• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used my 18-55mm kit lens for that barn shot, but for lightning I use an old Nikkor 28mm AI. I like that one because you can change the settings on it in the dark without even looking at the camera.

When I go full frame, my 50mm AI-S will take over that duty, because it will have roughly the same field of view - you don't want lightning too close, or you get rained on. Or zapped...

Otherwise the Nikon 18-200mm is usually mentioned for those not needing good low light capability on a crop sensor.

Last edited:
Or you could come to your senses and just buy a Canon. :screwy: ;)

Them's fightin' words! :p

I prefer to buy factory refurbs than straight used at these prices. I'll likely only do a D800e if they're the same price as the non-e version. I'd like to have that AA filter removed, but not enough to pay more for it considering the D810 offers both that and improved low light performance.

Originally was going to go for the Df, but it's discontinued now and even used models ain't cheap. I might as well go for the D810 if I'm thinking about them.

I'm a Nikon guy, but have Canon because they have much better astronomy app support. Other than that, Nikon always feels better and more intuitive in my hands. I bought my Canon used online at Adorama Camera store. They have decent prices and a good return policy.

Them's fightin' words! :p

I prefer to buy factory refurbs than straight used at these prices. I'll likely only do a D800e if they're the same price as the non-e version. I'd like to have that AA filter removed, but not enough to pay more for it considering the D810 offers both that and improved low light performance.

Originally was going to go for the Df, but it's discontinued now and even used models ain't cheap. I might as well go for the D810 if I'm thinking about them.

You really can't go wrong with an 810. One thing I will note though, from night shooting during the winter with a Nikon owner, the batteries tend not to last nearly as long as the Canon.
I can do two full 8 hr trips at -20 or lower with one battery and this guy was doing one or two battery changes per night. Very well could have been a poor/old battery though.
I'll admit, I've always wanted to try a high end Nikon, maybe with some Zeiss prime glass.

The latest photo from our recent trip to the mountains. This one is the view North toward Castle Mountain from Hwy 93, very close to the Alberta/British Columbia Border.
30802401461_049feb73ed_h.jpg Hwy 93 by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

You really can't go wrong with an 810. One thing I will note though, from night shooting during the winter with a Nikon owner, the batteries tend not to last nearly as long as the Canon.

That's when you buy more batteries. One of the first things I did for the D5100. And yet, it does pretty well on battery life.

D800 or D810... I'll get the most out of either one. After 80,000 shots with the D5100, I knows what I likes and how to gets it. But I expect I won't get the most out of either until I start upgrading lenses, even though the 50mm AI-S and 28mm AI are already excellent lenses.

One thing the new full frame camera will not be taking over - getting shots like these. Crop sensors are your friends in these circumstances.

My Tokina 70-210 at full zoom is rather soft, but it was either that or not get the shot at all. One day, I'll have a decent 200mm prime for this kind of work.

DSC_9715.jpg

Man, Ontario seems more boring with every shot I see of Alberta here :p

Nice shot! :thup:
I'd like to camp out there. I think it would be fun :)

So there I was, agonizing over the most miniscule differences in sensor specs for my upcoming new camera. Do I really want the D800 over a D750? You know, there's a D4 on eBay right there for about the same price, do I want that one instead?

But eventually, I came to a sudden realization. None of these cameras are all that different from each other in low light. Yeah, some do better than others, but the differences are small. They're all amazing in their own way. That's when it hit me - the bigger weak link is in my post processing, not the camera. Oh sure, my gear still needs to be upgraded. The D5100 still has 80k shots on it, and isn't that great in low light compared to full frame. But it's likely not as bad as I gave it credit for, I figured, so why don't I apply my current post processing skill set to an old shot and see what can be done?

Folks... ISO 1600, 28mm AI at f2.8, 20 seconds. This shot came out terrible the last time I tried to work with it, because I had no idea about luminosity masks and didn't even have Lightroom. This is a 10 minute job - I think I can still knock the noise down some more if I try.

Yeah, I'm going to lock in the D800 as the next camera. All I really need in the way of gear for better low light than I have right now is for that 28mm AI to be fully utilized, slightly less noise than the D5100 at ISO 1600, and controls easier to handle in the dark. Since landscapes are a major part of my work, that's the D800/D800e/D810 right there. Yeah, the D750 does a little better in low light, but do I really need that? Not to the point I should compromise on landscapes, I figure.

I'll try to order up the new shooter next week, then work on lenses. Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 and Nikkor AF-D 80-200 f2.8 first, then some more primes as I feel I need them.

DSC_0374-2.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful shot. Just goes to show it's the person, not the camera!

"I need a better camera / bigger sensor / better lens," is made up of a good 90% of excusing poor technique.

Now, "I want a better camera / bigger sensor / better lens," ....well, that's completely different! :p

I've done plenty of night trips with a guy who shoots a Nikon D800. Always did as well as our 5DmIII and 6D's.
PP can certainly remove some graininess (10-15% Luminance works fairly well), but I find that holds true only if the image you're starting out with isn't so grainy that removing it will obscure detail.
I can't even begin to tell you how much better night images are with my 6D as compared to my old 70D. Here's a comparison:

70D ISO 1000
17513580870_649757e673_h.jpg IMG_6484 by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

6D ISO 1600 (not the same scene, but noticeably less grain, more definition and vibrant colors)
23894153125_ff12b20a90_h.jpg IMG_5356 by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

And another from the 6D at ISO 3200
23526246359_fbb67bceac_h.jpg Brett Abernethy lining up a shot of the aurora at Mt. Yamnunska by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

And yet another from the 6D at ISO 6400 (grain starts to get noticable, but still good foreground clarity)
23868042486_df5ff8e092_h.jpg IMG_5528 by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

Last edited:
Gear is 10%, knowing how to get 100% out of the gear you have separates the wannabes from the pros.

Yep. I still have a long way to go before my skill level is where I'd like it to be, but I'm working on it. Made a lot of progress in just the last year already. If the D5100 weren't so far up there in shutter actuations, I was seriously thinking of just buying a new Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for it instead of doing the full frame thing now.

And on that note, I have officially joined the 36 megapickles club. Factory refurb D800 with under 1k actuations from Henry's is on the way. eBay listing was about to expire, so I jumped on it without waiting for Black Friday. Paid less than a new D750, even their advertised Black Friday price. Even if I start doing timelapses, that thing shouldn't wear out on me anytime soon. Never did find a D800e or D810 deal I liked.

As soon as it gets here, I'll put it right to work. Probably won't do any more shooting with the D5100 until then, but all bets are off if we get a sudden G3 solar storm.

Back