• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 I think Im ready, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Ok, I think Im ready to go over to 8.1, A few questions, small ones mind you but a few.

1. why is full retail version with 32 and 64 bit disc's only 119. dollars ? Is it because of all the negativity surrounding this OS ?

2. Are the Nvidia and AMD drivers all up to snuff for high end cards and SLI setups etc etc. Any issues not on 7 present in 8.1 ?

3.I don't think there is but are any big title games having any issue with 8.1 vs 7. I have generally over 30-40 games on my system at any one time. All the usuals, WoW, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3,4 Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, you get the idea. Lastly in the game catagory Geforce experience all working well, I kinda like it.

4. Is it really faster ? I have Win 7 64 bit and love it. I want to get a retail copy of Windows as I have an OEM and called them 3 times due to my frequent upgrades. I just want to get a copy I don't have to call on when I upgrade :D They have been very nice each time I called and hooked me right up. But don't want to wear out my welcome. I was going to get Win 7 but it's 199 and win 8.1 is 119 big difference :/

Im going to get one in the morning from New Egg when I hit the send button, which shall it be ? :D

1. They're really trying to get people to buy it, that's all.
2. I haven't heard of anyone having driver issues with any cards
3. Should have NO problems
4. It's marginally faster in CERTAIN games not all games are gonna be a 25 fps boost, but I've yet to see one perform WORSE.

I LOVE win7 but that being said win 8.1 was good when I had it (hacked version to test it)

1. Lots of people who have never bought Windows before have bought legal licenses for Windows 8 because of the lower prices.

2. Graphics driver issues should affect both Win7 and 8 equally. It is always a good idea to partition an SSD into relatively small partitions and not install large programs on the OS partitions and install dual boots or multiple boots allowing you to quickly reboot into another OS to check if any problems are OS-related.

3. Compatibility appears to be user-related. When someone posts an issue claiming it is OS-related, quick search reveals that there are other people running that their problem is usually user-related not OS-related.

4. It is faster but not faster to justify ditching a perfectly working Windows 7. If all things are equal then yes go with Windows 8 and if you are like the majority of people out here, then you will dislike Windows 8 interface and so if you do install this so that you have an *option* just an option of using both Windows 8 Metro as well as Windows 7-looking interface:
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
[You can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button.]

I feel Win 8 is still a little bit rough around the edges. Is it better than Win 7? I can't say. But it's newer than Win 7 and cheaper. If you are going to buy a new OS (between Win 7 and Win 8) might as well be Win 8.

I'm setting up a Win 8.1 system for a friend as I type. The hardest part so far was getting Win to recognize a mouse + keyboard. After that it seems o.k. I'm mirroring 2 x 2TB drives atm and formatting isn't any faster than never before. :p

The hardest part so far was getting Win to recognize a mouse + keyboard.

I have to wonder if you're using some obscure or old mouse/keyboard that's giving you this issue. I haven't had any trouble with any OS detecting any input device in the last decade or more.

In any event, OP you got all the answers that you were looking for. I'll just add that while 8.1 is 'faster,' it's probably not noticeably faster 9 times out of 10 (the 1/10 is boot time, in my experience). I think Windows 8.1 is slightly different, but great all around. If you're going to buy a new OS, there's no reason not to get it, in my opinion. That said, though, I'm not sure that I'd just go spend $120 on a new OS when I've already got 7.

I have to wonder if you're using some obscure or old mouse/keyboard that's giving you this issue. I haven't had any trouble with any OS detecting any input device in the last decade or more.

In any event, OP you got all the answers that you were looking for. I'll just add that while 8.1 is 'faster,' it's probably not noticeably faster 9 times out of 10 (the 1/10 is boot time, in my experience). I think Windows 8.1 is slightly different, but great all around. If you're going to buy a new OS, there's no reason not to get it, in my opinion. That said, though, I'm not sure that I'd just go spend $120 on a new OS when I've already got 7.

Yes sir, I have all I need and thanks to all, My big issue is I like many upgrade things alot. I have the OEM version of Win 7 and have called them 3-4 times already to get my copy authorized. I just want to eliminate that and not have to think about that every time I consider a purchase. My copy started on an Asus AMD mobo and Phenom II CPU. LOL I have done so much on one copy and they have been wonderful at Microsoft. I don't want to wear out my welcome ;)

I remember seeing a review where W8 had trouble with Crossfire. Do not remember games tested or if W7 did same,
Be careful, you need a Microsoft Account (email). You cannot simply download many (Kindle, Nook, 8.1 upgrade for W8) "aps" without access to Microsoft Store.
I tried to download the security code to an iphone email address. Locked because either W8 does not recognize iphone email (but sends code that does not arrive), or you need to download an ap.
Finding normal (for W7) operation can be frustration indeed.
Old Tech
On an old HP Compaq CQ60-220US notebook neither HP or Microsoft have sound drivers under W8.
Ran a USB sound plug in, and USB powered speakers with sound jack.
upgrade to W8.1 lost sound drivers and DVD drivers. Still looking for fix.

