• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Leak from bad Driver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyChotik

Okay, so I just installed Windows 8.1 Pro + WMC

It's the only version of Windows I've ever bought, so I can't downgrade.

But I've got the MSI Z87 GD65-Gaming motherboard with the Killer E2200 Networking NIC.

I got the most recent driver from the website, but as soon as I start some networking traffic, my Non-paged memory pool grows substantially.

I can't keep my computer on for more than a day without all 8gb of my ram hitting 99% without anything open except Pandora.

I know, that's not a typical "day" on the computer, I do a lot more than that, but I can't keep on the computer without this driver going haywire on me.

Anybody have any recommendations? 💻

does it hit that WITHOUT pandora running?

Any network usage at all racks it up.

What all is enabled in your Start Menu?

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 the only things installed are the Graphics Driver, Chrome, Silverlight, and the Networking Driver, which seems to have a memory leak in nds.sys

Is there a way to disable nds.sys?

Any network usage at all racks it up.

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 the only things installed are the Graphics Driver, Chrome, Silverlight, and the Networking Driver, which seems to have a memory leak in nds.sys

Is there a way to disable nds.sys?

Yes, but check first in Windows Devices to see if there is a Yellow Triangle with and Exclamation Point in it beside your LAN device. There could be a conflict or some issue you aren't aware of regarding hardware or drivers. Otherwise, you can also disable your drivers from there, refresh them, delete them. As well, under Component Services you can set you LAN chipset up to be manually started.

Yes, but check first in Windows Devices to see if there is a Yellow Triangle with and Exclamation Point in it beside your LAN device. There could be a conflict or some issue you aren't aware of regarding hardware or drivers. Otherwise, you can also disable your drivers from there, refresh them, delete them. As well, under Component Services you can set you LAN chipset up to be manually started.

I've tried that, I think it's just the driver, but it's the only one that works on 8.1 :comp:

Did you clarify if it's a "one size fits all" type of update or if it's BIOS related? The 1.8 BIOS is a Zip file which should pop onto your system BIOS. I don't know that MB; is it UEFI? Does your board support Live Update?

I found something that worked.

Went into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NDU

And changed REG_DWORD Start to 4 (Disable) restarted, and the leak seems fixed.

I'll update later tonight after leaving my machine on to see if it fixes it.

I found something that worked.

Went into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NDU

And changed REG_DWORD Start to 4 (Disable) restarted, and the leak seems fixed.

I'll update later tonight after leaving my machine on to see if it fixes it.

I would think that key would also be available within Component Services as adjustable from 'Auto' to 'Manual'.

Back