• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The last of my lake outing photos are the best. This is a wild red-tailed hawk that was just chillin' on a branch about a foot higher than I am tall, and hanging over the path around the lake. There were seven of us just sauntering along when I caught a giant bird out of the corner of my eye, put my arms out and told everyone to STOP in the loudest whisper I could, about ten feet from this beauty. The hawk and we just stood there and stared at each other for what seemed like several minutes. It was really surreal. Then it just flew off into the woods. Sadly I wasn't ready and didn't catch it spreading its wings.

This is when you realize that 400 mm (250 mm on a 1.6x crop) just isn't as long as it seems like it should be. I could zoom a little further in than the first photo, but just enough to basically cut its legs off.

26858601216_026f107a9c_b.jpg Red Tailed Hawk by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

....and darn near 100% crop. The image quality of this inexpensive 55-250 STM is very impressive, especially considering the price.

26858601116_89f760994e_b.jpg Red Tailed Hawk Portrait by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

EDIT - Point of clarification - this is a red SHOULDERED hawk, not red tailed hawk. A kind user on Flickr pointed out my error.

Last edited:
This one is of a spectacular spot in the front range, just west of Hwy 22 (Cowbow Trail) in Alberta, Canada. Click on the pic for more details.
26276636644_df55b7aa05_b.jpg

Using an ND on this shot?
Looks awesome btw.

Yep, it's in the description on the Flickr page: Additional equipment: LEE 0.9 Soft Grad ND.
Just wanted to get a bit more out of the sky. The rest(below the horizon) is shot through the UV filter, without a CPL.
Thanks!

Yep, it's in the description on the Flickr page: Additional equipment: LEE 0.9 Soft Grad ND.
Just wanted to get a bit more out of the sky. The rest(below the horizon) is shot through the UV filter, without a CPL.
Thanks!

Neat, I've only dabbled slightly in ND filters during my camera gear research. Never used one either.

Neat, I've only dabbled slightly in ND filters during my camera gear research. Never used one either.
The effect of a Graduated Filter can be replicated quite well in Post Processing software(I use Lightroom); you get the ability to give gradient to things like exposure, contrast and color intensity. Of course, as you may already know, this does not hold true for the effects of a Circular Polarizer or Full on ND. Not completely anyway. The result can sometimes be quite good, but I like to get the effect at the time of shooting, so I got this LEE system which allows for easy stacking of filters. Works pretty well, but they can be a B*tch to keep clean!

Here's one that was taken with both a CPL and a very dark ND. You can always knock down the exposure or bump the colors in Post Processing, but of course you won't be able to do things like get the silky water motion or remove the reflections from water or leaves, etc.
26930538736_b4419b66ec_b.jpg

Very nice, great example there!
Will look into the ND filters more as I get the chance.

After the rain. Missed every last moment of the lightning in this one because I was watching Deadpool.

DSC_9345.jpg

Last night in Saskatchewan. Lightning bugs with lightning bolts. I couldn't believe how many of those little bugs were out there - used to be I'd have to go visiting family in Kansas to see them.

DSC_0359.jpg

I love the detail of the clouds and storm to the right of the building. Its almost like two different worlds on each side.

Earlier yesterday, I managed to get up close and personal with this tornadic supercell. This is the business end of it, taken right down the road from my last shot at about 7:30pm. I saw no twisters, but there was rotation in there and a lot of hail roar.

DSC_9819.jpg

Wow Wolf! Amazing shot! Love seeing those rotating wall clouds, far away and away from lives and property of course.

Tease us with some video of it next time. I'm sure the youtubers and armchair basement storm chasers like myself would love to see something like this. Just be careful in the process, of course. :salute:

Back