• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-To: Certification for CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Doing this myself currently, so this is my personal experience I just wanted to share some tips, do's, and don'ts for anyone interested. If you have questions or additional comments, feel free to share, and I'll try to address anything you bring up.

You may want to skip some sections, I've put titles in bold so you can jump to what topic might interest you.

On Certifications and the IT industry

A lot of professionals you'll find in IT don't put stock in certifications. Some people give them a bad name by not being very good technically, but being able to cram and pass an exam, thereby reflecting poorly on their certifications. However some places are the opposite - especially managed services companies, outsourced IT companies, and other places which sell their IT solutions/services to other companies. These places love certifications, often requiring them of their employees, requiring them to get more, and hiring based off of certifications someone already has.

There are 2 reasons for a managed service company to be big on certifications: It is a selling point, and it saves them a ton of cost. They use the certifications as a selling point to win contracts and obtain new clients, by reflecting they are qualified for the work with highly skilled staff. It saves them a ton of cost because in order to maintain certain vendor partnership levels, they must maintain a certain level of certification for their employees, which enables them to obtain product/service at a deeply discounted rate. These are reasons why certifications are important to them.

Should certifications be important to you? Depends. If your boss likes the idea, yes. If you have great work experience they may not be necessary to continue advancing, but doing a cert can fill knowledge gaps in areas you may work in but with items you don't normally configure/test/manage on a daily basis. If you want to ensure your resume looks good, certs are also a good idea. If you are unemployed or if you haven't worked in the field recently, obtaining a certification demonstrates that you are updating skills and you are relevant.

I'm doing it for the following reasons:
- Make my resume stronger
- I'm unemployed, but not sitting idle
- It's been a few years since I've been in IT, so I want to reflect that I'm staying current and I am apt at applying the skills I've learned to new areas
- I like to learn on my own, so self study for certification is enjoyable
- I want to make more money
- CCNA is one of the most respected pursuits by technical people - it is hard to "brain dump" and pass a CCNA, you pretty much have to be legit to get the certification. This is in contrast to various Microsoft and other certifications which generally don't draw as much respect from peers.

What is CCENT?

If you want any Cisco certification, everyone basically starts out with CCENT. It is the first half of the CCNA, which is the pre-requisite to all of Cisco's other advanced certifications.

How do I get CCENT?

You can get your CCNA in one test (200-120), which covers all material in ICND1 and ICND2 (Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices). However it costs the same as the 2 test route, which has one test for ICND1 (100-101) and another for ICND2 (200-101).

In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to do the one test route, unless you are highly experienced and highly confident you will pass. There's no economic benefit to the one test route, and there is twice as much material you need to consume and retain for the test.

Additionally, by going the 2 test route, you can more quickly get your first certification - study for and pass the ICND1 100-101 test, and you get your CCENT.

What to use to study for CCENT?

This is my route and recommendation, as I feel it has worked well in preparing me.

Materials:
CBT Nuggets Videos: Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101
Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide - Published May 2013 (Ensure it is the 2013 version, which is updated to reflect the modern updates in Cisco's test topics)
GNS3
Cisco IOS
Transcender Practice Exam 100-101

Videos: The CBT Nuggets videos are great. They will ease you into the topic, and give you a great overview of what you need to know and how to apply it. It's like an instructor led course. The best benefit is being able to see things applied and demonstrated through the CLI, which helped me in internalizing and understanding how the topics are applied. It helped me pull everything together and feel confident about the breadth of material. 23 hours of video is a lot so you will need to try to schedule time and stick to it.

Cert Guide: This is what will get you the depth you need to pass the test, and ensure you retain the material. The book is over 1000 pages, which is intimidating, but it has 30 chapters which cover topics that are mostly only 25 pages each - when broken into chapters, it is very manageable. It includes questions at the start of each chapter which let you test yourself to see if you know that section already, so you can skim/skip it. It also includes summaries of key topics, which help in reviewing and ensuring you retained what you just read... At the end, these will also help to ensure you remembered what you need to and are ready for the exam.

GNS3: This lets you create virtual routers and networks, running on a real Cisco IOS. It is identical to running actual Cisco hardware, without buying Cisco hardware... You can get cheap switches for $50 or so off ebay, that are a bit dated but are completely sufficient to practice your skills on. I opted to go the virtual route, because it meant I didn't have to screw with hardware or make room for it anywhere in my house. So GNS3 will let you learn to configure and troubleshoot as though you were working with a real network, by running the real Cisco IOS. There are paid network simulation products similar to GNS3, some of them even provide practice lab situations and topologies, however they are often more limited, and they cost money - GNS3 can do everything but it takes work, and you are trying to learn anyway so work is good.

