• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
This thread exists over at XS and it has inspired me to post one here. You can still use The Big Photography Thread if you'd like, of course, but this is more just-photos (and discussion of said photos...feel free to analyze and share opinions on the photos posted here) rather than a general photography discussion/advice thread. The rules for photos will be the same as that thread.

Rules:

If you post photos, there are a couple requirements to keep things reasonable.
  • Max resolution 1280px in either direction.
  • Use .jpg files; .png is simply too large.
  • Photos must be Photos can be uploaded to Overclockers' servers using this method:

attachment.php

• If you post a photo that isn't uploaded here, it will be removed. We want a photo thread in which the photos stay around for as long as Overclockers exists (so far 15 years and going!), not however long your random image host decides to keep them. A photo thread with dead photos is stupid.
  • UPDATE - 3/12/14 - We will allow certain, respectable image hosts to be used in this thread, which will hopefully open up participation somewhat. This is a list of those that can be used, though if you don't see one you use here, feel free to ask and we'll check it out. The biggest thing is - NO PHOTOBUCKET. Most others are ok. Here is the list so far:
    • Flickr
    • 500px
    • Snapfish
    • Smugmug
    • Picasa
  • Note we can be reasonably flexible on pixel size (no 2500px+ photos please!), but please try to limit to the stated 1280px max in either dimension.
  • Please post EXIF data, to include aperture, ISO, shutter speed, focal length and yes/no flash at a minimum. Camera, lens & exposure compensation (if applicable) could be nice too. For example:
    f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/200 sec, 135 mm, No flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS
  • For the most part, please post only ONE photo per 24 hours. If you have multiple photos from one shoot, we can be flexible up to a maximum of five photos.
  • Keep it clean. If it's NSFW, it's not suitable for here.
  • This list may be amended, but is a good set of general guidelines for photos.

Hopefully this isn't too overlapping with the current thread. Remember - this thread = photos and direct discussion of those photos. The Big Photography Thread = general advice/discussion of technique, questions, links to resources, etc.

Additionally, if we only post one per day, we don't blow all our good photos in one post like we were doing in the general thread. I'll also make this one a sticky; hopefully it won't disappear from people's view because of that! :)

Last edited:
I'll start us off. This was during a butterfly release in the Butterfly Pavilion at the NC Museum of Life & Science. A staff member would (gently, with good hands) put a recently morphed butterfly on a kid's hand and it would fly away for the first time. It's a cool experience for the kids...and for the multiple people with cameras (I was totally jealous of this guy's 5D Mark III + L-series telezoom).

f/5.6, ISO 800, 1/200 sec, 135 mm, No flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

jv-nc-mls-11-10_07.JPG

Just to be clear - this isn't MY photo of the day, or ONE photo of the day. This is ANYBODY's photo of the day. Don't make me be the only one posting please. :D

Today is another butterfly photo. The guy in the air was seriously harassing the one on the flower. I think it was some sort of mating display to entice the one sitting there. Thankfully it made for a pretty crazy photo.

f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/80 sec, 135 mm, No flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS (cropped)

jv-nc-mls-11-10_16.jpg

This was cropped a little bit, which made the high ISO look a bit more grainy. Here's the original, with more leaf. The more I look at it, I think I like the un-cropped version better.

f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/80 sec, 135 mm, No flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

jv-nc-mls-11-10_12.JPG

Today's photo is a Hibiscus.

f/5.6, ISO 1250, 1/160 sec, 87mm, No flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

jv-nc-mls-11-10_10.JPG

Just to be clear - this isn't MY photo of the day, or ONE photo of the day. This is ANYBODY's photo of the day. Don't make me be the only one posting please. :D

As if I needed more reasons to get out and shoot... LOL. I like the idea! Been crazy bogged down with work, so haven't even picked up my camera in a couple weeks. I'll get out and get something up this weekend. Thanks Hokie!

As if I needed more reasons to get out and shoot... LOL. I like the idea! Been crazy bogged down with work, so haven't even picked up my camera in a couple weeks. I'll get out and get something up this weekend. Thanks Hokie!

Aye, get out & shoot!

There's no requirement for new photos though...feel free to post things from your archives; that's what I'll be doing when I finish the museum series. :)

For today we'll go back to the butterflies.

f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/250 sec, 135 mm, no flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

jv-nc-mls-11-10_08.JPG

Okay, from the Archives...

A month ago I posted a pic of the Minneapolis skyline at night in the big photography thread. While shooting that pic, I was thinking that the sunrise would reflect nicely off the buildings early in the morning. Several mornings of hitting the bridge while still dark and setting up, freezing and waiting, I almost got the pic I saw in my head.

f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/8 sec, 53 mm, No flash, Canon 60D, EF-S 18-55mm IS
IMG_0033.jpg

Excellent cityscape! :thup: I still don't know a good place to catch Raleigh. Some day I'll have time to drive around.

Shooting through glass is always kind of iffy, especially with flash, but sometimes you get lucky.

