• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft's New Tactic: Lying about how many Xbox One's Are Sold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://n4g.com/news/1400637/xbox-on...-in-the-heart-of-new-york-including-day-1-eds

So Microsoft claimed to have sold 1 million Xbox Ones, worldwide, in 24 hours...

...a claim I found rather odd since there were still tons of Day One systems and regular systems at every store I saw here in Berlin. Apparently it's the same in New York City... and Chicago... and pretty much everywhere else.

Now they claim "most retailers" are sold out...

Except for Toys R Us... Gamestop... Best Buy... Target... and Walmart in the States... and EVERY retailer in Berlin.

Back during the early Wii days Nintendo pulled a fake "Controller Shortage."

Apparently what they did was send every controller on the planet to the Virgin Megastore in Paris. (I made a thread about this at the time and posted photos of controllers piled to the ceiling upstairs and downstairs at that store.)

But I've never heard of a company just flat out LYING about how well they're doing... I can't wait to see sales numbers from independent tracking groups.

Companies do it all the time, m$ needed to in order to compete with the legitimate 1m sold by Sony.

Difference is probably sold to retail not sold to user.

Where I live, Xbox One sold out on the first day in nearly every store, my brother tried to buy one like 2 days after release and couldn't find one anywhere.

as in MS sold to retailers maybe.. now actual units sold off the shelves..

or did MS actually ship enough to cover demand, being the holidays.

as in MS sold to retailers maybe.. now actual units sold off the shelves..

or did MS actually ship enough to cover demand, being the holidays.

Actually the Xbox division is in a state of panic and chaos.

(I could link to the Forbes articles and all that... but i just don't care.)

They announced 1 million "units" just because sony sold a million PS4s. Now Sony announced 2.1 million sold worldwide, and all Xbox could counter with was something about 50 million Xbox Live subscriptions. (They don't mention... of course... that this is counting the One, the 360, probably the original xbox, and maybe Games for Windows as well... )

Xbox division is a billion dollars in the hole right now... with not a chance of ever seeing the light of day. (The aforementioned xbox live... when you think about it... $50 a year actually isn't a lot of money at all. Not considering how many games the average gamer buys in a year and the fact that those games are $60 a year. They can't be making much at all... especially not considering those "50 million subscribers" were how many they had... simultaneously... at that moment of the announcement... and that figure included the people that just had free 30 day passes... namely everyone who recently bought any xbox of any kind.)

I don't know what the way out for them is... Smoke and Mirrors probably aren't it though.

Nintendo's got to be doing the worst out of the three. Only like 4 or 5 million Wii Us sold so far. 3DS selling poorly.

I think Microsoft will be fine. a billion dollars in the hole isn't a massive problem for them. They make so much money off of Windows licenses, after all.

Nintendo's got to be doing the worst out of the three. Only like 4 or 5 million Wii Us sold so far. 3DS selling poorly.

I think Microsoft will be fine. a billion dollars in the hole isn't a massive problem for them. They make so much money off of Windows licenses, after all.

Thing is... Nintendo made SO much money off of the Wii... that they could afford to sit out this whole console generation. The gamecube did ok. The DSlite did phenomenally well... and they basically owned a monopoly on portable gaming for about 20 years.

So unlike Sega (who had three or four failed systems in a row after the Genesis) Nintendo could completely sit out this console generation... (and 5 million sold isn't really a failure) and be fine.

The problem for Microsoft is that they like to show their stockholders and their board that all their divisions are making a profit. And it's hard to explain how one of their divisions is always in the negative...

You have to remember Xbox is nothing but a microsoft side project. They could really care less about it. There's been a lot of talk recently about them selling off the division (although I have a hard time imagining who would want to buy it... besides maybe Sega... who isn't quite as dead as you may think.)

have any official numbers been announced for xbox? (I havent been checking) I think it was pretty much certain it was never going to match the ps4 numbers at launch.

Just curious, as you are portraying xbox as a brand as dead out of the gate this generation.