Cisco IOS: In order for GNS3 to be of any use, you need a Cisco IOS (the operating system that runs on Cisco hardware). Unfortunately, there is no official way to get a Cisco IOS and run it in GNS3. Anyway you obtain a Cisco IOS, you are violating the TOS/EULA from Cisco. You can search and obtain the IOS online, which is what everyone does who uses GNS3, including many, many networking professionals and those preparing for the test. Everywhere you read they tell you to just search, because they can't provide an IOS. I haven't read of anyone getting in trouble for using GNS3 or an IOS in this way, and I don't believe its Cisco's intent to discourage lab use and learning - their EULA is likely written as is to protect their interests and production environment piracy. While they don't say they okay it, I think by their inaction, they demonstrate they support fair use in a lab environment for the purpose of testing and learning their products.

How to study for CCENT?

Videos: I started with the videos, as it was less intimidating than the book and showed me the lay of the land. It also increased my confidence as after watching the video I felt like I grasped the concepts.

GNS3: I then setup GNS3 with a basic network topology and configured some routers to talk to each other. I then connected that virtual topology to my home network, so my real home machines could talk to the virtual routers over the network. I am working on actually configuring, re-configuring, and troubleshooting as I work through the book currently. You'll want GNS3 at the ready so you can actually gain experience with configuration - by doing, you will have a better chance at understanding and remembering all the commands you need to know to pass the test.

Other: This is unnecessary. I also setup vmware, nested hyper-v within it, and setup a few virtual hosts and servers on both so I have more machines to fill out the virtual lab - this is unnecessary, but I also wanted to polish up on my vmware experience, and get more familiar with Server 2012 and HyperV. I installed a domain controller in the virtual environment, configured various services, and have it running like a simulated small office environment.

Book: Read the book. I didn't skip the introduction part, which is roughly 75 pages itself - but it lays out how the book works, how its structured, and how to approach studying and tracking your progress. I am following it exactly, and I feel its approach works good for not just getting through the topics, but ensuring you understand them and retain them. I complete the tasks at the beginning and end of each chapter, which helps to ensure I absorb everything. The book is really indispensable in my opinion, as reading and doing as you go along is really important to developing the skills you need. I apply what I read in GNS3, and also at times, I fire up one of the CBT nuggets videos on a certain topic and go through the configuration while the presenter does in my own virtual equipment.

Transcender: I used transcender to get an MCP cert back in 2008. I had a lot of experience in desktop administration, so I did nothing to study except complete transcender tests a few times, and when satisfied I was getting really good scores, I went and passed the real test. I bought the 100-101 Transcender package, which includes a voucher to take the exam - it cost $250, so basically $150 for the exam voucher and $100 for the practice exam software. The exam software includes over 250 questions, and it will enable you to test yourself on the material you cover before actually taking the test - I wanted to ensure I passed in one attempt, and they give you a one pass guarantee where you can get your money back for transcender if you don't pass. This was worth it to me, as I can't afford to drop $150 on a test I fail right now - but to be confident I will pass, its a good investment for me.

What not to do

Just a few things here, in my opinion:
- Don't pay for any network simulator product. GNS3 is the best, and there's a huge and very active community out there for it unlike the paid products.
- Don't pay for any book, unless its the official cert guide I mentioned. It's reasonably priced, and no other book can be better at ensuring you know everything you need to.
- Don't plan on just taking the test and passing. There is enough material, that even if you do networking every day, there are probably some knowledge gaps and you will need to study to brush up on areas you don't use regularly.

You could get away without using a practice exam. The book does a good job at ensuring you actually know the material after reading it, and at doing a final review... But I like the extra confidence of the practice exam so I did that anyway.

