• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Ti or not to TI.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I had originally considered getting the 780 since the release of the 780 Ti should drive the price down to a much more sensible range. However, I tend to buy a piece of hardware and use it for years. My 560 Ti which I bought new in 2010 is still in this system, along with other parts of my system in use since then (and longer). So, even though the 780 Ti is still a huge jump in price, I was strongly considering it instead of the 780. But is the $200 premium really worth it, considering it will be my main video card for probably the next 3 years?

So, maybe I can get some yeahs or nays to sway me one way or the other with the following points to consider:

• I do not multi-monitor game, though I do have a multi-monitor setup.
  • I will primarily game at 1920x1080. I have a 120Hz (144Hz capable) gaming monitor that I will also be using with 3D glasses for 3D gaming the majority of the time, so most of my gaming will be @ 120Hz, 1920x1080, in 3D mode.
  • I prefer to game with as much in game eye candy on as possible, but AA isn't mandatory, especially if it causes the game to start going down in FPS.
  • I'd prefer to stick with just 1 card instead of trying to plan for SLI. I got SLI so late with my 560 Ti, that it didn't really benefit me much at all except in a couple of games.
  • This will probably be the only video card I get for the next couple of years. I tend to skip 2 gens (8800GTX > 280GTX > 560TI > 780?) and sometimes buy them as late as the next gen releases. :eek:

So should I save the $200 and go with a vanilla 780? Or splurge and go all out with the 780 Ti? :popcorn:

I'd say go for gold with the Ti. Like you said, you don't upgrade yearly. And have a 144hz monitor. Which could use the horsepower IMO. It'll last you a while for sure. It'd be my pick.

The fact you're already considering it means you've potentially got the money to splurge on it. So why not? That said I've got a 2560*1440 screen and currently run a 670. I have plans to eventually move to a 780. Non Ti reference model. Just because. Haha. I also don't game much any more though... So it's a long term plan..

I'd say go for gold with the Ti. Like you said, you don't upgrade yearly. And have a 144hz monitor. Which could use the horsepower IMO. It'll last you a while for sure. It'd be my pick.

IMHO, the same could be said for the 780 non Ti. :shrug:

I cannot imagine a 780 non Ti not getting the job well done for 3-4 years. I wouldn't go for the 780Ti but it is just my opinion: the 780Ti is sure a great card :thup:

I could and it depends on the needs of the user. BF4 at 2560x1440 Ultra I "only" average around 55 FPS or so. Some people do not want to drop below 60 FPS, PERIOD.

I always say get the best you can afford.

EDIT: But now looking at it, he is at 1080p... and a 780 should be good there for a year or two... tough call, LOL!

I could and it depends on the needs of the user. BF4 at 2560x1440 Ultra I "only" average around 55 FPS or so. Some people do not want to drop below 60 FPS, PERIOD.

I always say get the best you can afford.

EDIT: But now looking at it, he is at 1080p... and a 780 should be good there for a year or two... tough call, LOL!

Yes, 1080p and 3D so tough call as you say. I have a different philosophy regarding FPS. I don't mind going below 60FPS if my display has very low latency and pixels persistency isn't above 15ms: no need imho to have a monster GPU if your screen is a dog. I passed on the Nvidia 3D technology and Asus 120-144Hz displays because of this effect (global latency is around 20ms so too high for me).
I guess if the OP isn't complaining about it and got the display, it isn't an issue for him and FPS could be more concerning.
Anyway, the GTX 780 should be fine for 3-4 years but we can't guess the evolution of ressources needed by not-yet-developped games :shrug:

I dont think anything but a dual GPU card can last fours years and even then it depends on the ram the card has. For example, BF4 will not play well on a GTX 480. It may have the horsepower for medium type settings, but in this case it is ram limited for 1080p+. A 690 will have the horsepower, but 2GB of ram is a bottleneck these days on some titles at 1080p. ;)

Overclocking does not overcome a vram issue, which was my entire point up there. ;)

Both GTX 780Ti and GTX 780 have 3GB GDDR5. The gap in VRAM comes from frequency (6000MHz quad-pumped for the GTX 780 vs 7000MHz quad-pumped for the GTX 780Ti), gap which can be filled with OC if bottleneck appears :)

I am not arguing the fact the GTX 780Ti is better than the GTX 780: it is. I am just saying the GTX 780, even with lower stock-memory bandwith is able to last 3-4 years with all eye-candy stuff on ;)

