• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8 Core with Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(REV4)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(REV 4) ...... FX 8150 Friendly. Yup you read that right.

Whatever Gigabyte has done with the new rev 4 board works ..... well at least so far as an option for an entry level board that can OC the FX 8150 to a pretty decent OC for the cooling I have on this chip. It would be nice to drop in the FX 8350 for a run but I won't have the time. Below is a screen of the OC and about a 1 hour prime run before a worker dropped off. It's not far from usable stability and I don't have the time to fine tune it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7599155&postcount=58

To tired tonight to put up a complete post but that should get it started I'll update this with more info tomorrow at some point after I finish plowing the lane.

4600mhz.png

Tentative good news. Seems both Gigabyte and Asus have had their problems with recent revisions.

The system .....

Corsair 600T - * Left Side panel has been modded to allow a 120mm fan for exhausting warm air from behind the CPU Socket
AMD FX 8150
Gygabyte 990FXA UD3
8 Gig Muskin Blackline Ram 1866 @7 10 8 27 T2 1.65v
Coolermaster Silent Pro 850 w Power Supply
Corsair H100

Ok .... for future reference here's some shots of the Bios which is laid out quite differently then any of the ASUS BIOS's that I have used.

BIOS1.JPG

BIOS2.JPG

BIOS3.JPG

BIOS4.JPG

BIOS5.JPG

BIOS6.JPG

BIOS7.JPG

BIOS8.JPG

BIOS9.JPG

BIOS10.JPG

BIOS11.JPG

Now a snap of the default run for this with optimal settings, all green stuff is on. I found a fair bit of voltage fluctuation here somewhere around 0.100v to 0.125v with out making any changes to the LLC you will still see some of this throughout the OC captures and did settle down once I chose a setting for the LLC.

default.png

You have 5 choices Standard, Low, Medium, extreme and Regular although I could not see any difference between the Regular and Standard witch is you stock settling and allot more VCore fluctuation.

Here @ 3.8 with VCore set in Bios to 1.425v and after playing with the LLC which I finally settled on Medium witch only overshot the set VCore by 0.015 - 0.016v compared to a ful 0.100v when set to Extreme. Surprisingly even with the voltage fluctuations the Max VCore never popped up above my BIOS setting of 1.425v by more then 0.002v.

3800mhz.png

@4.0GHZ

4000mhz.png

@4.2GHZ

4200mhx.png

@4.4GHZ

Here is the first I had to bump my VCore @ 1.475v, a fairly hefty jump and at each bump on the multi a bit more was needed after 4.4GHZ

4400mhz.png

@4.5GHZ

4500mhz.png

@4.6GHZ

4600mhz.png

I had used this chip with both my CHV as well as the Sabertooth R2 though with much better cooling. My highest OC was in the 4.7GHZ to 4.8GHZ with a VCore of 1.524v which I an no where near yet with this board though my cooling here with only an H100 is probably affecting this requiring me to run more VCore for these OC's.

For me personally this is an entry level board and although I was able to get some decent OC's with it the VCore fluctuations are a bit much for my liking. Maybe my feeling on this should be tempered a bit as I am so used to the rock steady VCore on my CHV, CHVz and Sabertooth I am a bit spoiled but it is good to see another entry level board that you should be able to OC an FX 6 or 8 Core CPU with.

Last edited:
One thing I should note to get into the BIOS to make any changes I had to pay close attention for the BIOS BEEP as there is no warning screen prior to once I seen my monitor cycle through its warm up a simple press of the Delete button booted me into the bios.

Good work man. Really glad to see these boards making a comeback. The UD3s were some of my favorites in the early days of FX. The Rev2/3 boards were just terrible though.

bassnut I think there are two 0's missing from the two numbers seen first. >> only overshot the set VCore by 0.15 - 0.16v compared to a ful 0.100v when set to Extreme.

0.015 and 0.016??? Otherwise that is 1.5 tenth and 1.6 tenth fluctuation and that is a goodly amount.
RGone...

Thanks RGone .......fixed. Hope the weather it treating you better then it is up here. Just peeled 2" of icy snow off the lane ..... would sooner deal with a foot of snow then this. Cheers ..... and Merry Christmas.

