• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Duck duck... but I didn't goose him :shock:

DSC_1201.jpg

don't see the barge very often... all aboard the john varley (not so express... I out walked him moments later)

if that water was six inch higher he would have got some serious waterway rash on his bald patch :rofl:

traditionally its a canal barge/boat. how big do you want on an ancient post industrial waterway. :D lol

canal was built in 1777

and a barge technically is a flat bottomed boat

I suffer no barge envy :D lol

perfectly content with the size of my barge... :rofl:

Last edited:
Salvaged no6

vtbg25.jpg

from the church on the thousand year old Tsaravets fortress of the Bulgarian tsars overlooking the river yantra.

view south east into the wilderness. fine vantage point. :)

Salvaged no7

32236416820704993173710.jpg

Natural limestone rock arch leading to Reynards cave. Dovedale, Derbyshire peak district, uk

Having had an explore beyond it I guess it was part of the cave eons ago. worth the detour to look at... almost on your hands and knees to scramble up to it. :)

Hokie had mentioned Magic Lantern in another thread. I've been using it for a couple of years now, but never explored Dual ISO, so I was playing with it a little bit last night. The short of it is, it alternates horizonatal lines with 2 different ISOs, your base ISO set on the camera, and a recovery (usually higher to fill in shadows) ISO set in ML. What you gain is a bit of dynamic range with lower noise than just boosting shadows in post, but at the cost of losing a bit of resolution and a little more moire. I've had pretty good results using combos of 100/1600 and 400/3200, but never tried it above that until now. I wasn't very agressive with it for this shot, since I was starting at a pretty high ISO anyway because I didn't have a tripod.

6D, EF16-35L @ 35mm, f/11, ISO3200/6400, 1/60sec.
DUAL0490.jpg

Teaser from this weekend at Virginia International Raceway!

60D, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 49mm focal, f/5.6, 1/15 sec, ISO-100
IMG_0239_Small.jpg
Flickr Link

Last edited:
Salvaged no9

vtbg17.jpg

Half way up the Tsaravets fortress hill side in Bulgaria.

I just like how this snap breaks all the rules yet draws you into its three distinct focal layers.
I found a seat so I parked up for a minute. A detached reflective moment... no visual agenda, no particular focus on anything... just being for a minute. :)

Another one back from my trip to Newfoundland, some rocks on the beach completely ice coated from sea spray.

T3, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, 55mm focal, f/10, 1/160 sec, ISO-100
IMG_3171_Small.jpg
Flickr Link

Last edited:
Salvaged no10

vtbg27.jpg

little Bulgarian lizards... skittish critters, must be good eating to birds etc.
there`s one every three meters in the wilderness. Territorial beasties.
I had one outside the front door... it got mighty tame after a hundred failed attempts to climb over the edging stones on the path.
one day I walked under the grape vines and glanced to my side in the topiary bush and it was stood in the top on its back legs with its front legs stretched apart sun bathing... didn't even bother to run off. neither did the poisonous snake that bathed on the path every morning... I let it live because it eats the mice that try to raid the kitchen. forgot to tell my friends... one nearly stood on it one morning :rofl: well you get six hours before you conk out from respiratory failure :D

Wagon wheel window.

I did a ton of shooting today, ending up in a tiny little place... this one... where my mother spent the first few years of her life. The house wasn't there anymore - father time knocked it down and all that remains are piles of wood. And the remains of two old wagons.

DSC_9032.jpg

DSC_1227.jpg

Bonus photo for the day... a rare sun dog. (the radial glow to the left of the sun)

rare atmospheric event... saw it on the way home then ran to the end of the street to get a snap... it dispersed 15-20minutes later. :)

nah, gone to seed that place... akin to the great British high street :D

I could match your shots with modern equivalents over here.

we could colonise that place... betting shop, pound shop, coffee house and that tiny leaning shed could be the library :D

Back