• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 Overclock and Ram Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

I have question concerning ram, and overclocking a 8350 to 4.5- 4.6g. I currently have this ram - Corsair Vengeance [2 x 4GB] 1600MHz ram.

I plan on using a Asus Crosshair Formula-Z or a Asus Sabertooth R.20 990FX with this cpu. Prices took a jump upward recently, so I will wait until the new year for prices to go down.

Based on this set-up, and using the fsb to overclock, should I go with higher clocked ram ? I was thinking of using ram rated at 1866MHz, and then under clock it to 1600MHz before overclocking the cpu using the fsb.

You'll probably be fine most 1600 will run up to ~2000 with different timings and volts.

I always prefer getting higher speed ram, 1866 or 2133 are then capable of overclocking or underclocking with tighter timings.

The ram can be kept between platforms as well.

unless going Ln2/uber benching or wanting the premium mobo, the sabertooth will do fine.

your technique of overclocking the FSB will do good, but remember that these chips produce a stupid amount of heat. so consider decent aircooling or watercooling in the budget.

I always prefer getting higher speed ram, 1866 or 2133 are then capable of overclocking or underclocking with tighter timings.

The ram can be kept between platforms as well.

unless going Ln2/uber benching or wanting the premium mobo, the sabertooth will do fine.

your technique of overclocking the FSB will do good, but remember that these chips produce a stupid amount of heat. so consider decent aircooling or watercooling in the budget.

Not sure if its just the holiday season or what, but the CHF went from 215.00 to 294.00 recently. The Sabertooth R.20 should work fine for my purpose.Using a Antec DF-85 full tower, a NH-D14, Evga 760 4g, and (1) 24" monitor. Nothing extreme, but should work well for a mid-level rig.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back