Conclusion

So basically, this is my approach. This is a difficult pursuit, especially without any experience within Cisco IOS, as there are a lot of commands and configuration options - Cisco recommends a couple years of network experience before attempting the test. However, despite starting from scratch this is working for me. I need to finish the book, but I expect I'll be ready in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
IMOG also i would add packet tracer to the list, as most of the labs done and can be done in PT, however, sometimes it is temperamental and does crash.

one thing PT can do that GNS3 cant is Switching that is the only reason GNS3 may be discouraged. also you do not need IOS images for PT

that is one thing i did not like about GNS3, its routing ONLY --- nothing else you can map physical ports to ports on the network adapter to simulate a WAN or a vlan trunk to a switch using a router on a stick scenario, but that is about it.

nevertheless, there are also sites that i wont post, as they are more geared on the exam and exam questions as that would violate not only our ToS, but cisco's ToS for the CCENT

ive taken the 200-120 twice and let me tell you, its not easy and i got 66% one time and 72% on the second. it is by far the most confusing and annoying test i have taken to date.

failed both times :/

my suggestion is to study on the following topics

ipv6: familiarize your mind with addressing and using the trailing 0's trick. (base 64 love it and learn it)

routing: ospf, and EIGRP are on the test -- the exam i took had mostly eigrp sim's though.

know your basic very very basic networking fundamentals as they are on the test still
duplexing
access lists
broadcast / collision domains - how to tell what you have
show commands - how to interpret information (like duplexing, spanning tree)
OSI model - new version, study up on that!
subnetting

the list goes on .....

you will get atleast 2 to 3 sim's on the test from my experience, ranging from routing to switching and drag and drops.

you need to know this material in and out if you want to pass with a decent score, you do need 825 out of 1000 to pass, this is not easy as you have no idea what point value is given to any question.

you do have 6 or 7 categories in this test ranging from troubleshooting, routing, switching, basic network operation, sub netting, wan technologies, and one other one i'm not sure about.

thx im was planning on getting the CCNA but I may get this 1st!
also im in cisco classes
thx again!

Thanks! I'm currently studying networking in college. It's all Cisco and I'm to get my CCNA next January (2015?).

IMOG also i would add packet tracer to the list, as most of the labs done and can be done in PT, however, sometimes it is temperamental and does crash.

one thing PT can do that GNS3 cant is Switching that is the only reason GNS3 may be discouraged. also you do not need IOS images for PT

that is one thing i did not like about GNS3, its routing ONLY --- nothing else you can map physical ports to ports on the network adapter to simulate a WAN or a vlan trunk to a switch using a router on a stick scenario, but that is about it.

nevertheless, there are also sites that i wont post, as they are more geared on the exam and exam questions as that would violate not only our ToS, but cisco's ToS for the CCENT

ive taken the 200-120 twice and let me tell you, its not easy and i got 66% one time and 72% on the second. it is by far the most confusing and annoying test i have taken to date.

failed both times :/

my suggestion is to study on the following topics

ipv6: familiarize your mind with addressing and using the trailing 0's trick. (base 64 love it and learn it)

routing: ospf, and EIGRP are on the test -- the exam i took had mostly eigrp sim's though.

know your basic very very basic networking fundamentals as they are on the test still
duplexing
access lists
broadcast / collision domains - how to tell what you have
show commands - how to interpret information (like duplexing, spanning tree)
OSI model - new version, study up on that!
subnetting

the list goes on .....

you will get atleast 2 to 3 sim's on the test from my experience, ranging from routing to switching and drag and drops.

you need to know this material in and out if you want to pass with a decent score, you do need 825 out of 1000 to pass, this is not easy as you have no idea what point value is given to any question.

you do have 6 or 7 categories in this test ranging from troubleshooting, routing, switching, basic network operation, sub netting, wan technologies, and one other one i'm not sure about.

Thanks. I think packet tracer is a good recommendation.

I have packet tracer, and some labs for it, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I figured I'd approach that perhaps in the final review stage of studying.

I wouldn't feel bad at all for those CCNA scores - they are good really and show you know a lot, just not enough to pass the exam. There is simply a lot of material, a lot of detail within it, and then also a lot of the questions are phrased harder than I've seen on other certification exams... For instance, a lot of questions like story problems, except with many details missing, where by knowing the concepts and principles you are expected to fill in the gaps/read between the lines, just in order to have the information necessary to ultimately solve the question.

The official cert book breaks chapters into 7 sections, as follows:
-Networking fundamentals (really low level details where gaps are likely even for the experienced)
-Ethernet LANs and Switching
-IPv4 Addressing and Subnetting (this is probably the largest part of the test, in regards to what questions cover and base knowledge for answering other questions... This is somewhat obvious looking at the 7 major topics listed here)
-Implementing IPv4
-Advanced IPv4 Addressing Concepts
-IPv4 Services
-IPv6

Last edited:
Also, here's a link to the spreadsheet I'm using to track my cert guide progress:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmFq9AE0a9undHpKdEJXZzdyWWhjVERTNDBCcVlINmc&usp=sharing

It took a few minutes to create, but seeing progress is motivating, and it when I'm done I'll see where my weak points are, and I can keep track of how many times I repeated certain sections. If I find I'm doing poorly in certain sections before I'm done, I think it will help to see which sections I'm repeating to ensure I really know/understand those ones.