None of the blockbuster titles have been announced for either system yet and as a device the xbox seemed to be regarded better than the ps4. I personally ertainly see more a future for it

It would be interesting to see xbox 360 vs ps3 vs xbox one vs ps4 1st month sales figures. I can imagine the xbox one being higher than last generation but loosing out significantly to ps4.

Microsoft care quite abit about the extra divisions as PC sales are falling and they are starting to have to fight on multiple fronts, after the 900 million surface rt loss they could probably do with a win.

Also you can almost guarentee so long as Titanfall meets expectations the xbox one will regain any ground it has lost.

The one thing that m$ has going for it when it comes to the Xbox One is its HDMI passthrough and how m$ has a monopoly on IPTV provisioning. All the major players use it, we do, Century Link does, Verizon does and Comcast is trying to. The reason this is important is because their API can seemlessly integrate into these platforms.

You can use an Xbox 360 as a set-top-box replacement for uverse and I expect the One will get similar support. As a result you can then use it as a wireless DVR/STB for any IPTV provider that uses a Microsoft A/D server setup like we do. I like the playstation I do, but the HDMI passthrough plus the IPTV platform microsoft has a monopoly on makes it very very compelling. That is of course if they can actually do a good job of integrating it which remains to be seen.

When I get word that we are going to add support to the Xbox One I plan on getting one and replacing the onboard drive with a 3TB or as large as I can get it and it will become our primary DVR

Not surprised, if nobody mentioned it already they lied about number of W8 liscences sold too, they said like 90,000,000 or something and that's not the ACTIVATED lisences, Windows 7 is still growing faster than 8... lmfao.

In the midst of all this number citing, what gets lost is that mostly not one single database probably has matching figures on any of these toy factories: manufacturing shipments vs. wholesale shipments vs. retail transactions vs. registrations, etc. Then factor in returns for replacement vs. returns for credit.

Then there are also other definitions, categories, sub-categories, model numbers, and accoutrement sorting. A CPA would have a field day on this...

Samsung does something similar with their cell phones, they're trying so hard to be an iPhone copycat and putting Google/Android in the danger zone.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_...e_in_the_us_during_november_says_analyst.html

Numbers from independent analysts.

Wii U did a SAD 150,000 last month... which is outright pathetic.

@Fiery_chasm : I'm not portraying the Xbox One as "dead out of the gate" I'm portraying Microsoft's Xbox *division* as dangerously in the red. And... as Microsoft isn't really a gaming company... there's been talk of them selling it off just to make their bottom-line look a little better. (No use of having an entire LINE of hardware sales failures including surface of course...)

I'm sure the Xbox One will do fine... but it might be Microsoft's last console and there's the possibility that they might sell it mid-stream to some company that actually specializes in video game hardware. Or to a gaming company.

Hell... they might even sell it to Samsung. :p

Eh the first 2-3 years with any new console is always in the hole at the very least. Why? Because they are loosing money with every console sold at first til they can drop the price enough to grab attention but as well, do revisions to the console to cut massive amounts of cost.

ah ok rainless, ye I agree with some of that.

there were rumours, but wasnt the surrounding the ex nokia boss taking the new chief position. I thought they had been debunked. (It would be viewed as a massive public failiure if they sell xbox now I think).

Also at the moment the xbox division is in the red, but the 360 probably made m$ a fortune. so long as the one doesnt bomb, no reason to think it wont be the same.

I agree it might be m$s last console too though, but then again the console as we know it will be a dieing breed.

Eh the first 2-3 years with any new console is always in the hole at the very least. Why? Because they are loosing money with every console sold at first til they can drop the price enough to grab attention but as well, do revisions to the console to cut massive amounts of cost.

I actually saw an article that the price for the parts for each system is less than their asking price although very close to it.

Isnt this the same thing that people said about the Playstation 3?

Oh no. People said that: "Sony's going to go out of business."

I said they were being idiots.

I'm not saying Microsoft is going out of business.

They sure aren't selling that is for sure. Finally figuring out what stores sell the devices and at what times.

With that said, 4 Xbox Ones are still sitting in my store locally going on day 3. Yet all the PS4's that have come into stores the day they come in are sold out within 2 hours.

Back