• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok then, processed photos from our beach trip! Here are my least favorite two of the seven I chose - my second attempt at long exposure star photos (the first was last year from the same location, with worse results, so at least there's that). I'm kicking myself for forgetting to turn IS off. Oh well, can't go back!

First up is the Venus/Jupiter conjunction, with a thunderstorm in the distance.

18901652080_ae615964a2_b.jpg June Venus/Jupiter ConjGorgeous Teal Watersunction by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

Second is a shot of a nice pier with restaurant, bar and fishing. You can hear the music from the deck of the house we were at.

19063159506_cf10969159_b.jpg Stars Over Pier Revelers by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

stop it, you are making me feel so inadequate :(

Will those be up on your site?

I'd have to go up to Crater Lake, Oregon to even get a glimpse of Northern lights. Maybe this summer I'll catch a break and get up there during a display while we're still in the solar maximum sunspot cycle.

Those are stunners OW. Can you see that (obviously to a lesser extent) with the naked eye, or is it more of a fleeting glimpse that only comes out with long exposures? Either way you're very fortunate to live where you can capture such beauty!

Moving backward in the day on our beach excursion, we find some gorgeous mid-morning water off the North Carolina coast. Its coloring was only like this one day. While visible to the naked eye, it popped even more using a circular polarizer.

18903220109_34cc19f079_b.jpg Teal Waters of the Carolina Coast by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

19063159736_efaed28eba_b.jpg Ready for Relaxation by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

Man I miss the beach!

Those are stunners OW. Can you see that (obviously to a lesser extent) with the naked eye, or is it more of a fleeting glimpse that only comes out with long exposures? Either way you're very fortunate to live where you can capture such beauty!

Normally the aurora is harder to see, but that night you could see them dancing overhead even before it was fully dark. Must have been one heck of a solar flare to bring them out like that.

I hardly ever use my polarizer anymore... I find it's a hassle that often isn't needed when I post process stuff. Adds layers of glass without me seeing enough benefit, except when I need to get rid of reflections. But sometimes, the light is just harsh enough that it's still required.

Like today, for instance. Without the CPL, this shot would have looked dreadful.

DSC_4315.jpg

Here we have the last of the Nags Head photos, a sunrise I hadn't planned on getting up for - I just bolted up at 6:00 wide awake, so I grabbed the camera and went outside. I missed the actual sunrise by about 15 minutes, but the sky was still dynamic enough to give some nice images.

18901651960_ffbbda3ffc_b.jpg Sunrise on the East Coast by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

18903218139_fa332b7500_b.jpg Endless Expanse of the Atlantic by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

Last up is my favorite from our time at the beach. It all just seemed to come together for this one.

18468693093_8b7d399228_b.jpg Fishing at Sunrise by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

In other news, I was gifted the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM yesterday! Just messing around with it in the house, 250 mm doesn't seem like as much of a difference from 135 mm as I had expected. I'll probably think differently when I can get outside and see things from a distance though. There isn't really time to mess with it this weekend, but I'll get out and play as soon as time allows. :)

Welcome to my world :muahaha:

Nice catch.

Yeah, I actually thought about how you try to frame shots and such while trying for that shot :)

Side note: that was taken from the balcony of my apartment in Charlotte.
A storm earlier that same week tore down half of the tree that covered my balcony, so this was the first time I could try to catch lightning from that spot!

Caught that one in about 20 min of standing there hitting the button and waiting LOL
You can do the math for shutter speed and number of (missed) pictures... :p
Next time just get a kite and a key, works every time. ;) Nice shot Atmin. :thup:

Back