When I studied for my CCENT and CCNA back in August, I really liked the books by Todd Lammle. I had both the official documentation and Lammle's book, and I more often read the latter. I did take the old exams and haven't actually went through the materials for the new 100-101 and 200-101.

For studying CCNA topics, Packet Tracer is amazing. I practiced many labs which helped me a lot. I would configure the switches along with the videos (I tried both CBT Nuggets and Paelstra Training, I liked CBT more), which made the videos easier to watch and made myself much more familiar with the commands.

The hardest part about the exam is the amount of information on it. Keeping yourself motivated and tracking your progress in a spreadsheet like imog is a great way to do it. This guide is definitely a good way to get yourself started. I know a few people wanting to get started on their CCNA, and I will definitely be pointing them to this post.

I just read the description there for that Todd Lammle book, and it sounds like a solid package with the items it includes. I obviously can't speak to the content or the organization, while I really like the organization and verification included at the beginning and end of each chapter in the official study guide book I mentioned, but with everything the Lammle book includes for getting prepared it looks like a compelling option.

The hardest part about the exam is the amount of information on it. Keeping yourself motivated and tracking your progress in a spreadsheet like imog is a great way to do it.

I just thought I should also re-touch on this point, because I think its poignant. Initially the amount and breadth of information can seem overwhelming. I started overconfident - I have a lot of big enterprise experience in support and administration roles, and advanced quickly with a lot of configuration and troubleshooting issues for end user devices through 7 years or so of IT experience. There's that, and I'm pretty smart so I thought I could take this test by storm within a week or two, and its been some weeks now since I started with the training. A lot is familiar about the networking concepts and many of the details, but really studying has taught me how much you can accomplish while having a ton of gaps. Some areas I know a chunk about were really elementary understandings and I've already had a few "ah-ha" moments with studying where I've thought it makes a lot of sense this is how it really works, and I was missing some key parts to what I thought was a solid understanding. For a basic example I understood how MACs fit into networking, but I didn't fully appreciate the role they played on LANs - superficially it appears like IPs do all the work. Yes basic, but that part of studying was enlightening to have a more full picture of how something very basic all comes together.

TL;DR I rambled a bit there so I'm going to tighten this post back up to the point that keeping yourself motivated and tracking progress really go hand in hand. I am not one to use spreadsheets and track things that way normally, however in this case I think its an indispensable tool, and one which the book recommended so I'm doing it. The reason I believe I find it so useful is that it compartmentalizes a really big yet detailed thing into small, easily consumed chunks. In doing so, it also gives well defined chunks where I can evaluate how "solid" I feel about that chunk... And that eliminates doubt concerning if I really have my arms around the whole thing. In the end, I'll also have a record I can look back at - to feel good about what I did, to reassure myself that I put the time in, to evaluate just how much time I spent, and finally to give a frame of reference for when I started and when I was finished. That last part is important because I want to do the same for the ICND2/CCNA test, and later for future certifications I may pursue... I want to do a microsoft and vmware cert, and I want to have an honest estimation for the time commitment and progress.

So in my opinion, the largest key to success for me in pursuing CCENT/CCNA is compartmentalizing effectively. This may be my favorite part about this book. My least favorite part is how long it takes to get to where it actually starts, but through that introduction it explains how its going to break a very big thing into small pieces, and that's important for making the ensuing 30 chapters look a lot more consumable than it seems when on page 1 of an 1188 page tome.

For perspective, I'm ADD. Wasn't medicated till I pursued it in my 20's, which helps a bit, but focus and organization is something I've developed strategies for as a matter of survival throughout my whole life. A good tool or the right approach can help anyone a lot. :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I think packet tracer is a good recommendation.

I have packet tracer, and some labs for it, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I figured I'd approach that perhaps in the final review stage of studying.