Yes, 1080p and 3D so tough call as you say. I have a different philosophy regarding FPS. I don't mind going below 60FPS if my display has very low latency and pixels persistency isn't above 15ms: no need imho to have a monster GPU if your screen is a dog. I passed on the Nvidia 3D technology and Asus 120-144Hz displays because of this effect (global latency is around 20ms so too high for me).
I guess if the OP isn't complaining about it and got the display, it isn't an issue for him and FPS could be more concerning.
Anyway, the GTX 780 should be fine for 3-4 years but we can't guess the evolution of ressources needed by not-yet-developped games :shrug:

Unlike you though, I do mind if the fps starts to drop, although sadly, I'm rarely in control of that. :cry:

Btw, the monitor I'm sporting now for my games is the Asus VG248qe. Lightboost 2 + 120Hz really makes a noticeable difference. It's also G-sync capable in the future, which is something else I'm also considering though may not need at all.

I dont think anything but a dual GPU card can last fours years and even then it depends on the ram the card has.

My bad, I didn't read closely enough: your point was about single GPU card in general not having enough memory capacity. I thought you were talking about the 780 not having enough memory bandwith compared to the Ti version.

Unlike you though, I do mind if the fps starts to drop, although sadly, I'm rarely in control of that.

Btw, the monitor I'm sporting now for my games is the Asus VG248qe. Lightboost 2 + 120Hz really makes a noticeable difference. It's also G-sync capable in the future, which is something else I'm also considering though may not need at all.

You have partial control through the graphical options, lower perf from a GPU in a newer game often comes from either a new technology implemented (tesselation, AA, etc...) or an increase in the size/ number of textures. You can control the one but not the other :)

My point about the display was about latency: do the pixels switch off quickly enough? It hasn't anything to do with 120Hz refresh rate or G-sync which are great features but can't deal with blurring on the screen with rapid movements of the character or text scrolling.

Anyway, as ED said, both cards may be memory-limited in a couple of years and Ti or not, it may happen at the same time for the same games. :shrug:

Yep, memory capacity on signle and dual cards (dual cards do not double as the same info is on both sets of vram).

If the OP didn't require 3D, I would say grab a 290X It may do better in a couple of years with vram limited titles...

I agree with EarthDog.

I had both the Ti and the non Ti.

The Ti@Stock gave me the same FPS than the non Ti OC'ed@1250MHz.

And it OC'ed higher (1280 stable IIRC).

Great, great card!

Well as mentioned it seems you can afford the better card. Get the Ti version and be done with it. the only downside to the Ti is the price. the rest is all upside.

Get the better card and enjoy. If you get the 780 vanilla the first time something stutters or makes a milli pause your going to have thoughts running in your mind that you made the wrong decision LOL :D

the only real decision is what brand do you get ? :D

EVGA w/ACX cooler (if it ever comes back in stock). I'm going to ditch putting the gpu in my water loop and just keep the cpu with water.

Maybe these 2 cards would interest you from different points of view, and i will exsplain why! ;)

The first card seems to be one of the highest clocked 870 on the market, with the new Bios installed. Its potential OC has been greatly improved. :attn:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500311&Tpk=zotac gtx 780 amp

1a, http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/59857-zotac-geforce-gtx-780-amp-edition-updated/?page=4

Just look through at these benchmarks for games and you can see it tops out the chart!! ;) :thup:

2, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...mhz-gddr5-gpu-980mhz-boost-1046mhz-cores-2880

This would be my other choice right now! :salute: :attn:

2a, http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/62085-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti/?page=4

Here is the same review, but with this card, so look at the numbers and compare between the 2 cards. Which hopefully will give you the best idea TI or 780!!

Snap 2013-12-21 at 12.02.30.jpg

Snap 2013-12-21 at 12.02.50.jpg

AJ.

Still not convinced yet, how about CRYSIS 3!! And where is the TITAN 6 GB! :shrug:

Snap 2013-12-21 at 12.51.02.jpg

Snap 2013-12-21 at 12.51.17.jpg

Yeah for those members looking and thinking what happened here, well it took me a long while for it to sink in as well. This little unknown Zotac Company just blew me away, and if you see the results when they OC this Beast. Yeah its very close to your TI Guy's only cigarette paper between them both.

AJ.

Last edited:
Back