• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Beastly Junkinator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!

J/K a bit, but I might if I was building the thing just for the WTF factor he he.

I'm just watching ATM, Go Man Go, at any rate.

:salute:

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I just got my hands on a new tool (thanks a lot, Giovanni!) and tomorrow I will be cutting and slashing up the case!
I sense an update coming up in the next few days ;)

Do NOT make it green and black... I will literally steal it from you

0srx.jpg

so yeah +1 on green and black :D

UPDATE

Bad news... the tool is not suited for the job.
Another friend will give me a Dremel, this time I'm sure I will be able to work with it!
I will probably have it by Wednesday and finally start cutting!

First and foremost, welcome to OCFs! :salute:

Interesting to say the least. I than realized I was tilted at such an angle in my seat that the vintage or "old school" case with the story line gravitated me almost off my chair. I say let the man continue his voyage. It feels like I watching a story line unfold with determination and a mix of Macgyver. Please keep going, nothing to read here! :popcorn:

First and foremost, welcome to OCFs! :salute:

Interesting to say the least. I than realized I was tilted at such an angle in my seat that the vintage or "old school" case with the story line gravitated me almost off my chair. I say let the man continue his voyage. It feels like I watching a story line unfold with determination and a mix of Macgyver. Please keep going, nothing to read here! :popcorn:

Thanks, I am glad you're enjoying your reading!
I just received all the hardware, I'm going to make a fairly big update with lots of pictures soon enough.
Next week I hope to have a Dremel, so I can get back to building :)

Hardware presentation

The hardware is all here, it took me a while to take and upload the photos, but now everything is ready.

This update will be a kind of unboxing of the whole configuration; I've never had the occasion to open up new hardware boxes, so, maybe, I have taken too many pictures, but I'd like to show everything because, to me, it was an exciting moment!

Here's everything I will be assembling.

I started off with the smaller packages, leaving the most nutritious ones last :D

SSD Kingston SSDNOW v300 60GB

base model, up to 450MB/s in sequential reading and writing. It looks perfect to me, seeing the slowness at which I'm used to!

Unboxed the box, here's the content:
Manual, an adhesive thickener so it may have the same height as a 2.5" HDD, and the SSD.

RAM Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz

Classical Corsair RAM memories,Vengeance series, low profile, 1600MHz and CL 9.

Nice "doored" box!

Here's the content of the package:
Warranty, cardboard to keep them locked in place, and individually packed RAMs.

CPU AMD FX-8350 8-core 4GHz 16MB cache socket AM3+

I read very well about this processor, perfect quality/price ratio, I hope it behaves well!

Package content:
Installation manual, Cooler Master branded 4 heatpiped heatsink, and CPu plus a sticker.

Video card Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB GDDR5

I always liked Sapphires and I had no problems with them, so, why not getting another Sapphire?

Content:
Manual and various information, drivers CD, packaging material, Molex-PCI-e power adapters, and the video card.

Long about 28 cms, as you can see.

Power supply Antec CP-1000 80+

I perfectly acknowledge the fact that 1000W are an exaggeration for my actual system, but I got it thanks to an offer, for that price, I could not get something better. Reviewers say good things about it, and so I have a lot of room for future upgrades.

Content:
Packaging material, manual, cables, and PSU.

This creature is simply massive. CPX format, proprietary Antec format to fit 3 of their cases. Or any other case big enough and available for cutting to fit it in.

How big is it? The fan measures 120mm, it weighs 3.2 kilograms, it's 17cms wide and 20cms long.
Here it is next to a standard ATX format PSU.

And now, the piece I most expected, the...

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Amazing motherboard, The Ultimate Forse series from amazing Asus! Too many details to write here, the post is already long.
AM3+ socket, 8+2 phases, Quad-SLI/Quad-CrossFireX support, front panel USB 3.0 connector, 8 total SATA ports, CeraM!X heatsinks coating, I think it brews ale, UEFI BIOS, Thermal Radar, PCI and PCI-ex1 connectors, a load of back panel connector, including 4 USB 3.0 and 2 eSATA ports, 4 chassis fan connectors + 2 CPU fan connectors, a whole lot of other stuff I will probably never use, everything accompained by military standards and a 5 year warranty!

What else would you like?

The screws to mount it, because they are not included.

Content:
Manuals, warranty, various information, a TUF sticker, drivers and software CD (including CPU-Z TUF Edition!), military standard certification, 4 SATA cables (2 straight and two 90° connectors, thanks Asus!), back panel shield, SLI bridge, quick USB and front panel connectors, and the motherboard.

Here you can notice the irregular surface of the ceramic coating.

It's a beauty. The scent that came out of the box was extasizing, I took my time admiring every detail and, before going to sleep, I read some of the manual, which feels like a novel.

In the next post, the temporary installation! I couldn't leave everything sitting there, the components were craving to be installed!

Last edited:
Jealousy flows through my veins thicker than mud...

Think ahead. Save money on everything you can, sell stuff you don't use, it took me two years to get the budget I needed for this, but it is well worth the wait!

Back