• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow DB. Wth is that thing? The detail is staggering! Amazing camera and skills.

Thanks DnB! Great caterpillar (or, spikey crawly thingy, if it's not a caterpillar).
You forgot to add, "that I do not want to wake up and have in my bed" :D

I finally made it out to shoot my grandparents' farm yesterday. Could not have asked for a better sunset... it was glorious.

DSC_1770.jpg

Great shot Dark! I think I found your caterpillar's balding brother :p

60D, EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 300mm, 1/500s, ISO 2000
attachment.php

Attachments

• _MG_0505.jpg
    _MG_0505.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 287
Nice sunset OW!

Great caterpillar shots everyone.

I'd like to get your opinions on the next photo. I got a tip a few months back, and I'm not sure if I really agree with it or not. The tip was... "If your subjects eyes are out of focus, the picture is garbage. If the eyes are in focus, nothing else matters." I got to thinking about that last weekend, and decided to explore it a little bit. Even the eye isn't as sharp as it could have been, but I think you get the idea.

60D, Sigma 105mm macro, ISO 100, f/8, 1/8sec, flash off
IMG_2715.jpg

I'd like to get your opinions on the next photo. I got a tip a few months back, and I'm not sure if I really agree with it or not. The tip was... "If your subjects eyes are out of focus, the picture is garbage. If the eyes are in focus, nothing else matters." I got to thinking about that last weekend, and decided to explore it a little bit. Even the eye isn't as sharp as it could have been, but I think you get the idea.
Nice toad! It really seems to demonstrate how their color camouflages them.

I agree. If you're working working with shallow DOF and have to choose what is in focus, the eyes get it every time. I suppose we are hard wired to look at a subject's eyes to evaluate their intentions. I think we are also hard wired to find spiders creepy. On an intellectual level I know they are beneficial but the big hairy ones still give me a chill.
DSC_6199.JPG

Last edited:
HankB, be sure to post the images in the thread instead of linking offsite ones.

I agree. If you're working working with shallow DOF and have to choose what is in focus, the eyes get it every time. I suppose we are hard wired to look at a subject's eyes to evaluate their intentions. I think we are also hard wired to find spiders creepy. On an intellectual level I know they are beneficial but the big hairy ones still give me a chill.

+1 to Hank. Eyes are the most important part to focus on. It can be beneficial to stop down for greater depth of field, but if you're using larger apertures, make sure the eyes are the focus.

HankB, be sure to post the images in the thread instead of linking offsite ones.

Just for clarity, please make images appear in the thread. It's ok to use off-site hosts except for photobucket, which is horrid. I'd personally prefer no 500px nor Imgur, because those are blocked if I'm browsing from work, but they're still good hosts.

Jim: Question. What kind of bear is best?
Dwight: That's a ridiculous question.
Jim: False. Black bear.
Dwight: That's debatable. There are basically two schools of thought-
Jim: Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
Dwight: Bears don't... What is going on? What are you doing?!

70D, EF-S 18-135mm @ 135mm, f/9, 1/250 sec, ISO 2500

14925351258_278c6ab146_b.jpg American Black Bear by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

This picture was kind of a surprise, and reinforces what I always say about not being afraid to experiment. I was trying to find my way down to the bottom of a waterfall, on a very narrow game trail with a steep drop off to my left. I actually didn't get much farther than where this pic was taken because it just got too dangerous with the soft ground from the rain. Anyway... I had my 16-35 on because I had just finished the upper falls, and really didn't want to change over to my macro lens when I saw this because it was already starting to rain again, so I just set the camera on the ground and pushed the button. I knew the camera moved a bit when I pushed the shutter, so I wasn't expecting it to turn out at all. Obviously it's not as sharp as I would have liked, but it turned out okay for a wide angle lens and no crop.

60D, EF 16-35L @ 16mm, ISO 100, f/22, 13sec.
IMG_2726.jpg

Nice fungus shot and a great demonstration of why a short lens can be so useful. It seems to isolate the subject from the background despite the increased DOF. Did you try any other aperture settings to see what they looked like?

Hokie, where were you when taking the pics of the Bear and Wolf?

D and B it's still a pretty nice shot regardless of whether it's not as sharp as you like, if you didn't say it I would have never noticed :D.

Hokie, where were you when taking the pics of the Bear and Wolf?
At the Museum of Life & Science in Durham, NC. They have four black bears, two red wolves and about half-a-dozen lemurs, plus some farm animals and other various animals in other exhibits. The 'main attraction' as far as animals go are those three, which have habitats that are bigger and better than any zoo I've ever been to.

All of their animals are rescues or on loan from other zoos. They all either had an injury or some extenuating circumstance that keeps them from living in the wild; they didn't go plucking them from the wilderness or anything.

When I first saw the Black Bear pic I was saying to myself, Hokie has balls to get that close to one. Then I saw the wolf and read the exhibit part and was like oh. I've been pretty close to some Brown Bears while mountain biking and I can tell you I turn and ride away quickly. When I say close I mean around 200-300 yards, run away....run away. :D

Back