• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Beastly Junkinator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SussoGobbino

Registered
Good day everyone, I'm a new member on this forum, so here's a brief introduction;
I've always liked computers, but only since a few months ago I started getting really interested in them.
I followed a Hardware Technician course, on which exam I got maximum score, and I will shortly follow notebook and console courses as well.
My current computer is getting old, so I decided to build a new rig.
I thought about using my old computer case, above all because of funds limitation, until I found a beauty at the junkyard.
It's the perfect occasion to free my imagination and see what I can do; even if this i the first PC I build, I'm aiming high by trying to mod the creature I will soon show you.

This is the list of the components I bought, thanks to various offers and promotions:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Video card: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600MHz CL9
SSD: Kingston v300 60GB
Power supply: Antec CP-1000

Recycled components from other computers:

DVD rewriter
Card reader
HDDs: 1x500GB WD + 1x160GB Seagate

It is now time to show you the case:

Terrific, isn't it?
No. Or, better yet, yes. Anyway, it needs a new look.

The name of the mod comes after the fact that this case is enormous, and that, to mod it, I will use materials recovered from the junkyard, or destined to be thrown away, as far as it is possible.

The work has already started, but they are going on slowly, above all because I do not have the right tools.
I will try to constantly update, hoping not to be surprised by unexpected problems.

I will appreciate suggestions and opinions, do not hesitate to ask questions!

Have a good reading :)

Last edited:
WHYYYY!!!!!???!?!??!
why cant i find one of these cases ive been looking forever!!

Awesome I love it, can't wait to see the build. How tall is that case btw it looks huge!

Awesome I love it, can't wait to see the build. How tall is that case btw it looks huge!

A little update with the presentation of the case is coming soon.
The case is more than 60 centimeters tall, it barely fits under my desk!

Case presentation

I'll start off by presenting the case, as it was when i got it.

I was at the junkyard, and a lady comes and asks where to throw it. The answer was simple, in the trunk of my car!

I like the front door, I'd like to keep it, but if the interior comes out nicely, I might as well remove it. It's an Olidata Toraton, I haven't found much information about it, but it is a server / workstation case.

Here's how it was inside, sincerly, I expected to find less air and more substance, considering the massive weight:

And here's what was hiding beneath the heatsink!

I start dismantling everything.

The case is divided in two comparments, the lower one for the motherboard and 3 hard disks + a floppy / card reader, the upper one houses the power supply and 6 optical units.

The motherboard was mounted on this nice tray, which can support various formats. The expansion slots panel has 7 slots, perfect for an ATX motheboard.

Here are some more pics of the monster.

Last edited:
I thought this case looked familiar, my very first home server that I built for myself was in a case very similar to this one, just had a different front bezel. I wound up JB Welding drive cages from other cases into this one. I don't even remember what I ever did with this case.

I thought this case looked familiar, my very first home server that I built for myself was in a case very similar to this one, just had a different front bezel. I wound up JB Welding drive cages from other cases into this one. I don't even remember what I ever did with this case.

These cases seem to be somewhat rare nowadays, if I were you, I'd recover and save it :)

Side panel

Most of the cases have the classic slide and screw side panel, so dows this one.
To make it more peculiar, nice and handy, I though about adding a long hinge and transform it into a door.

First of all, I removed the metal hooks and supports that hooked into the case, so that it could be removed without the need to slide it backwards. It was easy, I just grabbed them with a pair of pliers, and bent them a number of times, some hammering made the broken joints flat.

To allow for the installation of the hinge, I have to rotate the panel by 180° degrees, so that the "L" profile isn't located in the back.

The first problem I encountered, was that the "L" part covered the rivets and the holes, needed to hold the front panel in place.

I solved this by making several notches along the profile, an extremely tiring job, using a drill and a lot of hand filing to achieve the correct shape.

A long time ago, I scavenged this hinge from a kitchen fan hood, knowing that it would have been useful, sooner or later.

It looks like it was made for it, the length is perfect :D

Here's how it looks when it's mounted.

I had to make holes in the frame, for the rivets to fit in, or it wouldn't close.

See you next update :)

Last edited:
Side panel: part 2

Here's the update of the work on the side panel.

It's not nice to close the hardware in a big dark box without the possibility to see it, so I have to make a window on the panel-
What am I saying, the case is big enough, two windows.
Better yet, three.

I started off marking the contours of the frame on the panels, and I took measures that seemed adequate for 3 windows.

I used a jigsaw, making holes with a drill to allow for the blade to fit.

Windows cut! It looks easy, but I spent 5 hours of pain and sweat on it.
The various irregularities, bottom left above all, have been fixed by hammering the panel between two steel blocks.

Now the holes for the hinge, which will be riveted.

Hinge set.

Here's how it looks when it's mounted.
The other part of the hinge is bolted on the back of the frame, this allow for a wider than 180° movement.

The "L" profile fits well when it's close, but I'll probably add some magnets to keep it well shut.

I noticed that opening tha panel was a bit difficult, so I made a handle.

A simple steel pipe, two holes and two nuts and bolts.

Now, I sure can't leave 3 giant open holes in the panel, I'd need some plexiglass. However, I was shocked when I found out how much it costs, and the panes I recovered from an aquarium are all scratched.
There is only one solution, sacrifying some art, in the name of other art!
Sorry, Mr. Gogh.

Glass extracted, I measured and cut.

Not bad for a first time, I had never cut glass and was afraid it would become a bloody mess.
To file the sharp glass, I used a wet sharpening stone, it's been very effective and now it is all smooth, handlable with no risks.

I'll fix them when it's all done, probably with some fine double sided tape.

See you next update!

Last edited:
Stary stary night he he.

Nice grab on that case to begin with, most people don't realize what they are throwing away half the time I guess.

I have a couple ugly ones still laying around I ought to get rid of that are small old ones, guess I oughta.

lol. this is a like a dream case!

Indeed it is, I was so happy I found it!

Stary stary night he he.

Nice grab on that case to begin with, most people don't realize what they are throwing away half the time I guess.

I have a couple ugly ones still laying around I ought to get rid of that are small old ones, guess I oughta.

Thanks, I have seen incredible stuff thrown away, I guess people just don't care at all.
I also scavenged a nice desktop computer, it could be a nice modding project for the future years :)

BTW, nice PSU hehe.

My god I want that case... I see countless options with that thing haha.

Looking forward to this :D

My god I want that case... I see countless options with that thing haha.

Looking forward to this :D

Hehe thanks, keep an eye out for computers at your local junkyard, that's where I got this, you never know what's gonna pop up!

How are you keeping the side panel shut now?

When I close it, the "L" profile on the front gets stuck between the frame and the front cover. If that will prove not enough to keep it shut, I will use a couple of magnets :)

okay... dont stop now.. im just getting into this..

Not stopping, I have more material to show, and I'm close to getting my hands on a tool that will allow me to make some progress :)

I am following this one with much anticipation

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!

When I close it, the "L" profile on the front gets stuck between the frame and the front cover. If that will prove not enough to keep it shut, I will use a couple of magnets :)

I totally didn't even see that part you wrote, sorry!

Back