• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom DIY water/moisture/humidity/other proof PC Components: Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

Hi.

Is it possible for me to create custom DIY water/moisture/humidity/other proof PC Components?

What I did: Google Searched and got many expansive products links, not cheap ones.

What I know: I know it cost lots of money to make PC components water/moisture/humidity/other proof.

What I wanted to do/have:
Water/moisture/humidity/other proof for PC Case, Cable (Power & Data) shields cover?, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Last edited:
The best I think you'll be able to do would be making components highly resistant to moisture, but not 100% guaranteed waterproof.

The metal contacts (CPU socket, PCIe slots, DIMM slots, power/data connectors, mobo headers, etc.) need to connect external components and need to be able to be removed and re-attached. What you can do is tape off all the slots/connectors/headers on the PCBs, then spray the entire thing with a silicone conformal. Then, you can put petroleum jelly in all of the contact slots that you taped off.

This is what benchmarkers do when using subzero cooling to protect the board and components from condensation and water.

The best I think you'll be able to do would be making components highly resistant to moisture, but not 100% guaranteed waterproof.

The metal contacts (CPU socket, PCIe slots, DIMM slots, power/data connectors, mobo headers, etc.) need to connect external components and need to be able to be removed and re-attached. What you can do is tape off all the slots/connectors/headers on the PCBs, then spray the entire thing with a silicone conformal. Then, you can put petroleum jelly in all of the contact slots that you taped off.

This is what benchmarkers do when using subzero cooling to protect the board and components from condensation and water.
Oh, ok.

Thanks for reply.

Then are there any other way for material to do it?

For example, usually if plastics, acrylic, and etc. are tightly, properly closed, they do give some protection against resistant to moisture or 100% guaranteed waterproof, right?

Why are you concerned about moisture or humidity for that matter? What is your plan? Do you plan on using dry ice or liquid nitrogen? You better have damn good knowledge of these products or the worry will be what harm you do to yourself. So what's the plan?

WZ

Why are you concerned about moisture or humidity for that matter? What is your plan? Do you plan on using dry ice or liquid nitrogen? You better have damn good knowledge of these products or the worry will be what harm you do to yourself. So what's the plan?

WZ

Sorry for late reply.

I went to skiing for several days.

You said why am i concerned about moisture or humidity?

Cause, I was going to use computer (my plan) in areas that has those moisture or humidity, for example, restroom/bathroom.

Sorry for late reply.

I went to skiing for several days.

You said why am i concerned about moisture or humidity?

Cause, I was going to use computer (my plan) in areas that has those moisture or humidity, for example, restroom/bathroom.

:facepalm:

Here's an idea...

dontdoit.jpg

Actually, Fujitsu-Siemens sell (industrial) PCs for those kind of environments....

Amazing really what they have to offer... you could be kneedeep in sawdust and yet no sliver to be found inside the case; likewise you could be upto your elbows in axle grease, yet the keyboard keeps working. They do cost *slightly* more as your ordinairy off the shelf office box thou. :D

Back