• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Upgrade Choices From 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avulsion

Registered
Evening all!

So, I have recently started pouring a little more money into my rig and am in need of some advice. Most recently, I have upgraded my mobo to a Extreme4 in preparation for SLI. The rig is used mainly for gaming and some school work, no video editing or anything too demanding.

My current CPU is the good 'ol 3570k clocked to 4.5, and it performs flawlessly (minus the ridiculous temps under load). With an idea of SLI in mind, I sorta-kinda wonder if I should upgrade my CPU to help enhance the beauty of my soon-to-be GTX 770 4gb SLI.

My socket is 1155 and I have been looking at a i7-2600k and the delicious i7-3770k. Of these two, which would you all recommend for the upgrade? Or is the upgrade completely unnecessary and I am better off with my current CPU?

Thinkin of also makin the jump from my H60 to a Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk. I am not too pleased with the cooling performance of the H60 and hope that whatever the final choice is, the Xigma DKII can handle

Evening all!

So, I have recently started pouring a little more money into my rig and am in need of some advice. Most recently, I have upgraded my mobo to a Extreme4 in preparation for SLI. The rig is used mainly for gaming and some school work, no video editing or anything too demanding.

My current CPU is the good 'ol 3570k clocked to 4.5, and it performs flawlessly (minus the ridiculous temps under load). With an idea of SLI in mind, I sorta-kinda wonder if I should upgrade my CPU to help enhance the beauty of my soon-to-be GTX 770 4gb SLI.

My socket is 1155 and I have been looking at a i7-2600k and the delicious i7-3770k. Of these two, which would you all recommend for the upgrade? Or is the upgrade completely unnecessary and I am better off with my current CPU?

Thinkin of also makin the jump from my H60 to a Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk. I am not too pleased with the cooling performance of the H60 and hope that whatever the final choice is, the Xigma DKII can handle

Just get a Noctua NHD14 or a Phanteks TCP14HC178BC3 or whatever it's called. The Phanteks with 2 towers and 2 140mm fans.

No need to change CPUs. You won't see a performance difference.

I would keep the 3570k since I saw a review where a 2500k was running two 780's without a problem. I would recommend spending some money on a good cooler to keep the load temps down since a sli setup will stress the cpu a little more.

The 2600K would be a step backwards in architecture. The 3770K is the same thing with Hyper Threading.

A lot of times we upgrade because we want to more than need to.

Looking at your sig, I bet a pair of SSD's in raid 0 would make your system killer asz fast.

My 2 cents.

The 2600K would be a step backwards in architecture. The 3770K is the same thing with Hyper Threading.

A lot of times we upgrade because we want to more than need to.

Looking at your sig, I bet a pair of SSD's in raid 0 would make your system killer asz fast.

My 2 cents.

Its impossible to see the difference during normal use between sata II and sata III ssd's unless you benchmark them, how will ssd in raid 0 help him, especially in gaming?:confused:

Its impossible to see the difference during normal use between sata II and sata III ssd's unless you benchmark them, how will ssd in raid 0 help him, especially in gaming?:confused:

His sig. "HDD: WD Black"

Well, load times are ultra fast. Basically there are no load times.

Have you ever experienced SSD's in raid 0 first hand? Makes even the oldest rigs fast again. After all, back in the day most of the actual waiting was on the WD HDD's any ways ;)

Have you ever experienced SSD's in raid 0 first hand? Makes even the oldest rigs fast again. After all, back in the day most of the actual waiting was on the WD HDD's any ways ;)

load times?

I remember playing Bf3 on my old rig that had a HDD and it would take over a minute to a map. I decided that was entirely to long and bought a SSD which cut my load times in half. On my current system I'm always the first to spawn in and pick the first vehicle with my raid 0 setup.

He's using
HDD: WD Black

SSD raid 0 = what's a load time?

Windows load time? What's that?

PCMark Scores? Low on Spinners?

Lots of good uses for SSD's raid 0. I figured gaming was just one of them?? We are in a PC overclockers forum where people tend to upgrade for fast faster or fastest right?

Yes he should totally get an ssd, but raid 0:rolleyes:? come on, a good sata III ssd like samsung 840, m. chronos, c. force gt or c. m4 will be instant and raid0 would be a complete overkill, now that ssd are cheaper people dont need to buy low capacity ssd and raid them to get decent size OS drive, but that was the major reason why people would run ssd's in raid 0 and not higher speeds.

Oh my, more feedback than I thought I'd get lol much appreciated though! Indeed, an SSD will be installed shortly. When I installed the Black for my games, I noticed it slightly improved my load times for BF4 compared to the old drive it was on. I will likely install an 840 or 2 in the very near future. I had just been debating the CPU upgrade for a little while and wanted to see if it was even worth it to move forward on

I agree with people saying get a better cooler. That's CPU is fine for now. H60 are really not any better than really solid air coolers and some might even cool it better. I moved from an H60 to an H110 and saw some really nice drops. H60 just not nuff cooling.

I also got a Kinston Hyper X and I love the thing. I don't think there is a single upgrade that will give you a better feeling of having a "fast computer" than a really fast SSD drive. Everything is almost instant with loading windows, files, ect. Games are so much faster as well. Def recommend!

And here I thought people would help to feed the addiction with responses like "of course you should go with the 3770k! matter of fact get 2 of em and duct tape em together for much more betterer OC's" :rofl: but thanks all for the sound advice. It's good to hear that I've built a decent rig and just need smaller items to polish it off. Alice is one hungry beast and I want to give her all she deserves :thup:

Stick with your current chip and get a better cooler as stated. For a performance boost get an SSD and use your current HDD as storage.

I was having the "upgrade itch" and was contemplating something better than my 3570k, but looking at everything over again decided my system is still a beast and handles everything I throw at it and more. Still plenty of mileage left ;)

Alright, so I caved in today...went to my local parts shop and could not turn down a brand new 3770k, at $110 off normal price. Easily cranked it to 4.6 with minimal effort. Thermals seem to actually be better than my 3570k. Getting ready to run some benchmarks and see what she can do ^_^ oh, and I picked up a 120gb Hyper X SSD for $90 today too hehehe

Last edited:
Alright, so I caved in today...went to my local parts shop and could not turn down a brand new 3770k, at $110 off normal price. Easily cranked it to 4.6 with minimal effort. Thermals seem to actually be better than my 3570k. Getting ready to run some benchmarks and see what she can do ^_^ oh, and I picked up a 120gb Hyper X SSD for $90 today too hehehe

I was about to be like :bang head until I read you picked up an SSD :attn:

That was actually my purpose of going there. ...and then I saw the 3770k :drool: on sale and it was all over with lol thanks all for the advice anyway. I honestly wouldn't have gotten the chip if it wasnt on sale. never know when you can snag it for $249 again :thup:

Back