• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Started: What to mine, how to mine and where to mine (UPDATED 2021)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well well well! Another 550ti miner! :thup:

That's the card I used to start Litecoin mining! :D

Alright so you need a cudaminer .bat file here's my old one for my 550 ti:

cudaminer -i 0 -a scrypt -o Stratum+tcp://ltc.give-me-coins.com:3333 -O username:password

Change the stuff in pink with you username and password for you give-me-coin worker.

Then put that .bat in the same folder as cudaminer.

Run it and your mining! :thup:

How long before givemecoins shows I'm actually working?

Attachments

• cudaminer.JPG
    cudaminer.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 398
Its overclocked as far as I can seem to push it. Anymore causes DWM to restart, and throws errors like you wouldnt believe

Is the memory really at 5000 Mhz?!?!?!?!?!?

nevermind, your video card RAM is 4x speed.

Keep mining with your overclock, your doing fine. :)

Last edited:
his ram is 4x
guys think a new thread would be good for this ;)

I plugged some numbers into the coinwarz LTC calc using my old HD6850 and electricity costs of around 14 $/kWh and got just over a buck a day net. Sound about right?

I was considering upgrading my card for gaming anyway and could mine with the old one and the replacement. Two of my alternate rigs are AMD APUs (A8K Trinity and A6 tricore Llano). How do those do?

This could prompt me to put up that photovoltaic rig I've been considering. Subsidies and tax breaks pay for ~2/3 of those.

I plugged some numbers into the coinwarz LTC calc using my old HD6850 and electricity costs of around 14 $/kWh and got just over a buck a day net. Sound about right?

I was considering upgrading my card for gaming anyway and could mine with the old one and the replacement. Two of my alternate rigs are AMD APUs (A8K Trinity and A6 tricore Llano). How do those do?

This could prompt me to put up that photovoltaic rig I've been considering. Subsidies and tax breaks pay for ~2/3 of those.

I am mining using a 6850! :D

$1/day sounds low, I net ~$1.70 /day after power cost. ($0.11/Kw avg.)
But I OC'd it, 942 Core 1140 Mem @ 1.18 volts.

Going green.... I was doing the same, till my dad blew up my inverter :p
Still waiting on a new one, then I'll run my mining rig off battery power :thup:

Not sure on the preformance of AMD cpu's, I use Intel, and my i5-2300 nets $1/day now.

Found the integrated GPU charts at the bottom of the hardware comparison page:
My Ivy's HD4000 is rated for 17-18 kH/s and the APUs around 45 and 70 respectively. I have an Atom/Ion nettop with 16 Cuda cores I could throw in for laughs.

Found the integrated GPU charts at the bottom of the hardware comparison page:
My Ivy's HD4000 is rated for 17-18 kH/s and the APUs around 45 and 70 respectively. I have an Atom/Ion nettop with 16 Cuda cores I could throw in for laughs.

for laughs is probably all you'll get with that :-/

That 6850 of yours can get you started up though...

Great thread. Thanks from a learning "prospector". I just wanted to throw this out there in case someone cleans the thread but the posts between Luke and Silver are a really nice compliment to the first post on what to expect and steps in real time. It helped me understand just a little more of this crazy mining stuff.

Per popular demand I am expanding the last few steps of the how-to, mainly: trading crypto to fiat (USD, EUR, etc) and cashing out.
The exchanges mentioned earlier remain in effect, but we'll go into detail as to what they require to deposit/withdraw real life paper money and the fees associated with that.

• BTC-E, I have the most personal experience with this exchange, Ive hand an account with them since 2012 and its carried over perfectly, appreciated in this game. btc-e has very few requirements for opening an account, depositing and withdrawing any money, crypto or fiat, they dont ask for an id, bank account or credit cards; which is good, however the downside comes in fees and limited options for customers outside the Russian Federation (apparently btc-e is in Russia, btw dont let this make you think its unreliable, Ive had an account with them personally for over a year now and Ive found the exchange to be very steady and reliable).
    Ok, to the options, they have the following withdraw options:
    - Wiretransfer - 1.5% fee - $1000 Minimum withdraw
    - Paypal - 7% fee - $500 Minimum withdraw (this is a huge fee, I agree)

- Perfect Money - 0.5% fee -$10 Minimum withdraw
    - LiqPAY -1% fee -$100 Minimum withdraw
    - QIWI -3% fee -$1 Minimum withdraw
    - Epese.com -5% fee -$100 Minimum withdraw
    - Ecoin - 5% fee -$100 Minimum withdraw
    - OKpay - 0% fee - $1 Minimum withdraw
    - payeer -0% fee - $10 Minimum withdraw

These other options seem unknown to me and to most people here, so we will not recommend them. What I do recommend doing here is trading to bitcoin and extracting the bitcoin, btc-e is sadly no good for extracting USD/EUR

• Coinbase - the best BTC to USD for US residents. The exchange is stable, has been around for quite a bit and has reasonable options. AFAIK it requires a bank account to be linked in order to transfer funds, I do need more info on this though.

• Localbitcoins - this is my favorite option period. However BEWARE! this is not an exchange, this is a person to person sales site, the site basically connects buyers and sellers, but the rest is done between them, so selecting the right buyer and payment option for your bitcoins is VERY important. The site does provide both feedback and trade totals and verification options.
    Now if you pick this option I highly recommend you choose to either receive payment by Western Union or to meet the buyer face to face (its possible if the buyer is willing).

More soon, very soon

Cryptsy: https://www.cryptsy.com/

Need info on speed, account rules, and fees.

Mt-Gox: https://www.mtgox.com/

Very slow to pay out USD.
Need info on account rules and fees

Cryptsy: https://www.cryptsy.com/

Need info on speed, account rules, and fees.

Mt-Gox: https://www.mtgox.com/

Very slow to pay out USD.
Need info on account rules and fees

cryptsy trades a truckload of cryptos, mentioning the fees on each would be crazy, they are all different, withdraw fees that is
I will make a note of the trade fees
also note this was about cashing out, cant really cash out on cryptsy, no usd there

mtgox .. well I can try to google it, i dont know first hand and no one volunteered the info unfortunately

As this is a "getting started" thread, I think you may need to add a huge piece of information that's missing, eg pools. You mentioned it, but made no reference to resources.

As this is a "getting started" thread, I think you may need to add a huge piece of information that's missing, eg pools. You mentioned it, but made no reference to resources.

like a list of pools ? that would be nearly impossible and impractical

No need. My GPU Coins thread and ZL1's CPU coins thread lists the pools we mine one.

(Maybe sticky the GPU Coins thread for others to see the pools ZL1?)

I linked both your gpu thread and the auto-trader thread under "find a pool", that should help :)

Hard to list pools for every coin... especially in a guide without it being viewed as favoritism. Not really a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Of course...not trying to list every one. That's what wiki is for...but some general info is good. What to look for generally speaking. Being what I thought was more of a true startup guide, the thread reads more like an quick start, or almost rehash for someone that's already familiar with the whole thing. Not to mention there's a cluster f of documentation with the various mining apps out there (not anyone's fault here of course).

Back