• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server board vs. 1366 coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Simple question (or maybe not so simple...): Can a aftermarket, or OEM Intel 1366 cooler fit on a 1366 server board?

I don't understand your question. As long as it is the standard 1366 spacing, it will fit.

Does this apply to all 1366 server boards, or would I have to check on a board by board basis? I'm thinking of getting a dual 1366 socket server board, and I have some heatsinks that can be used on 1366 consumer boards, but I just wanna be sure that I can actually mount it to any 1366 server board, and not end up needing to buy more heatsinks because of a different hole spacing or mounting method.

Yes/No/Maybe?

It is virtually impossible to blanket answer this type of question. Some Coolers have heatpipes that seemingly want to run through the next timezone before bending vertical, some Manufacturers decide that the only clear space needed around the socket is the screw holes and everything else should be as close as possible.

What board, what Cooler?

Yes/No/Maybe?

It is virtually impossible to blanket answer this type of question. Some Coolers have heatpipes that seemingly want to run through the next timezone before bending vertical, some Manufacturers decide that the only clear space needed around the socket is the screw holes and everything else should be as close as possible.

What board, what Cooler?

I can deal with and understand that there may/will be spacing issues with the oversized tower heatsinks, but my questions is really about the mounting. Are the hole spacing the same? Is the mounting method the same? Are the hole sizes the same? If 1366 server boards as a whole do not use the same sizing, spacing, and method as a regular 1366 consumer board, then I wouldn't be able to use any aftermarket (or even OEM Intel) heatsink, regardless of the actual size of the heatsink itself.

I can deal with and understand that there may/will be spacing issues with the oversized tower heatsinks, but my questions is really about the mounting. Are the hole spacing the same? Is the mounting method the same? Are the hole sizes the same? If 1366 server boards as a whole do not use the same sizing, spacing, and method as a regular 1366 consumer board, then I wouldn't be able to use any aftermarket (or even OEM Intel) heatsink, regardless of the actual size of the heatsink itself.

AFAIK, the spacing is set by Intel/AMD for the socket and not decided by the manufacturer of the board.

Outside of proprietary designs it doesnt matter who makes the board since the spacing is standard. It is the "same" as ATX/E-ATX/mATX/ITX hole spacing on motherboards.

I can't think of any socket which had the same "name" (i.e. 478, 940, 771, etc) but a different mounting configuration between a server board and a regular End User board outside of proprietary MB designs.

Your answer is yes. It's a standardized hole spacing but your other part might be no depending on how the server board is configured as I've seen some pretty convoluted parts spacing if you're trying to fit an aftermarket cooler in a chassis.

Back