I wouldn't feel bad at all for those CCNA scores - they are good really and show you know a lot, just not enough to pass the exam. There is simply a lot of material, a lot of detail within it, and then also a lot of the questions are phrased harder than I've seen on other certification exams... For instance, a lot of questions like story problems, except with many details missing, where by knowing the concepts and principles you are expected to fill in the gaps/read between the lines, just in order to have the information necessary to ultimately solve the question.

feel bad? i took the 200-120 when the older test was out i dont feel bad about that at all for a test i was completely unprepared for :thup:

i did finally take the old exam before the restriction date, however, :bang head 775 while i had a cold :shrug:

i got low scores on describe how a network works (operations) and implement and troubleshoot nat / acl (security) i do good at building them and figuring them out, but looking at one takes a little more time for me to digest. there are sooooo many variables you can use denying or accepting packets so you have to be careful.

also, with packet tracer it does crash from time to time it is not a 100% solid simulator, really none of them are perfect, but with the CCNA and doing i t all you can in packet tracer.

doing things like etherchannel, HSRP, and some of the advanced switching CCNP things are a little awkward to do, as they have nuances and weird behavior.

edit: and honestly, alit of these tests to me are not my idea of how well you know or understand the material. you have to experience this stuff in a production environment in order to really get it down. you can only lab, test, or play for so long before it gets redundant. i'd love to get my CCNA as my next milestone, however, three $300 have drained me for a while and my student loans are starting to come.

Before the TL;DR kicks in I want to stress this to people who are wanting to take these exams. Unless you have an CCNA or an CCNP by itself these tests will get you nowhere in terms of your career.

It is much much better to get started in telecommunications first, then get certified; not the other way around. Especially given that every large telecom will pay for you to get certified since they have a hard time finding qualified internal canidates that have them.

The best example I can give is my own experience to those reading this:

I started with AT&T about 6 years ago doing tech support in a call center. Because it is union once you reach time in position you are allowed to test and transfer out based on senority. These tests in the case of AT&T are company specific, mostly electrical and basic networking/subnetting which do not benefit at all from any of these tests. There are materials on the exam that is covered with these certs, but not all of it. More importantly once you have time in position PLUS a certificate you go from making crap to making absolutely banging money. That IMO if I could do it over again would do.

For all the young'ans who want some hard numbers to go off of career wise this is we make as per our updated contract as of 2013

Customer Assistant (tech support entry level, no exp req')
$576 Weekly - $29952 Yearly

Wire Technician (entry level, requres company testing but no exp req')
$865.50 ($21.6 Hourly) - $45,006 Yearly (plus with enough OT you can crack over $100,000; I know several who do 150+)

VSOT (required company testing, no cisco requred)
$1,441.85 Weekly - $74976.20 Yearly

Connectivity Specialist (requires company testing plus cisco certs)
(Tier 1) $1,508.14 Weekly - $78423.28 Yearly
(Tier 2) $1,640.78 Weekly - $85320.56 Yearly

So it *does* pay off to persue this field however it does require an "in" with a company to put it to use unless you have a high level cert which are REAAAAALLLY expensive. Even if you do get them all it buys you is job security...maybe. So please learn from my mistake and get an intern ASAP. Don't start after college like I did otherwise I wouldn't have a heck of a lot less debt. If I went to installation and repair and skipped college all together I could have been making 6 figures before I was 20.

</end rant>

I attempted getting certified a couple months ago and just about got it. However I've put it on hold as I no longer need it for the job I'm doing just yet. However I am eventually going to get my NP but I want to add a couple other things.

I was suprised how much in the way of IOS commands in terms of simulations were on the exam. I honestly would have passed if it weren't for that one secion. The company paid training we used didnt go into very much concerning simulations or labs which is a shame but thats neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Good insight also, I agree in respect to my own experience. Experience counts for everyone more than anything else.

Worse yet, most people want to hire someone for the same job they've done in the past. It seems ludicrous to me as you should want employees who thrive when challenged, but hiring decisions rarely actually work out well so whatever. :)

I wanted to chime in here and agree with Sentential. Experience is king in the field of Telecommunications/Networking. Like Sentential, I started out in the telecom world with no certifications (It was my second IT job - the first being helpdesk). My pay was pretty much on par with his throughout what he listed.

After you get the experience the certs will help. For example, we hired a CCNP with an MS degree and no experience. He went to Tier 1 making $15/hr. Conversely, a CCNP with an MS and 5yrs experience would generally be in a more senior position either provisioning or engineering and making twice as much.

In the end it all comes down to you and your aptitude as well as attitude. As I tell everyone considering a career in this field, don't go chasing dollar signs, it will leave you heart broken and miserable.

I wanted to chime in here and agree with Sentential. Experience is king in the field of Telecommunications/Networking. Like Sentential, I started out in the telecom world with no certifications (It was my second IT job - the first being helpdesk). My pay was pretty much on par with his throughout what he listed.

