• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung Rapid Mode - Memory Leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xterra

I have a Samsung Evo SSD and I enabled the RAPID mode which significantly increased my performance on an already impressive drive. I couldn't be happier, until I noticed memory leaks in BF4, where my non-paged pool would max my RAM out. A lot of people were having this problem (still are) and I began to troubleshoot the leaks with Poolmon. The BF4 leaks have subsided for the most part with Dice releasing their constant patches to improve their code but tonight, I noticed that my non-paged pool memory was at 900mb and climbing: 1Gb -> 1.2Gb ->1.3Gb -> etc.

I booted up Poolmon and noticed a few high Non-paged values and tried to ID them with findstr via the cmd. It pointed me to a lot of garbage but I was able to find:
Code:
SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys

I immediately disabled the RAPID Mode on my Evo SSD via the Samsung Magician software suite and rebooted. The non-paged pool is currently ~<100Mb. I enabled RAPID Mode on the SSD rebooted and replicated the memory leak and my non-paged pool value steadily balooned up to 2Gb+.

My question to Samsung SSD owners is have you noticed this behavior out of your SSD since enabling RAPID on your drive? I am bummed that I cannot use this performance enhancing feature without a memory leak.

System Specs:
Win 8.1 x64 | 16 Gb 1600 | i5 4670K | Ud3h z87 | Asus 6950 DC2 | Samsung Evo 500Gb

Thanks!

Hi, Xterra

I too have the same problem and was able to replicate it the same way you did. Unfortunately i went through alot of heartache before i could determine that this was in fact the cause of my memory leak. The only solution i have found so far is to disable it.

I know this is an old thread but I found myself troubleshooting a similar issue.

During normal system usage, Resource Monitor only totaled like 2.5GB of RAM, but my system/task manager was registering over 4GB while hardly doing anything. Then as I started using more applications (especially a lot of IE tabs), my system would go completely bonkers. All of my 3 monitors would would flash black/white (and lose all other visuals) several times then just completely log me off the system, closing anything I was working on. I've lost so much work due to this. Grr. I finally believe I have narrowed that problem down to the OPs findings. I was able to pull up task manager while it was happening (thus temporarily preventing the black/white flicker) and see my RAM usage was maxing out at 5.8 -> 5.9, etc (out of 6GB total). This lead me to believe my machine was simply maxing out of RAM and not handling it gracefully thus just shutting down. <shrug>.

PoolMon lead me to a non-paged pool tag named NDbf consuming over 1.3GB of RAM, which turns out is the SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys, as you have identified with similar RAM usage. I disabled Rapid Mode and restarted and now my Non Paged Pool is only 123MB.

FWIW, it appears this is by design though and not a memory leak. I happened to run across this article which states that Rapid mode is intended to use upwards of 1GB of your system memory as a cache for the SSD. http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...gnificantly-increase-samsung-ssd-performance/

Last edited:
Back