• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow; amazing aurora photo OW.

REALLY hated that there were tents blocking the bottom of these buildings in the beautiful light, but I captured what I could.

70D, EF-S 18-135mm IS @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/640 sec, ISO 100

15292238517_223c1cb5de_b.jpg City of Raleigh Museum by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Wow that is freakin AWESOME! Do you mind if I DL that for a wallpaper?

Sure, go ahead.

The reds were very, very vivid out there. Never saw them so pronounced... probably something to do with the elevation out there. Parts of the Cypress Hills park are higher in elevation than Banff.

Tried some more macro shots with random stuff on my desk.

Nikon P100 | f/2.8 | 1/5sec | ISO-160 | Focal 5mm | Focal Length 26 | No Flash
DSCN3091.jpg

Nikon P100 | f/2.8 | 1/5sec | ISO-160 | Focal 5mm | Focal Length 26 | No Flash
DSCN3092.jpg

Had to share my sunset from Reesor Lake yesterday, too. I would so move here if I could, but being a major interprovincial park I don't think they'd let me.

DSC_3500.jpg

Short hike down the river this morning. I'll be on the road for the next 3 weeks, so I'm sure all the leaves will be gone by the time I'm done with that. Summer sure flew by, didn't it?

60D, 16-35L @ 35mm, F/8, ISO 100, 1/50sec
IMG_3404.jpg

60D, 16-35L @ 16mm, F/6.3, ISO 100, 1/320sec
IMG_3409.jpg

60D, 16-35L @ 16mm, F/10, ISO 100, 1/40sec
IMG_3398.jpg

A couple of shots from the NC State Fair this past Sunday.

14964393603_3e1c7f3d02_b.jpg Ferris Wheel at the NC State Fair by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

14964393373_50daa5b66b_b.jpg NC State Fair at Sunset by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

It's too bad the kiddo is still too young to stay until close. Night is when the fair (with its copious amounts of lighting) comes alive. Oh well...I wouldn't give up the young years for anything. I can shoot the late night fair in a few years.

Found myself a little hidden waterfall today. Someone told me it was there, so out I went with my variable ND filter in hand. This was shot with my 50mm AI-S.

The only regret I have is not remembering to bring the remote shutter release. Had to do everything via self timer.

DSC_3743.jpg

B-e-a-utiful colors there Dnb

It's been a pretty good year here for color. It's been fairly dry, which means more reds than we've had here in several years. On the downside, it's been very windy here, so the leaves have fallen as fast as they've turned.

I was playing around a little making myself a new facebook cover today. I'm hoping to be able to take my own advice tomorrow...

IMG_3421.jpg

Love that shot :thup:

Gotta do one more. Forgot to put the ND filter on the camera for this one, but it's a 4 shot HDR image so that helps.

Still practicing my HDR skills, but I'm quite happy with this one as is.

Untitled_HDR4.jpg

DnB & OW, both great shots!

Fall is flying by and it's so dry here, the leaves seem to be taking a turbo path right off the trees; at least relative to the time I have to go try and capture them.

Thus I found myself in the woods with my camera while the kiddo was on the playground, trying in vain to get good photos in decent lighting that was lighting very little of interest (in addition to a challenge of shooting only with the nifty fifty, which felt needlessly constrained...I need more prime practice!). Anywho, here are two that turned out ok.

70D, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, f/2.5, 1/125 sec, ISO 125

15456687659_f0301b7b5b_b.jpg Fallen Foliage by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

70D, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, f/3.2, 1/80 sec, ISO 125

15023175843_3dbcdb80d9_b.jpg Fall Colors by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Say hello to my first ever star trail shot. 20 minute exposure using my 28mm Nikkor AI at f2.8, ISO 100.

These are kind of fun if you have the patience to do them.

DSC_3982_S.jpg

I've been wanting to try that for a long time OW. I know of a good spot, just gotta get out there and try it.

Great shot!!!

Thanks! I was surprised how easy it was on the battery. I definitely want to do some more of them.

Step 1 - see million dollar sunrise.
Step 2 - grab the camera with whatever lens is on it and RUN. Forget to bring jacket.
Step 3 - proceed to shoot a ton of soft/fuzzy images because the wrong lens is on the camera.
Step 4 - walk home freezing because you forgot to put a jacket on.
Step 5 - share one of the few good shots with OCForums :D

These sunrises are why I love living here.

DSC_4151.jpg

As if that sunrise wasn't amazing enough, we had a jaw dropping sunset today. I barely had time to get out to the dam and get this shot.

Nikkor 50mm AI-S with 10 stop ND filter... 30 second exposure.

DSC_4303.jpg

Back