0300.jpg

Last edited:
They turned out great Dark; I imagine that was indeed quite difficult. :)

Over Thanksgiving, we lit our first fire of the year so of course I took a couple photos of it to see how it would turn out.

f/5, ISO 200, 1/4 sec, 42 mm, no flash

jv-first-2013-fire_01.JPG

This second one is a crop from another photo that wasn't great, but this particular flame was cool looking.

f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/4 sec, 120 mm, no flash

jv-first-2013-fire_03.jpg
(This is the one from which it was cropped.)

Nice shots Hokie!
That flame looks...magical, almost wispy? :)

EDIT:
Might as well share a pic or two :)
This one is from a park called "Killbear Provincial Park" in Parry Sound Ontario.
One of the best parks I've been to.

It rained all week while we were there but I got this picture when the rain finally stopped.

Taken with my phone, 5MP camera, LG C800G.
IMG171.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic photos everyone! Is there a good forum for learning how to take shots like these. (As Helpful as OCF). I get a few shots like these once in a while but it's too random for me to guess why. I have a Nikon P100. My latest good pic was with my Samsung Galaxy S4.
Flash: off | focal length: 4.2MM | W/B: auto | aperture: 2.2 | exposure time: 1/24 | ISO: 125

20131123_075056_zpsd9c45b9a.jpg

ps hopefully pic shows up. First time using photo bucket mobile app. Lol

Last edited:
Fantastic photos everyone! Is there a good forum for learning how to take shots like these. (As Helpful as OCF). I get a few shots like these once in a while but it's too random for me to guess why. I have a Nikon P100. My latest good pic was with my Samsung Galaxy S4.
I like the snowy trees. :)

A whole heck of a lot I learned, I learned at Ken Rockwell's site. I haven't ventured into photography forums yet; I have enough of those. However, just click around his site and read, read, read. It's superb advice, in language anyone with a decent amount of common sense can comprehend and, more importantly, apply.

Fantastic photos everyone! Is there a good forum for learning how to take shots like these. (As Helpful as OCF).

I like the snowy trees. :)

A whole heck of a lot I learned, I learned at Ken Rockwell's site. I haven't ventured into photography forums yet; I have enough of those. However, just click around his site and read, read, read. It's superb advice, in language anyone with a decent amount of common sense can comprehend and, more importantly, apply.

+1 to this. Ken's site is pretty darn good. I also like cambridgeincolour.com. Just like hokie, I avoid the forums for the most part. If I know I'm going to be shooting something and I'm not sure about it, I'll just google "photograph waterfalls" for instance, and you can usually figure out what you need pretty quickly.

Last edited:
f/4.5, ISO 1600, 1/25 sec, 38 mm, no flash, -0.7 ev (Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS)

jv-lucky-strike-lighting-2013_01.JPG

Back