• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Beastly Junkinator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Temporary setup

As I already said, I couldn't leave everything laying there, I had to assemble it somehow!

I recovered an old computer, it was under the rain for days, the hardware was obsolete, and the plastics and the panels were destroyed; I only kept the frame.

(I took the picture in a hurry, it's not even focused...)

The amazing thing about this case, that infact convinced me to keep the frame, is that its bays are modular.
5.25" and top 3.5" bays can be extracted much like a drawer, while the HDDs bay can be pulled outwards laterally.

As I was already in the mood, I painted the DVD writer and the card reader black.

Once the case has been cleaned, the assembling shall begin!

First thing, back panel installation.

Now it's time for the motherboard, I won't tell you about the anxiety I had trying not to scratch it and to fit it in the right place :D

Perfect!

CPU installation, with added worries about the pins and correct orientation.

And heatsink installation, much easier than the 775 Intel socket I was used to.

Ram installation, on one side, the module just snaps in, on the other, there is the classical lever.

DVD unit and HDD installation. In the picture, there are 2 HDDs, I then remembered I forgot about the SSD...

Video card. I had to cut a little metal part which didn't allow the installation of double-slot cards, nothing to worry about.

A fan just because I like them.

I was forgetting about the front panel, so i recovered one from an old PC, they are just a couple of momentary switches and a couple of LEDs. Simplified connector, very practical solution.

Great! Inside the case, everything is in place. I say inside of it, because the PSU can't fit inside.
There is only one solution, I hope cable management fans' eyes won't catch on fire.

Completed temporary desk!

I also installed a front audio panel, as I use headphones and the cable is not long enough.

Powering test, and...
Perfect! Great relieving.
I had never seen such a BIOS, I am used to classical blue and white ones :D

I ran some tests, everything works as expected.

The day after building everything, the postman brought a pack with him, in which there were...

...20 meters of green LEDs! The stock will last a while, and it will "green up" half of the house :)
I love green, just in case you didn't get it :D

I couldn't avoid to test some in the case! I cut a 25cms (15 LEDs) strip, and I sticked it on the horizontal support. I linked the pre-soldered cables to an old cut Molex.

I think they are astonishing, the green is much more full and intese than how the pictures show it.
Completely satisfied!

See you next update!

Last edited:
It's coming along. Can't wait to see more.

Not to crash the party but will you be using fan filters? Noticed your fan up top didn't have one. Dust will impede heat transfer and performance after a while.

It's coming along. Can't wait to see more.

Not to crash the party but will you be using fan filters? Noticed your fan up top didn't have one. Dust will impede heat transfer and performance after a while.

Thanks, this is not the case I'm modding, I just wanted to use the new hardware and stuck (most of) it in here, so I just left everything bare.
I will not use filters, but I will use a metal mesh. I will probably invent something to act as a filter if I get the idea :)

Looking nice, I'm going to be kinda doing a mini old school version next weekend with my old 920.

The HAF 912 and several things arrived today, still waiting on the old P6T V2 I scarfed off e-bay to arrive.

I'm going to go a bit medieval on that thing myself as far as a few things just for a wireless HTPC in the bedroom.

And yeah I love those C form Antec PSUs myself, have been with this one awhile now.

Looking good !!!!!!!

*edit* Still think yeah need Hot Pink on the Interior he he.

J/K

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Gotta paint that rainy-day-gray monstrosity!

Looks cool, though. I always like case mods where the components aren't top-notch (although the 16Gigs and 1000 watts might turn that side of the project off) because I have the same situation.

Good work!

Looking nice, I'm going to be kinda doing a mini old school version next weekend with my old 920.

The HAF 912 and several things arrived today, still waiting on the old P6T V2 I scarfed off e-bay to arrive.

I'm going to go a bit medieval on that thing myself as far as a few things just for a wireless HTPC in the bedroom.

And yeah I love those C form Antec PSUs myself, have been with this one awhile now.

Looking good !!!!!!!

*edit* Still think yeah need Hot Pink on the Interior he he.

J/K

:popcorn:

Thanks!
Go real medieval, make it look like an armor! That would be fun.
Enjoy you building :)

I think I will paint it light brown with pink dots on the outside, and bright yellow and white on the inside :shock:

Gotta paint that rainy-day-gray monstrosity!

Looks cool, though. I always like case mods where the components aren't top-notch (although the 16Gigs and 1000 watts might turn that side of the project off) because I have the same situation.

Good work!

Thanks!
This small case is just the temporary one, so I will stick with dead rat colour :)
The big one will get a full body paintjob!

Don't let the 16GBs and 1KW fool you, I got the PSU on super offer, I couldn't get any better, and I paid the 16GBs as much as I'd have paid 8GBs so... hehe I was really lucky!

