• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z97 Chipset and SATA Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
So I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this as I have been hearing some very sad news on the Z97 chipset.

From what I have been seeing is, we will not be getting SATA Express
No USB 3.1 or PCIe 4.0.
I was not expecting DDR4, but was really looking forward to SATA Express.

So what are we expected to end up getting out of all of this?

Reason I ask is my 1366 is starting to give me the itch to upgrade (never gone so long). Now with Z97/Broadwell being delayed and few if anything special being added to the chipset, thinking now might be the time.

Anyone have any insight for me?

So I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this as I have been hearing some very sad news on the Z97 chipset.

From what I have been seeing is, we will not be getting SATA Express
No USB 3.1 or PCIe 4.0.
I was not expecting DDR4, but was really looking forward to SATA Express.

So what are we expected to end up getting out of all of this?

Reason I ask is my 1366 is starting to give me the itch to upgrade (never gone so long). Now with Z97/Broadwell being delayed and few if anything special being added to the chipset, thinking now might be the time.

Anyone have any insight for me?

Hmm, I am sure we will be there soon enough but would be nice to see usb 3.1, but would be same difference as the thunderbolt ports (in speed) as some manufactures are doing.

USB 3 alone is almost as fast as sata express (I believe) and will simply rise prices for a feature most will not use.

And why put pciex4? I belive the SSD pci cards are only thing "common" to use that, and that is a maybe. You can just use a pciex16 and put your x4 cards into that. And it will make the bored alltogether a hotter item for others.

I might have completely missed your questions, but do not see the point to add these almost useless features as there are other ways around it :D

Hmm, I am sure we will be there soon enough but would be nice to see usb 3.1, but would be same difference as the thunderbolt ports (in speed) as some manufactures are doing.

USB 3 alone is almost as fast as sata express (I believe) and will simply rise prices for a feature most will not use.

And why put pciex4? I belive the SSD pci cards are only thing "common" to use that, and that is a maybe. You can just use a pciex16 and put your x4 cards into that. And it will make the bored alltogether a hotter item for others.

I might have completely missed your questions, but do not see the point to add these almost useless features as there are other ways around it :D

Not PCIe x4, PCIe 4.0. He's speaking of the new iteration of PCIe.

OP, we don't saturate PCIe 3.0, nor are we close to it, so why change?

If you are ready... upgrade. The things you are worried about are non issues for most. Are they for you considering (what ATM mentioned) that PCIe3 is we are not close to saturating anyway? USB3 is banging fast already, and of course there is little point in DDR4 outside of lower voltages.

I saw thunderbolt mentioned and got a little snicker... there are barely any TB products out. And most that are out, are quite expensive. TB needs to die already as adaptation has been BRUTALLY slow with few items out and those that are being expensive.

Was really hoping to see SATA Express, as SATA is from what I can see the biggest bottle neck in the system right now. Everything else was a bonus. As for TB I didnt even mention that. Its like firewire, if your system has, great, if not, 99.99% of the time you wouldnt even know.

Just would like to state I have no problem changing a CPU. I used to change them like I change my underwear, But I go kicking and screaming everytime I need a new motherboard. Sadly they way intel is doing things, you seem to need a new board every other year.

Reason I am so far behind right now is work hasn't had me at home for about 2 years, so the desktop was put on hold. Now that I have a chance to get back into it, i was hoping to jump into somethign bigger. Seems like a small upgrad, but I guess we always have controller cards.

USB3.0 and SATAIII are capable of up to 500MB/s and 600MB/s, respectively. So, definitely enough for HDDs and current SSDs, and not what I would call a severe bottleneck. I love my USB3.0 external HDD, it gets the same speed as if it was connected internally to SATA (~110-120MB/s). PCI-E 3.0 isn't being close to saturated yet, and PCI-E 2.0 is still plenty for probably 99% or more of people.

MicroCenter has a great deal on the 4770K going for $199 if you happen to live near one. So, throw in a motherboard and you could get a platform upgrade for around $350, which would be hard to beat.

Lets just say I already ordered a new waterblock.

Next step on the list is pick a Mobo.
And FYI i am in Canada, so no Micro-center for me. But that sure is a good deal on the CPU

Back