• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's 4P F@H build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got it. Took lots of pictures. Hand tapped the 6-32 thru-holes. CPUs put in. Last heatsink modified. All ready to take home.

Aaannnd....that will be it until tomorrow night. :(

This is the last day of my work's 'Biggest Loser' contest.
Saturday = 5 hours on the treadmill
Sunday = 4 hours on the treadmill
Today: I've already got in an hour before work, and I'm going to try and get 3 more tonight.
Tomorrow: One more hour before work.

I'm down about 30 pounds. Another pound our two and I should be just about guaranteed to win. The guy in first place hasn't lost more than 5 pounds in any one week, and 31 pounds would put me ahead of him if he loses 5 pounds this week.

So, no time to do anything but treadmill today. :(
Your a good inspiration for us!! ...Now I'm going to go lay on the couch before I get too motivated... ;)

48 cores should hold you for awhile after PG raises the bigadv threshold to 32 cores or more. I'm subscribed as I love these 4p builds. I eventually want to build a 4p as my ultimate workstation.

Well, won the contest, and dropped 12 pounds this week alone. 34 for the contest, and a total of 52 pounds down since I started losing weight.

Anyway, here are the pics.

20140113_1225321_zps52dc956c.jpg~original

20140113_1225491_zps0db3b417.jpg~original

20140113_1225581_zps18b96e99.jpg~original

20140113_1226071_zps13d30273.jpg~original

I'll have more pictures later. I'm pretty tired tonight, so I'll probably finish it up tomorrow.

Ugh I just drooled all over myself:drool::drool:

Now why did you tap the mounts? It looks like you have a larger screw your using? Or is that the tap itself. I don't remember the size of the screws that fit. I just threaded some bolts with cut off heads in. Thru away the springs and crap on the 212's and then used the center of the "Musky" bracket as the hold down. You have something creative you're doing?:popcorn:

Doing the hack stuff is by far my favorite part of the build....;)

Looks like the RAM Modules might be covered up by the edges of the HS/Fan, mine had to go in first. Thats how I usually do a build anyways though. Heck you should have this thing booted up tonight!! This would have been a great live feed!

Oh and Congrats on the contest and the weight loss...Your half the man I used to know!:clap:

For Goodness sakes set up a camera and share a Youtube with us!! :beer: We LOVE this stuff!!

Last edited:
Ugh I just drooled all over myself:drool::drool:

Now why did you tap the mounts? It looks like you have a larger screw your using? Or is that the tap itself. I don't remember the size of the screws that fit. I just threaded some bolts with cut off heads in. Thru away the springs and crap on the 212's and then used the center of the "Musky" bracket as the hold down. You have something creative you're doing?:popcorn:

Doing the hack stuff is by far my favorite part of the build....;)

The threads are 6-32, the standard 'English' thread used in computers (hard drives, motherboard stand-offs, etc...). I liked Musky's idea of being able to take the 2" screw and put it is from the back side of the board. So, since work at a machine shop, I grabbed a 6-32 tap and finished out the thread.

Btw, this board is MASSIVE!!! It can address a terabyte of RAM!

The threads are 6-32, the standard 'English' thread used in computers (hard drives, motherboard stand-offs, etc...). I liked Musky's idea of being able to take the 2" screw and put it is from the back side of the board. So, since work at a machine shop, I grabbed a 6-32 tap and finished out the thread.

Btw, this board is MASSIVE!!! It can address a terabyte of RAM!
Oh thats right that will work nice...I had a hard time keeping my screws all the same height. Plus you don't need to smooth out the cut off threads. I was concerned with a possible RMA. wasn't sure tapping the threads would create a warranty issue.

You got everything you need to boot it up tonight? I can pepper you with annoying questions all night...lol Your going with 12.04 LTS? When I wipe mine, I am just going to copy everything you do to get a decent OC. (If you don't mind) I'm still running 10 something.

Last edited:
Oh thats right that will work nice...I had a hard time keeping my screws all the same height. Plus you don't need to smooth out the cut off threads. I was concerned with a possible RMA. wasn't sure tapping the threads would create a warranty issue.

Well, I'm not too worried. Do it right, and about the only way you can tell anything was done is to thread a screw through it.

You got everything you need to boot it up tonight? I can pepper you with annoying questions all night...lol Your going with 12.04 LTS? When I wipe mine, I am just going to copy everything you do to get a decent OC. (If you don't mind) I'm still running 10 something.

