• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice fungus shot and a great demonstration of why a short lens can be so useful. It seems to isolate the subject from the background despite the increased DOF. Did you try any other aperture settings to see what they looked like?

No I didn't. That picture almost didn't happen. I saw it and actually walked right by it, thinking at that moment: it's cool, but I've got rain moving in, the wrong lens on, it was pretty dark, and I had less than 3 feet from where this was taken and a 100 foot drop. I decided though, that "wrong" lens or not, I had nothing to lose by setting the camera down and trying a click, then it was back to trying to work my way down to the bottom.

Now that's a cool looking Dragonfly!

Indeed it is!

Thanks to those who offered their opinions on my toad pic. while I agree that the eyes being in focus is a no-brainer, I still go back and forth as to whether it's the only thing that matters.

Moving on... I posted a pic a while back of my campsite at Lake of the Falls last weekend, but I neglected to post a pic of the falls itself. It's not really much of a falls, but it is pretty there. This was shot from the opposite side of the falls, my campsite was just off the right edge of this picture.

60D, EF 16-35L@35mm, ISO 100, f/11, 5sec
IMG_2686.jpg

Nice shot Dark! Do you use a shutter release when taking long exposures?

Typically no, unless I'm going to be using exposures over 30sec. I do use the self timer a lot though, even though my tripod is stable enough that I probably don't need it. I really don't see any difference between the pics where I did and didn't use it. I'd just rather not take the chance of ending up with a blurry photo when I put a lot of effort into getting somewhere, and might not ever get back there. Remember... almost everything looks good on a 3" screen....

EDIT: I suppose I should add, that I have one, and I used it religiously for quite a while. I find myself not using it much any more for a couple of reasons. I shoot a lot either standing in the water, or on a rock or log where I could easily slip and fall into it. Not using a shutter release means I have one less thing to keep track of and worry about.

Nice lens you have there, and great shot!

Last edited:
That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was necessary to eliminate the possibly of shaking the camera when you press the shutter button with your finger.

Went for a walk downtown today with my new wide-angle 10-18mm.

:salute:
Great shot, you captured the hill nicely! :thup:
Never been there though, is it true that the French don't get along with the English (people who speak English anyway)?

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was necessary to eliminate the possibly of shaking the camera when you press the shutter button with your finger.

That certainly was a concern with my old tripod, not so much with my new one. Using the self timer at 2 or 5 seconds or whatever accomplishes the same thing. The short delay allows you to get your hand off the camera and let it stabilize before the shutter does it's thing.

60D, EF-S 10-18@16mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/100sec
That's a beautiful shot, chock full of detail too. I've wanted one of those since they came out. How do you like it?

Great shot, you captured the hill nicely! :thup:
Never been there though, is it true that the French don't get along with the English (people who speak English anyway)?
That's a discussion for a whole other topicforum

That's a beautiful shot, chock full of detail too. I've wanted one of those since they came out. How do you like it?
Thanks. It's three exposures merged into one (HDR). I'll post the original shots as well as my opinion on the lens in the Big Photography thread when I get home from work.

Walking around, this pine tree (among hundreds around that looked just like it) drew my attention. The bark's texture just seemed very interesting for some reason. I thought it turned out ok in B&W.

70D, EF-S 18-135mm @ 135mm, f/8, 1/200 sec, ISO 4000

15111921495_5c26af6485_b.jpg Longleaf Pine Texture by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

60D, EF-S 10-18@16mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/100sec
15170674635_e0f1aeb83e_c.jpg
Parliament Hill by E.Kristiansen, on Flickr

Nice shot! And the HDR transform looks good too.

I'm a fan of wide angle lenses. Unfortunately they have a tendency to exaggerate perspective in the image. Have you tried post processing to reduce the angle that the outer lines slope in as they go up? (You could also reduce that by elevating yourself to the same level as the building.) I don't take it all away or the result looks unnatural, but some reduction might improve the picture. (If you were striving for that look, then disregard my comments. ;) )

My son would be drooling all over those Camaro's Atmin, nice shot.

You should visit NC during one of the meets then! It's a (very active) local 5th Gen Camaro club.

Since it's technically tomorrow now...

T3, EF-S 18-55 (24mm focal), f/9, 1/40s, ISO-100
ZL1_Small.jpg

Back