• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Was bored so I broke out the Nikkor 40mm. Had to hand hold as my Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB will not be here til later today. First one arrived broke.....

DSC_3161_zpsa8747543.jpg

First time out with the macro lens. This was taken 8/30/2014 when camping at Long Lake in Wisconsin. I have to say for this being my first, I think it looks pretty good.

DSC_2914_zps5ff7f6ec.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC_3779-PP.JPG
    DSC_3779-PP.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
*midwest/Great Plains topography

If you would have said it was South Dakota, I would have believed you.

Trying on the studio lights, Nikon MC-DC2 remote and Vanguard tripod. Still learning how to use the lights, so forgive the light dots on the background.

DSC_3172_zps6aeb7d99.jpg

Last edited:
Nice composition Wicked Klown. I love the jeans. It nice to see someone post portraiture as well.

Here is a couple. Though the lens was at max and I was in closed quarter and unable to zoom-in to create as much seperation as I would like.
a7 + FE 70-200 @ 70mm, f4, 1/100, ISO-200
15262518611_416f6dc383_b.jpg

a7 + FE 55mm @ f2.2, 1/60, ISO-100
15152550172_3bebb7164d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Only thing I don't like about the pic here is the color is off. When you click on it and go to photobucket and click the magnifying glass, it shows the true color.

I've noticed that too. I downloaded to have a close look at D7100 pixels and it's a different look totally.
Did you use the Sigma lens? Did you use spot focus? Did purposely focus on her knee and thigh?
If not, you should check and adjust back/front focus feature in the camera for that lens.

You should try Flickr instead.
I like Flickr for a couple reasons.
Free 1 TB storage
Full resolution upload
My families and relatives from far away can view them easily and download which ever size that they wish so I don't have to. And, or I can share images from Flickr on forums at various size as desired.
Viewing Flickr on tablet is the best. One can pinch and zoom to taste.

Last edited:
Was bored so I broke out the Nikkor 40mm. Had to hand hold as my Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB will not be here til later today. First one arrived broke.....

That's interesting. What was broken?

That's a great tripod for the money, and the one I use. I haven't done anything with the articulating arm, but otherwise it's a very solid, stable tripod. Having only 3 section legs makes a heck of a difference, coming from 5. On the downside it's long, and heavy, and not a lot of fun to carry on full day hikes. So worth it though.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question about flickr. If you click on the share icon for a photo in flickr, a window will pop open and you can select BBcode, then just copy and paste the link into a post here. Does that help?

Klown, well done with the studio lights, evenly lit and well exposed. As Sam mentioned I think you might have missed focus a bit though. If you're using the focus-then-recompose method that could be the culprit; make sure you plant a focus point right on her eyes. If that's not what happened, Sam's suggestion of microadjustment might be needed. Aside from that it's great.

Sam, those are gorgeous portraits, very well done! I don't do much in the way of portraiture, just family snapshots. I'd like to be good at it, I'm just not much of a people photographer.

Nice tree hokie! Can you share your post processing with us? Or did it come out of the camera like that.

Thanks! I use several Lightroom presets with many shots - auto level (I usually have to pull exposure back down from that, but it sets highlights/shadows/white/black levels well), sharpen-scenic and one more I forget what it's called. That gives me a good 'base' to start from and then I adjust the sliders to try and make it look like what I saw when taking the photo.

In this case I went beyond that, going for a more artistic look. I used the graduated fill and saturated the sky to make it at least a little more blue than it was that day (it was nasty flat gray) and to separate the clouds from each other a bit. Then I sharpened a bit extra because this was taken from a car going ~50mph and looked a hair soft. Lastly, I took the vignetting slider and went to town. IIRC it was something like -50, which is waaaay more than I ever use.

So really the photo itself wasn't that great and I would want to go actually stop and take time to shoot it at 0mph. However, I wanted to see what could be done with it playing around in lightroom. I might have another go at it for fun.

All of that said, I admittedly am not very good at post processing and need a heck of a lot more practice.

Last edited:
Nice tree! I have a tree photo somewhere that I took just outside of Kansas city that I need to revisit as well. I did stop and take the picture, but it was mid afternoon and the lighting really was horrid. I played around with it for a while, but just never came up with anything I liked. I tried to get back there in better light, and just didn't make it.

Pretty good rundown on your PP. You can save your own presets as well, in case you weren't aware. I have one that I made up that I use for a standard preset, and adjust from there. As I go through photos, I'm realizing a few things that it doesn't work well for, so I'll probably make up a couple more. Some of the standard presets are pretty good for a start point though.

It's nice to see some portraiture lately. I'm not a people person, and it's not something I do much of or have an interest in doing a lot of. Ironically, I spend a lot of time looking at other people's work though.

Nothing special happening around here weather wise lately, so I decided to work on some of my older shots. This one dates from August 5. Almost deleted it the day after I took it because it needed cropping, but it still turned out ok. Glad I didn't kill it.

DSC_9593.jpg

That's interesting. What was broken?
I'm not sure I completely understand your question about flickr. If you click on the share icon for a photo in flickr, a window will pop open and you can select BBcode, then just copy and paste the link into a post here. Does that help?

One on of the legs the piece of plastic that holds it in place was broke off. Thanks for the help with Flickr.

Klown, well done with the studio lights, evenly lit and well exposed. As Sam mentioned I think you might have missed focus a bit though. If you're using the focus-then-recompose method that could be the culprit; make sure you plant a focus point right on her eyes. If that's not what happened, Sam's suggestion of microadjustment might be needed. Aside from that it's great.

I believe the reason the focus was off a slight. She was moving to a different pose and this was a grab shot. Most the time I would wait, see the smile and hit the shutter. With this one something about the mid pose really grabbed me and I had to go for it. Remember guys and gals, sometimes it's about the moment not having everything perfect. I'm going to be redoing them this weekend and try something different with the lights.

Last edited:
Ok I just installed Show Focus Points lightroom plug in, as Dark_n_Beyond posted in the other thread. The focus point in the photo was right on the inside corner of her eye. Something is a little off.....

Back