• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking mining rigs, out puts, setup and others.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I wanted to make this thread, as I for one, miss our old all in one Bitcoin thread, and also it seems we are getting off tipoc in such threads as the Mining Rig Pictures.

I for one, love getting off topic, as i think its on topic, as long as it has interest.

Of course i still want to stay within the topic of Cryptocurrency (This is not a place for My Little Pony talk:D), but i want to to be a thread where we can talk about how the GPU is setup, or how much we sold our coins for, how much hash rate how system has,hardware, software, the old Bitcoin thread basically, for stuff that dont need its own thread, fast questions, and general talk.

I will start out with..

Hurray, should be picking up my 2x 6970 and 2x 6870 today, should also be getting a Celeron cpu, so i can setup rig number 2.

well, i just had a chat with ASUS live support.
they said that the anti-tamper screw on my videocard heatsink doesnt mean anything when it comes to warranty, they just base that on the serial number, so it looks like the heatsink is coming off, and its time to throw a waterblock on this *****!
probably just going to try running the included LN2 heatsink for the memory and VRM, and my mcw82 for the gpu core!
that means i have room for another GPU in my rig!

id be weary of that, those stickers are there for a reason and if you get a bad customer service rep, they may use it as an excuse not to rma your card if something

id be weary of that, those stickers are there for a reason and if you get a bad customer service rep, they may use it as an excuse not to rma your card if something

even if i have proof of a chat with ASUS Live chat where they said it doesnt matter if there is not a sticker on it, the warranty is solely based on the serial number of the card?
if i remove this heatsink, I wont be leaving a wrecked sticker on the thing, the sticker will be totally removed off that damned screw.

well thats just my 2cent, i know how these reps can be at times
but the chances are no one will even bother to look if there is a sticker :)

cause the temps of this card are really way higher than i would like (83 C with 100% from both fans, they arent as noisy as say, my running xbox, but noisier than my 13 case fans!(100mm gpu fans are a brilliant idea, compared to the smaller noisier fans))
in my experience with other gpu's i would think this card would probably drop to around 40-50C if i put a block on it.

yap, that sure is hot, i have a 7870 sitting right next to a 6950 and they both fluctuate around 60-65% fan speed and dont hit 80, but then again I didnt oc nearly as aggressively as you ;)
your call man, I was just adding 2 cents :)

topic, offtopic, fun thread :D

btw Pierre, Im also looking around the 2nd hand market, saw a 6970 and a 5870 .. sooooooo tempted :D with a bit over the price of one 280x i could set a full rig and technically pull more khs (est 800+), but also more W :(

yeah, i think the waterblock is going on there this afternoon sometime.
just need to figure out how to get down to the store to get myself some distilled... cant drive due to this damned locked knee of mine :(
and on another point, found a crossfire s939 board+athlon 3000+ for sale on craigslist for $15, might pick that up for a cheap crossfire rig to throw some gpus in... now just need to find a PSU...
board is the Asus A8R-MVP know if it is any good at OC?

cant say, never used a CF chipset, but i dont recall them making much fuss
oc or not, just use it as mining, not like u gonna do much with that cpu :))

the one issue with these older boards is how close the pcies are .. slightly newer boards started (for good reason) spacing the pcies a bit more

well, i was just wondering about the OC aspect incase i wanted to try benching with it in the future ;)
already have one 939 board tucked away in the closest that didnt OC worth a ****
and this one actually looks like it has decent spacing on the pcie 16x slots, with the pcie 1x slot in the middle

Attachments

• s939 xfire board.JPG
    s939 xfire board.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 591
topic, offtopic, fun thread :D

btw Pierre, Im also looking around the 2nd hand market, saw a 6970 and a 5870 .. sooooooo tempted :D with a bit over the price of one 280x i could set a full rig and technically pull more khs (est 800+), but also more W :(

In all honesty, im full up on GPU's soon, then i can start looking for cards for you :)

On a different yet ever so related note...

BAM!

2014-01-09 18.57.30 (Custom).jpg

how well do those coolers work?
looking for an alternative to stock heatsinks that doesnt require me to go all out and buy another wc loop

how well do those coolers work?
looking for an alternative to stock heatsinks that doesnt require me to go all out and buy another wc loop

I use to run one on a 6950, mining BTC, silent good.

I have triple for the most part, but since these came with the cards, im not gonna complain, anything beats a stock ref cooler, for noise and cooling.

oo.
the matrix is so quiet now!
although it appears that those four 120mm fans on the side panel of my HAF are not moving quite enough air over the vrm, they are just as hot as they were before :(
the gpu is 20C cooler though!

so u pulled the trigger eh ? :) grats !
id love to wc all my cards once their fans die :D

already had the waterblock laying around, just had to do a little bit of fiddling to get enough pressure from it, due to still using the stock backplate, and not the bit that came with the card.
works good now though.

Sooo for strange reasons my Gigabyte card has decided that if you hook up a GPU to it, its just gonna restart constantly....

All hardware tried on another motherboard, and works fine, must be defective mb.. Wooohoo.. At least i get to test the warranty...

wow, those gpu coolers are expensive!
looking @ $85+ for one of the 3 fan ones for me locally.
nowhere even lists the 2 fan version

Back