• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First attempt at a HDR image tonight. Found a nice spot while driving, and the sun was hitting the clouds just right. I didn't have a tripod, so the full size image is a bit blurry, but I think this turned out alright. I should try to setup a dark and light spot in my apartment so I can fiddle with it without having to worry about timing.

ISO 100, 18mm focal, f/4.0, 1/400sec; 3 shots no tripod (except my car door)
IMG_1909.jpg

HDR on the move is tricky stuff indeed. my tip is if you can kneel down and rest your elbow on your leg... or lean against a wall... or over a surface... or wedge the camera device against something solid your part way into the battle... the rest is taking a normal breath in and holding it while you gently press the button.
I find it extremely hard because meningitis destroyed the nerves that keep my brain in communication with my inner ears so I wobble a fair bit plus I've had a motor problem all my life and I shake anyway.

I also take half a dozen shots at the same subject and time then I can pick through which is best when I get them home on a decent 60" screen.

nice picture anway... we don't get golden sunsets here... they tend to be warmer peachy colours and pinks :)

A happy photographer is one who thinks a site is hopeless, and yet explores it anyway.

DSC_3218.jpg

This one comes straight from a honey store in Asheville, NC today.
Oh, and this was taken with my Droid Turbo.

Attachments

• 1434246038762.jpg
    1434246038762.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 131
Bit of an obscure snap for the day. Just a random couple of photos of one of the many bridges that run the length of the country on the mainline all the way from Scotland to London.
I walk under and past it very often but today felt compelled to stop and take a snap as I pondered the age it must be. I normally look the other direction crossing the smaller foot bridge I took the shots from as being local I've spotted quite a lot of king fishers on that stretch of the river... which are always an uplifting and vivid bird to spot :)

DSC_1469.jpg

DSC_1472.jpg

just a homely timeless structure I've failed to appreciate the significance of for decades.
:shrug:

The mainline was built in 1840
The bridge in the foreground 1893
Over the years I've known a homeless guy live on the bank under the right arch.
I have a vague recollection of them pulling a body out from under there some decades back.
And when theres been run off from the peaks several miles away due to a lot of rivers converging in the area ive seen water levels come over the foot brifge I took the shots from and flood the road to the right to two or three feet.
On a couple of occasions all bridges out of the valley have been cut off with flood waters and locals have brought small boats to ferry people on foot under the bridge.

I'm sure many more things have occured over the centuries. No shortage of history here and its easy to overlook that appreciation when so many links to the past are still standing in this country.

I try to affirm my appreciation of the beauty that surrounds me despite having a very trying and exposed climate much of the year.

And i long for a decent camera... I see Foxes, hare, rabbits, adder snakes and a whole other plethora of rarer sights but dont have the equipment to catch the moment. :-/

Makes you think how much is to be lost in any one persons living memory :)

Daytime lightning can be tricky, but it also can be very much worth the effort. This is one of some 700 shots from yesterday evening.

DSC_3859.jpg

Some of the best photographers ever had very limited equipment to work with. It's what they did with what they had that made all the difference.

Another shot from Thursday.

This is why I want to go full frame... this shot was done handheld, 28mm wide open at f2.8, ISO 3200. This is the best the D5100 can do before inserting too much noise to be useful. 1/50 exposure and the storm was still blurry. I already had to do a ton of post processing as is... had I been able to go past ISO 6400, I could have possibly had a clean shot of this storm.

It's possible the newer APS-C cameras have better low light performance than mine, but I don't want "just a little" better... I want a significant improvement.

That said, I do plan to try out the D5100's Hi1 and Hi2 modes next time this situation comes up. It'll be noisy, but maybe I'd be able to do at least something with it.

DSC_4088.jpg

Very very nice pictures everyone!
Last weekend had a chance to get out with family to Redding, CA area. It was very hot 2 days 109 F & 106 F
Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay, Shasta
a7ii + FE55mm @ f9, iso-10, 13 sec
Larger View
18872872305_fbb6362642_b.jpg

McArthur Falls Memorial State Park
a7ii + Minolta AF 24mm @ f13, iso-50, 1.6 sec
Larger View
18881099651_306988a55f_b.jpg

Caverns in Lake Shasta
a7ii + FE55mm @ f5.6, iso-6400, 1/15 sec
Larger View
18782422080_257b229067_b.jpg

House Boat vs Jet Ski AKA Rabbit vs Turtle @ Lake Shasta
a7 + FE70-200 @ 70mm, f7.1, iso-100, 1/60 sec
Larger View
18201474974_93df3ccfdf_b.jpg

Lastly, greeting from us. (other daughter is camery shy)
a7ii + Minolta AF 24mm @ f14, iso-50, 0.5 sec
18605413249_2ecbccbaf6_b.jpg

Heh - 51,244 shutter actuations on the D5100 and I finally feel like I'm starting to get somewhere with this picture taking stuff :D

Back