• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking mining rigs, out puts, setup and others.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice. Found out the hard way this morning that the MSI 280X had been tripping the Claymore watchdog all night long. Since I can't change the engine clock on the modded BIOS I was using to get it stable downvolted, I had to flash the stock BIOS back on. It's now doing 1150/1500 completely stable, hashing XMR at 575h/s.

It's not even getting very hot yet. 1175 was also stable. I could really get used to this...

Haha, wait till you have fun volting them high... you should see my 280X at 1.3V - still cool, too.

I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole... there wasn't too much difference between 1020 and 1150. 1175 only added 5 h/s.

Still, there are reports of my 38SB version doing 1800 on the RAM, so I know what I'm trying next.

I don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole... there wasn't too much difference between 1020 and 1150. 1175 only added 5 h/s.

Still, there are reports of my 38SB version doing 1800 on the RAM, so I know what I'm trying next.

Core is IRRELEVANT with XMR! Crank the memclock!

Heh - that seems to have woken the card up nicely. 1150/1800 runs at 615 h/s.

I'm getting more of these cards. Got one lined up for a trade now, in fact. Next best thing to starting on the 290s.

Now... do I dare try to get the Hynix 7950 memclock up that high? Yes I do.

Edit - no I don't. The BIOS won't allow memclock that high - I have to mod it. 1575 put another 10h/s on that card though.

Edit 2 - modded the Gigabyte 7950 with Hynix. The bad news - 1800 is instacrash. The good news - beastmode is at 1625. 1050/1625 results in 566h/s on XMR. That's faster than the MSI was running this morning before I started fiddling with the stock BIOS.

The MSI is now at 1150/1825, 625h/s.

Last edited:
Heh - that seems to have woken the card up nicely. 1150/1800 runs at 615 h/s.

I'm getting more of these cards. Got one lined up for a trade now, in fact. Next best thing to starting on the 290s.

Now... do I dare try to get the Hynix 7950 memclock up that high? Yes I do.

Edit - no I don't. The BIOS won't allow memclock that high - I have to mod it. 1575 put another 10h/s on that card though.

Edit 2 - modded the Gigabyte 7950 with Hynix. The bad news - 1800 is instacrash. The good news - beastmode is at 1625. 1050/1625 results in 566h/s on XMR. That's faster than the MSI was running this morning before I started fiddling with the stock BIOS.

The MSI is now at 1150/1825, 625h/s.

Told you! :D

:D

Turns out the Gigabyte didn't like 1625 all that much, so now the hunt is on to find the highest stable setting. The MSI is thus far not complaining one bit about me running it at 1800. 1825 was starting to show hashrate degradation though... it was back down at 615h/s after a while.

Not complaining. These two cards have pretty much added a 2500K's worth (well, not quite but almost) of hashing power to the farm just tweaking them.

The 7950's upper limit on the RAM was 1575 by default, but it's not as un-optimized as my HD7770's BIOS is. The adjustments on the RAM on that card max out well before the card's sweet spot. A couple hundred MHz if I remember right. If that card were a better performer, I might even do something about that.

:D

Turns out the Gigabyte didn't like 1625 all that much, so now the hunt is on to find the highest stable setting. The MSI is thus far not complaining one bit about me running it at 1800. 1825 was starting to show hashrate degradation though... it was back down at 615h/s after a while.

Not complaining. These two cards have pretty much added a 2500K's worth (well, not quite but almost) of hashing power to the farm just tweaking them.

The 7950's upper limit on the RAM was 1575 by default, but it's not as un-optimized as my HD7770's BIOS is. The adjustments on the RAM on that card max out well before the card's sweet spot. A couple hundred MHz if I remember right. If that card were a better performer, I might even do something about that.

I flash my cards all the time because I'm on Linux. Just got my 280X above that 7MH/s barrier.

I might still tweak that 7770, but not really in a hurry to. It's in the new rig and I don't want to fiddle with it until I know it's perfectly stable first. It's running a real grab bag of cards - one 2GB 270, one 1GB 6870, and the 1GB 7770. IIRC it's doing 825h/s across all cards. I keep wanting to retire the two 1GB cards, but they're still slightly too good at XMR to make me want to shut them down until I have much more hashing power than I do now.

I'm getting 275 and 185 out of the 6870 and 7770 respectively... I believe the latter might push 190-200 if I mod the BIOS. Even so, that's barely more than my 2500K can do with your CPU miner, so I tend to wonder if it really matters much for just an extra 10-15h/s.

Edit - all my 270s are now modded to default to optimized RAM speeds. Not sure it made a lot of difference, but time will tell. While I have some time to kill, I might as well tinker with the 7770 too. Also tweaking the fan profile on that card... it gets way too hot before the fan ramps up.

Edit 2 - the 7770 is apparently Hynix equipped and is now doing 195 h/s on XMR with the BIOS tweaks. A little faster, but not much. I suppose every little bit helps.

Last edited:
WOW that just clicked. Wolf0 --> XMR CPU miner. :facepalm:

While I'm here and things are making sense, I want to thank you for your CPU miner. Back when I was mining XMR, I was getting 160 h/s out of my i5 :D

So yeah, nicely done :thup:

Last edited:
Back