I don't mind the questions, but I just finished taking off the SR-2 motherboard and watercooling. I'm not too happy with the cats right now. It looks like one of them walked across the board after I took out the x5675 to sell to my work and bent 2 pins in the socket. Now I'm going to have to test it with the CPU I have left in that socket to see if it will still work right. If not, I'll have to sell it as a 1P board. Though with those 7 PCI-E 16X slots, it will make a nice mining rig for someone, even with just one CPU.

I'll get started on setting it up with the new board tonight. I'm going to take the benching station to work tomorrow to blow the PSU out really well before setting up the new board.

Also, since I haven't done any builds recently, is the stuff that comes with the CM 212+ unit a better thermal paste than Ceramique?

I really don't know I have 3 or 4 different tubes and have never noticed a difference between them.

I used my artic silver up a while ago and just use the free stuff. If one CPU is hotter I just crank the pressure down on it. The manual lists the CPU's as 0,1,front 2,3 back and it seems Ubuntu reflects that in its listing of them. I could adjust the temps by pressure.

Other than that I applied the paste to the base of the hs rather than the CPU. I think its base is smaller than the CPU. So it saves paste.

Last edited:

Torin, congratulations on the weight loss, keep up the good work! Thanks for the mb pics, looks to be approximately 3/4 acre of pcb there.

-I lost 2 pounds just waiting for the pics to open on my Nexus 4. :D

Well, I was hoping a few of the mounting holes from the SR-2 would fit the new SuperMicro board, but I don't see any way I can match up more than 1 hole. :(

Oh well, time to get out the drill.

What ever happened to that build White hawk?

Looking at your stats it doesn't look like you are running the 4P.

You will soon enough :) I finished my schooling last week, I'm running Win 2012 right now to see what I can get out of it for about a week then I may put lunix on it.

Thanks for all those beautiful pics, Torin! It's like viewing the m/b with a magnifying glass. Well done on the weight loss, also.

Congrats on finishing your schooling, Whitehawk. With the threshold changes coming to BA, I'd put that 4P monstah to work, asap. BA program is set to end, January 31, 2015.
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=25598

Last edited:
Well, I'm finally going to be ready to fire it up tonight. I've got the [H] folding appliance image loaded on a hard drive (which actually took quite a bit less time than I expected).

The only think I'm worried about is I'm 1 stick of memory short.

As I understand it, it will work, but I'll take a performance hit until I get it filled.

I spent a good chuck of yesterday evening reading through the manual for the motherboard. I've got a few more pics, but my photobucket account is nearing bandwidth limits.

How long are you going to burn it in before OCing? What kind of memory did you use ...In case I have a module laying around? Lots of 2GB's laying around if thats what you went with.

How long are you going to burn it in before OCing? What kind of memory did you use ...In case I have a module laying around? Lots of 2GB's laying around if thats what you went with.

I figure I'll give it a week. I'm taking next Sunday off, so I'll have time to work on it then. I'll confirm with my wife, but you are welcome to come by.

I've got a mix of 2GB Corsair Dominators (blue and red) and some OCZ gold. I've got 6 of each style of Dominators, and 3 of the OCZ. The OCZ are shorter, so I was planning to have them in the slots under the fans. Everything is 1600 or better speed DDR3.

I figure I'll give it a week. I'm taking next Sunday off, so I'll have time to work on it then. I'll confirm with my wife, but you are welcome to come by.

I've got a mix of 2GB Corsair Dominators (blue and red) and some OCZ gold. I've got 6 of each style of Dominators, and 3 of the OCZ. The OCZ are shorter, so I was planning to have them in the slots under the fans. Everything is 1600 or better speed DDR3.
I'll dig out a 2GB module. Do you have enough room, if I bring my rig over. I can bring an LCD if needed. You'll have to let me know how the appliance is. I like having a little more control then that may offer. Tho I'll install it on a USB to try out...If it works OK. I may use it.

Last edited:
Let me tell you, it is a bit disconcerting when you turn a system on for the first time and while the fans spin up, you don't even get a blip on the monitor.

Then, after about 3-5 minutes of trying to figure out what is going on, you see that the video cable has fallen out of the back of the monitor.

:eek:

I'll dig out a 2GB module. Do you have enough room, if I bring my rig over. I can bring an LCD if needed. You'll have to let me know how the appliance is. I like having a little more control then that may offer. Tho I'll install it on a USB to try out...If it works OK. I may use it.

Sound like a plan. Wife says it is a go. And we should have the room. I may have to run an extension cord from one of the 20 amp outlets, but we should be good. LCD would be nice. I can pull an extra monitor free if you forget though.

Back