• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 gpus using risers - sabertooth z87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This has probably already been mentioned but I tried 3 way sli on my Z77 thunderbolt Asus, and though the cards were recognize, they would not sli due to the power of the 4x slot. So how on earth do you manage to get 6 gpus on pcie slots that don't have enough power? How do you sli 6 gpu's? How many power supplies? And why not a motherboard that can handle 4 cards at 8x and start there? Sorry for so many questions, but I am a curious MF right now

This has probably already been mentioned but I tried 3 way sli on my Z77 thunderbolt Asus, and though the cards were recognize, they would not sli due to the power of the 4x slot. So how on earth do you manage to get 6 gpus on pcie slots that don't have enough power? How do you sli 6 gpu's? How many power supplies? And why not a motherboard that can handle 4 cards at 8x and start there? Sorry for so many questions, but I am a curious MF right now

Very simple.

First off, hes not looking to Sli anything, hes using AMD cards, apart from that, hes not looking to crossfire anything.

He is building a mining rig (Bitcoin, litecoin and so on) He only needs one GPU to run as anything above 1x slots in theory. As that is enough to make them work.

That said, i doubt its a power issue, as that would have fried the motherboard already.

The issue is getting windows to see all 6 connect GPU's. This is NOT for gaming, not looking for any sort of perforamance, just looking to a working GPU to show up on the system.

That said Ivan, timesavage did make me think twice about this.

As i found out, the Z chip sets are down right useless for mining, as they tend to max out at around 3/4 pci lanes, it may have more, but they are blocked off due to small amount of lanes, and being that they are gaming boards for the most part, they tend to just be 3/4, i think you are, like myself a victim of not enough PCI lanes.

I can make my Gigabyte board run 3 gpus, it doeesnt care how i plug the, I got 2 of them running pci-e 1x and one in pci-e 8x, the board has picked out the GPU connectec to the second PCI-e to be the main card. No idea why?

But i do think its the motherboard holding you back.

As i found out, the Z chip sets are down right useless for mining, as they tend to max out at around 3/4 pci lanes, it may have more, but they are blocked off due to small amount of lanes, and being that they are gaming boards for the most part, they tend to just be 3/4, i think you are, like myself a victim of not enough PCI lanes.

I can make my Gigabyte board run 3 gpus, it doeesnt care how i plug the, I got 2 of them running pci-e 1x and one in pci-e 8x, the board has picked out the GPU connectec to the second PCI-e to be the main card. No idea why?

But i do think its the motherboard holding you back.
This was my thinking (see above).

Most guys I know who own big farms use z77 and 3 gpus per rig only. Seems more practical...
I got an extra board today, Asus sabertooth 990fx, and an fx 6300 paired with a 4gb 1333mhz stick. I'll run 3 and 3 and call it day (if I get the sabertooth to see 3 gpus again, it's acting out and won't show the 3rd one now!!! argh)

I used a GA-MA790FXT board when I had my farm running and had 5 gpu's on 1x risers. I just had to short the sense pins on all of the pci-e slots and everything worked fine. MY advice would be to short the sense pins, and then run Windows 7 with a driver that allows all of the cards to be seen. I think I was on like 12.11 or something when I was mining.

The investors didn't want me shorting pins to get it to work and instead bought me a Sabertooth 990fx, an fx6300 and a 4gb stick. We already had two 850w psus, so now we got two rigs.
One running bamt and one running Win 8 (soon to be a debian full install, 64 bit os with cpu mining programs and whatnot).
Teamviewer works like a charm if you don't have port forwarding set up or a fixed ip.

Yeah definitely, having to fiddle so much with port forward and whatnot is NOT my thing.

I'll have to manage 20 3 gpu rigs in a couple of months, I wouldn't want to use a 32 bit os, nor something so troublesome as BAMT. I know big farm dudes love it, but I'm not a linux kinda guy in general and I can't afford so much down time for random reasons.

Say a new mining program comes out or a new coin that uses a different program, download binaries and run the thing, vs having to compile it from scratch (most times having trouble with it).

It does give you the advantage of having it early but I won't be doing the whole mine the newest thing NOW, I'll be going for something stable and dependable, can't risk instability or possibly infected wallet binaries when you run a 120 gpu and 20 cpu farm.

(and btw, wallets will be cold, not in the mining rigs ofc...I'll set up a wallet server for cold storage of BTC, PTS and LTC)

I agree. It's way easier (IMO), to grab the binaries, copy a .conf file to the new directory and then resume mining that to recompile a whole new application. Especially when you are managing that many rigs. Just copy/paste the new binaries. :thup:

You can also use cgremote, paired with cgwatcher...problem is you need port forwarding (at least with cgwatcher only).

Then there's also google chrome remote desktop and the infalible RDP that comes with Windows, but it also needs port forward or fixed ip.

Back