Weather crazy as crap down here. Temps near 80F, then rain and temps 40 day time and mid 20's at night. It appears we will have the first Christmas Day without the temps being near 80 during Christmas day. At least in the last few years.

Ice on things is not fun. Ice in your beverage maybe, but not on your walk and driveway for sure. However two of the "rodeo clowns" in here are taking full advantage of snow mobile attire and cold arse weather outside to do their benching. Hehehe. I would greatly desire a picture of your surroundings as well as the "rodeo clowns" in cold weather gear for benching. The very idea of them donning attire to bench is a hoot in my old minds eye.

Thank you for the updating about Rev 4.0 as what you see seems sort of inline with the huge arse thread over at OCN that has journalled the ups and downs of the UD3's over the last 2 years. Seems a great improvement over the R3.0 boards for certain.

Merry Christmas "bassnut" and a Happy New Year also.

RGone...ster. :thup:

Thanks RGone .......fixed. Hope the weather it treating you better then it is up here. Just peeled 2" of icy snow off the lane ..... would sooner deal with a foot of snow then this. Cheers ..... and Merry Christmas.

Ya this really sucked!!! Finally have my internet back, apparently ice and towers isn't a good combo. There's still a lot of people without power in the Toronto and Niagra region.
Nice work with the Rev.4 Bassnut, I noticed the dame Vcore thing with the TT AIO, couldn't get nearly the same clock/volt combo. Sure is nice to see that Giga started listening.

Ice on things is not fun. Ice in your beverage maybe, but not on your walk and driveway for sure. However two of the "rodeo clowns" in here are taking full advantage of snow mobile attire and cold arse weather outside to do their benching. Hehehe. I would greatly desire a picture of your surroundings as well as the "rodeo clowns" in cold weather gear for benching. The very idea of them donning attire to bench is a hoot in my old minds eye.

Merry Christmas "bassnut" and a Happy New Year also.

RGone...ster. :thup:

Too bad the sun wasn't shining this am as it can be quite beautiful shining through the ice on the trees.

My poor Pine might need some trimming, I hope I don't have to take her down. At about 125' tall I'm not sure where I would put it down especially if it goes the wrong way, that's my neighbor's house right behind it.

1.JPG

Took me about 3 hours to plow the two lanes out had to stop half way through to let the tranny cool off. The ice was so thick even my truck couldn't move it. Did I mention I drive a Dodge Ram 3500 6.7l Diesel. I could push it about 15 - 20 foot before it either stopped me or pushed me sideways.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

As nasty as it looks up my way as I got closer to Kingston it was worse ..... the ice was so heavy on phone and cable lines this stretch of poles, about 1 KM was pulled down.

5.JPG

6.JPG

"bassnut" man thank you for the pics. Beautiful country you live in for sure. Hope the pine survived.

Again thank you for the pictures and you have a Merry and Happy Holiday Season.
RGone...

Ya it was a crazy storm, I lost a few limbs out of this ugly old tree behind the hoouse no great loss but the biggest one( 16") is still hanging in the tree. Not sure how that's coming out? It's about 30' in the air.

Ya it was a crazy storm, I lost a few limbs out of this ugly old tree behind the hoouse no great loss but the biggest one( 16") is still hanging in the tree. Not sure how that's coming out? It's about 30' in the air.

Get a long rope ..... weight it on one end and toss it through some branches ..... bring the end back through a loop and pull tight. Once it's tight then give it a good pull with a truck or something ..... it will come down.

The sun came out today ..... a chance to get a couple frosty pics. -19*C out right now and colder tonight. Perfect benching weather for you Johan ......:salute:

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Get a long rope ..... weight it on one end and toss it through some branches ..... bring the end back through a loop and pull tight. Once it's tight then give it a good pull with a truck or something ..... it will come down.

The sun came out today ..... a chance to get a couple frosty pics. -19*C out right now and colder tonight. Perfect benching weather for you Johan ......:salute:

View attachment 136717

View attachment 136718

View attachment 136719

Is that an ice fishing shanty attached to your quad?

Yep looks like an Ice Hut to me.
The thing with the truck not sure it'll come out nice it's still attached and the house is kinda in the way. I'm hoping it'll just fall some time on it's own. Looks like the best solution for now.

Back