After you get the experience the certs will help. For example, we hired a CCNP with an MS degree and no experience. He went to Tier 1 making $15/hr. Conversely, a CCNP with an MS and 5yrs experience would generally be in a more senior position either provisioning or engineering and making twice as much.

In the end it all comes down to you and your aptitude as well as attitude. As I tell everyone considering a career in this field, don't go chasing dollar signs, it will leave you heart broken and miserable.

yes, the cocky get cocky and end up turning to other people when they have issues. i have had this experience lately.

i had to bail out a co-worker for disabling CDP on a switch :bang head SCCP cisco phones DO need that in order to operate!

took me a while to figure it out because connectivity was shy at best and inter vlan routing was not working properly.

Worse yet, most people want to hire someone for the same job they've done in the past. It seems ludicrous to me as you should want employees who thrive when challenged, but hiring decisions rarely actually work out well so whatever. :)

This right here is honestly my biggest regret. Knowing what I know now I honestly would not have gone to college, and if I did I would be persuing internships and connections far FAR more aggressively.

I'd like to add to this, I whole-heartidly agree with everything you said but would like to add the following:

Most of the telecoms, the big ones atleast, are all union shops. There are tons of job opening that are *NOT* repeat *NOT* shown to the public. These jobs are for the most part life-time appointments. Most of the engineers we work with have been there 20+ years. One guy out at the Oxford workcenter just celebrated his 35th year with the company.

That means if you try getting a certificate, even if you have them all you are going to be picking up the scraps in positions where HR cannot find anyone to fill while the really good jobs go to internal canidates first.

The best example I can give is my current job. I absolutely love love love it as much as I hated my old one. In our company my job title is VSOT or Video Site Operations Technician which is a fancy word for a data-center technician for the video head end for where I live here in Midland, TX. We are responsible for maintaining the datacenter and routing national TV feeds from Mission and running interference for the local TV broadcasters. There are just two of us, me and the senior tech who maintain 2 OC-192s and the video equipment required for Uverse.

This job pays serious money and I am so blessed to have it however; there are only about 50 of us....nation wide. That's it. 50.

Of those most are former managers, the others were internal canidates from across the company. These jobs were never posted to external canidates nor will they be because of the union agreement with the CWA unless they cannot find somone. (it doesnt happen)

Which means unless you worked for AT&T, had senority AND were meeting you would never be able to do this job much less apply to it. Period!

Also keep in mind this job neither requires *any* certificates *OR* a college degree.... think about that! $35 an hour that requires neither of these things. Now the next level above this one does sure, but my current one doesn't and for a lot of people it ain't too shabby. Frankly I'm content to stay here until I retire which is a sentiment shared by everyone I work with.

So please I cannot stress this enough if you are in college studying IT, do not make the same mistake I did. For all the time you spend networking computers you need to do atleast as much netwokring with people in the field otherwise you'll pay for it in the long run like I did. It doesn't matter where you start or how; just get in people! That's all that matters!

Last edited:
I got my start professionally through an internship, which I got through my participation in a business student group that was a joke - we were basically running a scam by calling ourselves a student group, and taking support money from the university to buy soft drinks and food for our meetings. It was my kind of student group. However, we weren't entirely illegitimate - we would occasionally arrange to bring in speakers mostly from HR departments at various big area companies, who would be happy to come in and talk about who they need and the skills they look for. This would help with their recruiting. So I pursued one of those who I liked, and that is how I got my internship, and I wouldn't have had the opportunity if I wasn't in college at the time. Once the internship got a foot in the door, for a technical track employee it was all about aptitude and capability (intelligence). Education only mattered for management track people.

I just started back at school, transferred back to the local state college and got accepted. I have 4 classes left for my CIS undergrad and I already applied for graduation Spring 2014 - I took my first college class 14 years ago, and I'm almost finally complete. With my bachelor's degree, and a couple recent certs, hopefully I can land that juicy ideal position I want more easily. For me its more about the nature of the work and quality of life than it is about compensation (I have seen plenty of jobs I'm qualified for at a reasonable wage, most of them just aren't cool).

Getting back to the certification here...

Having watched the videos, I'm finding as I progress through the chapters it seems as though it's helping to integrate the book material. For instance, through the videos I'm already familiar with a lot - so the book isn't showing me anything new, as much as it is filling in a lot of details that I didn't retain from the video. I'm getting into a lot of commands in the book currently, so I'm just focusing on memorizing the most common ones and remembering which context to get into to use contextual help for the rest.

Back