Where did you get that huge LED strip? :shock:

I simply searched for LED strips on eBay and bought 20 meters of the cheapest I found :D

Thanks!
Go real medieval, make it look like an armor! That would be fun.
Enjoy you building :)

I think I will paint it light brown with pink dots on the outside, and bright yellow and white on the inside :shock:

Thanks!
This small case is just the temporary one, so I will stick with dead rat colour :)
The big one will get a full body paintjob!

Don't let the 16GBs and 1KW fool you, I got the PSU on super offer, I couldn't get any better, and I paid the 16GBs as much as I'd have paid 8GBs so... hehe I was really lucky!

I think I lucked ou on the P6T V2m that thing came in looking straight out of the factory with all the goodies included.

Was like a brand new board from the looks of it, the HAF is an stock grey inside but no windows on it so I'm not too worried about the interior on the thing.

I'll stop teasing about the hot pink, I was seriously thinking about doing it myself on this one just to do it.

I still want to see this set up, you're looking good man.

:thup:

I think I lucked ou on the P6T V2m that thing came in looking straight out of the factory with all the goodies included.

Was like a brand new board from the looks of it, the HAF is an stock grey inside but no windows on it so I'm not too worried about the interior on the thing.

I'll stop teasing about the hot pink, I was seriously thinking about doing it myself on this one just to do it.

I still want to see this set up, you're looking good man.

:thup:

Thanks, have fun on your rig :)

I started Dremel cutting yesterday, I will continue today and during the weekend!

It's going pretty well atm, was worried a bit when I finally took the MOBO out at first thought I saw a few slightly bent pins on the socket but everything seems fine.

have it up here on the left side of the desk and the big boy on the right and three keyboards hooked up atm, wanted to try the new little wireless HTPC keyboard out.

I was just happy when I got everything installed and it booted and installed windows on the new rig, I was a bit worried about the pins even though the thing arrived looking pristine.

All this stuff on the desk stacked up about feel like could be driving a Nuclear sub almost he he.

Yours looks hotter, can't wait to see the end results.

It's going pretty well atm, was worried a bit when I finally took the MOBO out at first thought I saw a few slightly bent pins on the socket but everything seems fine.

have it up here on the left side of the desk and the big boy on the right and three keyboards hooked up atm, wanted to try the new little wireless HTPC keyboard out.

I was just happy when I got everything installed and it booted and installed windows on the new rig, I was a bit worried about the pins even though the thing arrived looking pristine.

All this stuff on the desk stacked up about feel like could be driving a Nuclear sub almost he he.

Yours looks hotter, can't wait to see the end results.

It's always a relief when everything works as expected :)
Tomorrow I will be working a lot, I bought 50 Dremel blades and I'm ready to destroy everything in sight... I mean, mod the hell out of the case!

Even just from what I've seen so far, I can tell this project is gonna be worth while! With a little work those old cases can be sweet! At least that one is ATX and has a door... I think excessive sun or cigarette smoke got to it.

My current system resides in a beige box. Wooden box at the bottom to house my radiator and fan. This was an old PC I took home from work, but is just as spacious as most cheap gamer cases.

Even just from what I've seen so far, I can tell this project is gonna be worth while! With a little work those old cases can be sweet! At least that one is ATX and has a door... I think excessive sun or cigarette smoke got to it.

My current system resides in a beige box. Wooden box at the bottom to house my radiator and fan. This was an old PC I took home from work, but is just as spacious as most cheap gamer cases.

Thanks!
Your case looks a bit bad, but hey, if it works, it's worth it!

Now I'm tempted as well...

To quote Marlon Brando "The horror......"

Just kidding a bit.

:shock:

Air vents and PSU opening

I'm finally back with a new update!

With a Dremel (thanks a lot, Luca!) it's a lot easier to work.

I took various measurementes and marked where to cut for the fan vents.

I also marked where to cut for the PSU to fit in, It's a big beast!

Screwholes test.

Perfect match!

Anterior fans now.

And here the holes are precise enough as well.

Let's start cutting now :)

here's the Dremel...

... and the safety equipment.

After a fair amount of time, a lot of powedered metal, and a lot of blades later, here's the partial result on the back panel (I didn't take many picutres of the cuts because I was too focused and I forgot about it... and they are just cuts, I mean, not much to see!)

Being this the first time I handled a Dremel, I feel like I got it all right, or it is simply very easy to use.

Some finishing...

... and the back is complete!

Now let's cut the front panel:

Cut and filed! It looks much better than the pictures show.

I needed some fan guards, but I don't have any 80mm ones.

A wire mesh would be good, but, where to find it? Bike basket!

Easy to cut with a pair of scissors:

They are kind of difficult to mount, the basket was curved, and so is the mesh. I'll have to use a bench vise and some strength to straighten it.

Here's how they look so far, I'll remake them:

That's all for this update, in the next one, more cuts! For cable management, this time :)

Last edited:
Back