• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are CPU Prices just not dropping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I purchased the AMD Phenom x2 B55 Black for 69.99 5 years ago, and looking at current processors for an upgrade. Im not really seeing it. Closest I can see is a AMD FX410 and not even really an upgrade. Slightly quicker and still 50 dollars more then a 5 year old processor.

Intel is even worse.

So have CPUs just stopped dropping in price over time or gaining any kind of value?

They have increased a little and I think if you have a sandy bridge, ivy bridge or Haswell they are ok.:)

They bloody well should have dropped by now IMHO.

Greed , plain and simple.

More irritating is RAM prices.

yeah, looking at the new line of AMDs..and seeing I would need to upgrade to DDR3... :/, much higher then DDr2

They bloody well should have dropped by now IMHO.

Greed , plain and simple.

More irritating is RAM prices.

What prices should have dropped? There is such a thing as inflation and the processors have been about the same price for the past few generations of Intel processors at least.

inflation is around 8% from 2008. If an item was 69.95 5 years ago it would be 75.75$ today (Barring taxes and shipping etc)

You want to know WHY costs haven't gone down? My 2 cents anyway

1) consumer craze on "next gen games". The rate of game development is absolutely staggering. The jump from 2008 to today is absolutely unreal.. People are looking to play these games, so are willing to fork out the dough. I blame call of duty and battle field series almost exclusively for this.

2) crypto currency miners... spending fortunes to get their systems mining and mining, keeping prices stagnant instead of a natural decline.

Its not greed if companies are charging what people will pay, its purely economics.

Then the price of games should have risen? Correct? Yet they are still $60

From what I have seen on Intel chips and most Amd chips the price at release is the same. If you really think about it each generation only gains about 5-10% in performance and the cost is down 5-8% on the last generation chips. I think prices on cpu are one of the only things that haven't really changed unlike ram, gpu's (notably AMD right now) and SDD/HDD'S. I don't know if right now is a good time to upgrade or if waiting a few months will be worth it if ddr3 prices drop a bit.

I was going to say... things seem to be about the same to me while performance is increasing. Part of the reason for ram being higher is the Hynix plant that caugth fire a bit ago so production is (still) down.

The Crypto thing killed AMD GPUs, that is it though. Little effect on other things if any.

I was going to say... things seem to be about the same to me while performance is increasing.

This ^ If you are worried about purchase price you should keep an eye on retailer price reductions such as from MicroCenter where a $330 i7 can be had for $200 - $220. Even more so just look at used procs from reputable people on the forums for a future build.

I was going to say... things seem to be about the same to me while performance is increasing. Part of the reason for ram being higher is the Hynix plant that caugth fire a bit ago so production is (still) down.

The Crypto thing killed AMD GPUs, that is it though. Little effect on other things if any.

thats exactly the problem! Why is a "lower end" (said relatively speaking) intel cost almost as much as a higher end intel? shouldn't the price gap match the difference in quality and performance?

case in point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

why is the newest generation the SAME cost as the older generation?

thats exactly the problem! Why is a "lower end" (said relatively speaking) intel cost almost as much as a higher end intel? shouldn't the price gap match the difference in quality and performance?

case in point:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

why is the newest generation the SAME cost as the older generation?

They are not the same cost anymore than they are the same performance.
3% difference in cost and 5% difference in performance.
Don't forget 1155 was a very popular socket, I'd bet there are more 1155 socket boards in play than 1150s right now, cheaper too
Then it becomes a simple game of supply and demand.

OP, the problem with your comparison is you are comparing a dual core processor that could be unclocked to a quad. (crazy performance/dollar there)
What was the price of a like clocked quad then?

Also, no one would buy a fx41xx cpu for $100, when you can get a 6300 for $120.
If you want to go cheap with AMD quads, FM2 is the socket you should be looking at. Motherboards are cheaper too.

So in summary, your comparison is off based on comparing a best case scenario of an older generation to a worst case scenario of the current gen.

Last edited:
Back