• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's 4P F@H build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are the photos:

And right before firing it up:

I know one of the fans is reversed. I've got it that way so that it doesn't hit the heat spreader on slot A1. When I get the shorter dimm to put in, I'll change the direction.

I do have to say that the folding appliance is VERY easy to setup and use. Took pretty much all the work out of it!

I did get a little worried when the system monitor only showed 32 CPUs, but I saw the F@H started up with 48 threads reported.

And now for the money shot!

Yes, that is 475K ppd!

:attn: :attn: :p :drool: :bday:

I hope you have some space between the mobo and the wood for some air circulation. Otherwise it might get very hot held against the wood.

I thought my benching station was big...
Looks like some nice hardware. I don't know how many years I folded to get the almost 2 million points that I acquired. = 4 days work for that rig!

It has been a long time since I did any folding, is that an o/s with fah built right in or do you do an o/s install?

I thought my benching station was big...
Looks like some nice hardware. I don't know how many years I folded to get the almost 2 million points that I acquired. = 4 days work for that rig!

It has been a long time since I did any folding, is that an o/s with fah built right in or do you do an o/s install?

Thanks!

I'm using the folding appliance that they built out of Ubuntu over at [H].

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1769083

Nice and easy to set up with good instructions.

Looks great Torin! Is it running as cool as it looks? 30C or less under load?

That bench is so big it makes the Mobo look normal size. :)

I haven't been able to find a temp monitor that is working for me. Any suggestions?

Also, the heat sinks only feel slightly above ambient.

Let me tell you, it is a bit disconcerting when you turn a system on for the first time and while the fans spin up, you don't even get a blip on the monitor.

Then, after about 3-5 minutes of trying to figure out what is going on, you see that the video cable has fallen out of the back of the monitor.

:eek:

:rofl::rofl:

I've been there.

Good temp monitor software for ubuntu: psensor
Make sure to install "lm-sensors" and "psensor" from synaptic / ubuntu software center / command line - whatever you like, it should work fine.
looks like this:
33d0d5db21a3.png

Last edited:
So, does anybody have any idea why my system would randomly shut down? And it won't turn back on until I unplug it for at least 15 seconds and wait for a blinking LED on it to turn off once the caps have discharged.

Random shutdowns are usually, overclocking, memory, and PS in that order.

Perhaps you should run memtest for 24 hours and make sure things are fine there.

Are you overclocking?

Is the PS new and up to the challenge?

So, does anybody have any idea why my system would randomly shut down? And it won't turn back on until I unplug it for at least 15 seconds and wait for a blinking LED on it to turn off once the caps have discharged.

I would say your over heating as my guess, here is a pic of my 4p temps:
4p.jpg

Granted I'm not doing any BA WU's at this time but still good temps.

Nope, no overclocking yet, though I have 1 memory slot that should be filled that isn't.

I installed the temp-monitor that Gabi linked to above, and while none of the temps say 'core', there are a set of them that I think are the CPUs and they aren't going above about 32°C.

The power supply is the same one I used for my SR-2, so it is 1KW. I've got all the 8pin power sockets filled on the MB.

Btw, it apparently rebooted last night. It was at the login prompt this morning.

I forgot about that, get that filled and see if it stops locking up or reboots

I've got a 4gig stick I can use. The rest are 2gig sticks. Would that help, or would it have to be a 2gig stick?

Dave was going to bring one over this next Sunday, but since we are going to be trying to overclock, I'd like to be sure I'm up and running before then. If it needs to be a 2gig stick, I'll be ordering the RAM today.

I've got a 4gig stick I can use. The rest are 2gig sticks. Would that help, or would it have to be a 2gig stick?

Dave was going to bring one over this next Sunday, but since we are going to be trying to overclock, I'd like to be sure I'm up and running before then. If it needs to be a 2gig stick, I'll be ordering the RAM today.

If all the other ram is 2GB each, then you need to use a 2GB stick, miss matched ram might make it worse. I'm not even sure what would happen if that was done and I'm not going to try (might make a black hole) :chair: :D
In dual or quad channel memory, all the mem sticks have to match.

Once you get it stable, your going to love it :)

Ok, I ordered 2 sticks of 2GB low profile RAM. They should be in tomorrow.

If you are using the H install, a temp monitor is built in there.
Just do.
sudo tpc -temp
It will ask for a password, put it in, hit enter.

It is part of the turon power control that was installed.

sudo tpc -clockspeed
That will give you the CPU speed.

That is for AMD, it will not work with an Intel cpu.

If you are using the H install, a temp monitor is built in there.
Just do.
sudo tpc -temp
It will ask for a password, put it in, hit enter.

It is part of the turon power control that was installed.

sudo tpc -clockspeed
That will give you the CPU speed.

That is for AMD, it will not work with an Intel cpu.

Thank you very much!

I'm currently running Memtest, and I notice it is only reporting 28GB when I've got 30GB installed. Looks it is a good thing I ordered 2 sticks of 2GB instead of 1.

I'll give Memtest an hour or so, then I'll start seeing if I can find the dead stick.

You're very welcome.
Try reseating the memory and or swap them around.

It should at least boot with one stick in each section. You may have to go that rout, one stick at a time.
Good luck.

Back