• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never did share this one, did I? Used the kit lens at 18mm for this one.

The ghost is a buddy of mine who came out with me that night.

DSC_9498.jpg

Yep. I still have a long way to go before my skill level is where I'd like it to be, but I'm working on it. Made a lot of progress in just the last year already. If the D5100 weren't so far up there in shutter actuations, I was seriously thinking of just buying a new Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for it instead of doing the full frame thing now.

And on that note, I have officially joined the 36 megapickles club. Factory refurb D800 with under 1k actuations from Henry's is on the way. eBay listing was about to expire, so I jumped on it without waiting for Black Friday. Paid less than a new D750, even their advertised Black Friday price. Even if I start doing timelapses, that thing shouldn't wear out on me anytime soon. Never did find a D800e or D810 deal I liked.

As soon as it gets here, I'll put it right to work. Probably won't do any more shooting with the D5100 until then, but all bets are off if we get a sudden G3 solar storm.
You get more out of your gear than most. I just take a bazillion shots and hope I get a few good ones. I've been too lazy lately. I just need to go out with my camera and start taking shots of anything interesting I find.

Given that I feel like a kid at Christmas, I wanted something appropriate for the D800's first shot.

50mm AI-S at f2.8, ISO 1600. Could have optimized this shot better, but it was a quick test to see if it worked. Anyway, I bought the right camera. Image #990 according to the EXIF, so they sent the one I paid for.

DSC_0897.jpg

Last edited:
So what really happens once the camera hits the shutter's max counts? Just eventually stops working?

Sometimes shutters go out sooner, most times they last longer. I couldn't take the chance with the D5100, because I need it for review images, so I thought better to replace now than wait for it to get to 100k.

I expect the D800 will actually get less use - I've learned how to get the shots I want the first time, and I'm not machine gunning hundreds of shots at a time looking for daytime lightning anymore.

Admiral, SK. First sunset with the D800 and 28mm AI. It blows my mind how much detail I am able to recover with this camera. This shot was underexposed.

I had fog and clouds to the east, fog and clouds to the west, but almost perfectly clear in town.

DSC_1111.jpg

Admiral, SK. First sunset with the D800 and 28mm AI. It blows my mind how much detail I am able to recover with this camera. This shot was underexposed.

I had fog and clouds to the east, fog and clouds to the west, but almost perfectly clear in town.

Smack dab on the border of Zone 5 and Zone 2; done a lot of mule deer hunting down there. Nice one Jeremy! Glad you're enjoying your new toy ;)

Some more D800 goodness. I've gotten more hoarfrost shot in the last week than the last two years combined.

DSC_0922.jpg

One of my faves from a trip taken in October of last year, up to the tip of a glacier between Radium Hot Springs and Panorama Village.
I used one of my favorite lenses of all time; the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art series, and this shot shows the very striking effects that can be achieved with such a shallow DOF, but with significant distance from Camera to Subject and Subject to Background.
27298597095_5b59c28996_h.jpg A drive through Larch Valley - Redux by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

One of my faves from a trip taken in October of last year, up to the tip of a glacier between Radium Hot Springs and Panorama Village.
I used one of my favorite lenses of all time; the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art series, and this shot shows the very striking effects that can be achieved with such a shallow DOF, but with significant distance from Camera to Subject and Subject to Background.
27298597095_5b59c28996_h.jpg A drive through Larch Valley - Redux by Pat n Kat, on Flickr

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
love the yota

T'was a mighty cold blue hour this morning before sunrise. -22 degrees. Yeah, cold weather does hit the D800's battery fairly hard - going to need a backup battery for sure.

DSC_1239.jpg

Back