• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove The AK31 Northgate Heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure thing Silver,

The NB fan is attached with 2 plastic pins, and thermal tape.

1st, you need to pinch, and push the pins out from the backside of the mobo.

2nd, just give the HS a little twist, and the thermal tape will release.

I strongly reccomend that you are very carefull with the application of thermal paste on the new HS, as the legs of the NorthBridge are very close together, and even the slightest amount of excess conductive paste (Arctic Silver) can mess up the function of the mobo.

Good luck!

:)

Doc

Thanks Doc, love hearing from ya. Since removing the ram sinks on the gf2 pro and seeing what a poor covering I had due to fear of touching a leg, I now tape and then apply the as and this gives me MUCH better coverage and a less risk. I wondered about the heat sink as I did push the pins through but the heatsink was not going to move so I gave up on it until I got more info. A little heat from a hair drier, a credit card and off it comes. Thank you. Hey, there is a new guy in the forums who asked about the ak31 and the ak35 then bought the ak31 refurb from newegg. The guys are now telling him he should have gotten the ak35. Might drop him a note, I did.

Feel for him a little as he probably does not have much cash but has made a good decision. He probably is beating himself up now.

Back