I will have to say if you are going to buy a new OS, it might as well be Win 8.1. I just built a new computer a couple of weeks ago and installed Win 8.1 on it, even though I have a retail Windows 7 Ultimate disc. You should not experience any problem with Win 8 that you wouldn't have experienced with Win 7. For me, building with an SSD and Win 8.1 gives me a 12 second boot time, which is noticeably faster than my Win 7 on a traditional HDD. Yes you will have to get used to the interface, but after using it for a while it shouldn't be that hard.

If you install Classic Shell ( a free program) you can more or less bypass the annoying metro interface and use Windows 8.1 pretty much like you would Windows 7. Classic Shell will give you the Start button back. It's also a good idea to change the file/program associations so that Windows 8.1 opens pics in the older picture viewer instead of the awful one Windows 8/8.1 uses by default.

Just a heads up. I have a Neo V and it won't connect to Win 8.1 (fastboot and all). Installed all Sony pc programs/drivers, Android SDK and any drivers I could find. Had to go back to a Win 7 machine to install kernel.

If you install Classic Shell ( a free program) you can more or less bypass the annoying metro interface and use Windows 8.1 pretty much like you would Windows 7. Classic Shell will give you the Start button back. It's also a good idea to change the file/program associations so that Windows 8.1 opens pics in the older picture viewer instead of the awful one Windows 8/8.1 uses by default.

It took some getting use to, but I actually like most of the changes that Win 8 brought.

Although most discussions focus on 'getting used to it' - there are practical issues that hold acceptance back.

Simple Shut Down / Reboot procedure is an excellent example:

Do you hover your mouse *carefully* in the corner, hoping to Fish-In the "Charms" pop-up, only to have to carefully scroll down to Settings thereafter, making sure that Charms doesn't disappear? Doesn't it take a bit of time after that for your eye to locate the Power button to only then bring up the menu to be able to perform the Reboot/Shut Down process?

In Windows 7 or Windows 8+Classic Shell, it's *click* *click* - and it's done.

Although most discussions focus on 'getting used to it' - there are practical issues that hold acceptance back.

Simple Shut Down / Reboot procedure is an excellent example:

Do you hover your mouse *carefully* in the corner, hoping to Fish-In the "Charms" pop-up, only to have to carefully scroll down to Settings thereafter, making sure that Charms doesn't disappear? Doesn't it take a bit of time after that for your eye to locate the Power button to only then bring up the menu to be able to perform the Reboot/Shut Down process?

In Windows 7 or Windows 8+Classic Shell, it's *click* *click* - and it's done.

Or you could just right click on the Windows button in Win 8.1 :) it's *click* *click* - and it's done

:) But there is no Windows Button in Metro.

If we're talking Desktop Windows Start Button, then why not get the real deal with Classic Shell Start Button and booting into Desktop, going into Metro only when we rarely need it, if ever for more than 50% of us [more than 50% a.k.a. the majority]. :shrug:

Yes, they said they are bring back the Start Menu to Windows 9 in 2015.

On the other hand, they also said that they were bringing back the Start Button to Windows 8.1 ... and they did bring back "a" start button to Windows 8.1 -- not "the" Start Button because Win8.1 button just catapulted you right back into the jaws of Metro, so it turned out to be more of a cruel joke than a real Start Button.... as you can imagine the look on the face of someone not so familiar with computers after finally somehow escaping Metro to find themselves inside the familiarity of Desktop they understand and then that Win8.1 button takes them right back into Metro they tried to escape from instead of into the real Start Menu they expected to see.

As long as there is a customization choice, default out of the box setup doesn't really matter, so Windows 9 will be a success if they give us choices, simple choices to set up the interface as we choose without resorting to third party programs like Classic Shell.

Last edited:
Hi rogbur22,

I'd second the idea of installing classic-shell to disable Metro. I have been running 8.1 since it came out, without a hitch. Within the limited scope of my usage I have not found any discernible difference between 7 and 8.1. Regarding Metro, I suppose one could get used to it, but I prefer the traditional interface. I must say that the media center is quite polished and not as problematic as with 7. If there is anything specific you want me to test, please let me know.

Back