Poison Dart Frog
f/4.5, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, 29 mm, flash on, Canon 60D, EF-S 18-55mm IS
IMG_0193.jpg

Nice shot of the frog! I have quite a few shots of those, but through the glass is quite difficult.

Love the color contrast between the frog and the green leaves very nice.

Anyhow glad I saw this, I'm only just starting to play with my camera in manual. Here's a shot I took, down in Long Beach Island NJ this summer.
Canon Rebel XSI f/4.5, ISO 200, 1/80 sec, 55mm, Flash off.
IMG_3782-1-Edit-1-1a.jpg

Aye, get out & shoot!

There's no requirement for new photos though...feel free to post things from your archives; that's what I'll be doing when I finish the museum series. :)

For today we'll go back to the butterflies.

f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/250 sec, 135 mm, no flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

View attachment 135262

That's a very impressive photo for that high of an ISO (from my very limited experience of ISO quality numbers)

Thanks! It's a little noisy if you start looking closely at the full res photo, but for ISO 3200 it did turn out quite well. The T3 is funny about ISO. It shows bad noise in some situations and not-so-bad in others; I can't figure it out. I'd still like to get a 70D for better high ISO performance, but you shoot with what you can afford. :)

Speaking of high ISO, aren't these guys cute?

f/5.6, ISO 3200, 1/4 sec, 67 mm, no flash, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS (shot through glass)

jv-nc-mls-11-10_02.JPG

Anyhow glad I saw this, I'm only just starting to play with my camera in manual. Here's a shot I took, down in Long Beach Island NJ this summer.

Nice pic Mandrake... good catch!

Thanks! It's a little noisy if you start looking closely at the full res photo, but for ISO 3200 it did turn out quite well. The T3 is funny about ISO. It shows bad noise in some situations and not-so-bad in others; I can't figure it out. I'd still like to get a 70D for better high ISO performance, but you shoot with what you can afford. :)

Speaking of high ISO, aren't these guys cute?

Love the owls! I find ISO to be funny as well. I've shot absolutely horrid pics at 1600, and acceptable ones at 3200. I really need to work on figuring that out, as I have a shoot planned within the next couple of weeks that will require much higher ISO than I normally venture into.

Last edited:
This one comes from the archives. No clue on the EXIF data, unless someone knows of a program to pull them. (Windows Properties shows nothing in the spots)

Was taken a few years ago. Only lighting was a street light above and in front of my car.

Didn't do any editing, this is completely as-taken.

Motorola Droid 2, No Flash

377584_10150396569809330_620089329_8326384_1718933600_n.jpg

Edit:
Decided to Photoshop the image I just put up real quick. About 5 minutes or so gave me this (might have gone a touch too dark though):

RSX_Photoshop.jpg

Last edited:
Great colors Dark_n_Beyond!

Firespike (in the running for coolest flower name)

f/5.6, ISO 640, 1/100 sec, 69mm, Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS

jv-nc-mls-11-10_09.JPG

The more I look at that pic, Hokie, the more I like it.

To cool things off a bit, I have a bit of water. I've never tried water drops before, but my kitchen faucet was dripping into a glass in the sink, and it gave me the idea. I didn't spend any time at it, really, and didn't get the perfect drop by any means. What I did get, though, has me wanting to pursue this subject further.

f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/250 sec, Flash on, 250mm, Canon 60D, EF-S 55-250mm IS

IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

Last edited:
To cool things off a bit, I have a bit of water. I've never tried water drops before, but my kitchen faucet was dripping into a glass in the sink, and it gave me the idea. I didn't spend any time at it, really, and didn't get the perfect drop by any means. What I did get, though, has me wanting to pursue this subject further.
Now that is cool Dark. It would probably be ridiculously hard to do, it would be cool if you could get a close up of the actual drop in the first shot. If you look at it it is reflecting something. I've seen photos of water drop reflections and I find them interesting.

The more I look at that pic, Hokie, the more I like it.
Thanks! Good work on the water droplets. That looks very difficult to get the 'perfect' shot you were looking for. The ones you did get look pretty sweet though. :)

We went to the 18th annual Native American Heritage Celebration yesterday. It was cloudy (as it seems to be when I want to take photos), but the colors were so amazing it didn't matter anyway.

These were all taken with my standard Canon T3, EF-S 18-135mm IS, so I'll leave that off the EXIF data.

f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/200 sec, 135 mm, No flash
jv-nat-amer-fest-11-23-13_07.JPG

f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/250 sec, 135 mm, No flash
jv-nat-amer-fest-11-23-13_08.JPG

f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/200 sec, 135 mm, No flash
jv-nat-amer-fest-11-23-13_09.JPG

f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/250 sec, 135 mm, No flash
jv-nat-amer-fest-11-23-13_10.JPG

f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/160 sec, 100 mm, No flash
jv-nat-amer-fest-11-23-13_12.JPG

There are a few more here.

Back