• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems someone's learning how to use luminosity masks.

This is HDR done manually... two exposures from one RAW file. Lots of luminosity mask tweaking to the foreground. I thought this shot was beyond help, because I had no tripod with me that day to bracket properly.

DSC_5114.jpg

Very nice HDR; not over cooked like many HDR shots I see floating around the interwebs. :)

Ok, my last two from our downtown excursion. The first is a flowering bush, the name of which I do not know, but it was pretty.

22623478213_c311973ac3_c.jpg Flowering Fall Bush by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

Last is one of the giant oak trees on the grounds of the old capital. The trees there are super old and, by extension, huge. This is my favorite from the day. :)

23250582065_771f777723_c.jpg City of Oaks by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

Very nice HDR; not over cooked like many HDR shots I see floating around the interwebs. :)

Thanks - yeah, it's way too easy to overbake an HDR using some of the programs out there like Luminance HDR. Those programs do have their place, but most of the time I'm completely unhappy with the results that come out of them. Most of the time I want it to look like how I saw it, not like some cartoon ;)

HDR done right is fantastic... I'm glad I found a better way to do it. Actually takes less time than Luminance HDR, too.

Last night. I had just stopped here, noticed a no trespassing sign, and was turning to leave. Suddenly, a pickup comes tearing into the driveway from the road... turned out to be the parents of the farm's owner. After determining they were friendly, I asked for permission to shoot. They said yes :D

DSC_4231.jpg

Pretty sure I've shared a shot of this Fury with lightning before. This time, I found the broken glass more mesmerizing.

DSC_4189.jpg

New Camera - First Shoot

Wanted to get back into photography and went and got a Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 and bought a 17-55mm 1:2.8 off a friend...

First pictures I shot yesterday and edited today; was excited on the buy and wanted to share.
All shot with the 18-55mm

18mm F/3.5 1/640 ISO 100
DSC_0015.jpg

18mm F/3.5 1/50 ISO 100
DSC_0068.jpg

18mm F/3.5 1/10 ISO 100
DSC_0081.jpg

18mm F/3.5 1/10 ISO 100
DSC_0099.jpg

*Purpose of shoot was to play around in higher aperture in AP :)

Welcome to OCF, mergeritta; congrats on the new camera! Looks like you're off to a great (re)start. :D

Thanks guys! I might be annoying and post one or two (three!) more...

I feel a bit weird about them because I feel I edited them a fair bit, but I just wanted to a get a feel for the features of lightroom having never touched around photos before. I haven't taken a picture in 6 years now? So I'm happy with the results considering.

Super drawn to this stump. Taking human anatomy and physiology and totally reminded me of some of the microscope work we've done.
DSC_0031.jpg

This I can't decide if I want in black and white or not. Actually thinking splitting is right down the middle in photoshop (if this is possible? Never used it before) and have right be b&w and left stay colour.
DSC_0049.jpg

Proud this awkward shot turned out. Leaning over the railing of the bridge with no strap on my camera yet... Ballsy with the brand new camera... Just straightened upright after.
DSC_0055.jpg

Love where I live, hope you guys are good to be spammed with lots on nature shots... Maybe some dirt bikes too? Braaaap!

Edit, totally screwed up photo insert...

This I can't decide if I want in black and white or not. Actually thinking splitting is right down the middle in photoshop (if this is possible? Never used it before) and have right be b&w and left stay colour.

You absolutely can do this! Create a layer that covers half the photo, then apply the B&W filter in that layer :)

Love the stump photo btw :thup:

Another one from last night. Looks like they might be planning to demolish my favorite abandoned house, so I wore out the camera on it a bit yesterday.

DSC_4759.jpg

Wow Wolf, those are really awesome, I hope I work my way up to doing those kinda of photos too!

I'm hoping someone has tips for brightening a darker picture such as these... I really like them, and would love to edit them to make the pop a little bit.

These are just straight from my camera before doing anything in LR5

DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg

^^^ A good subject to get to understand exposure values and f-number :)

My partner insisted we went all christmass last night... then she wanted a picture or three for memory lane :-/

so knowing it was going to be useless on auto with my phone I switched to manual to mess with the values.

_20151207_104419.JPG

Auto - not great :-/

_20151207_104102.JPG

Manual - ooh, shiny :santa:

Exposure --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

f-number --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

then I went back to chocolate and mindless TV viewing...

The End :salute:

Last night...

DSC_5124.jpg

I'm hoping someone has tips for brightening a darker picture such as these... I really like them, and would love to edit them to make the pop a little bit.

If you're using the camera in any of the auto modes, the exposure compensation setting can help with that. Most of my lenses are manual, so I'm in full manual mode pretty much all the time with the display set to show me RGB histograms (you have to enable it specifically in the D5100's menus before it shows you those), so I use those to set my exposures and check for clipping highlights and shadows. The camera's light meter is useless with my manual lenses.

Back