• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i watercool my gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anthonyg45157

I have a xfx 7970 with locked voltage. I'm over clocked stabled at 1060 MHz core about 1600mhz memory.

I'm unable to achieve higher overclock without artifacts and driver crashes. Temps usually max around 75 after hours of gaming.

Since the kraken g10 has came out I've really wanted to try watercooling my7970..

Obvious benefits are roughly 30 degrees lower temps..

What other benefits would I expect to see? Would I be able to over clock higher with water vs air even at stock voltage?

If you're getting artifacts at more than 1060, you would need to increase your voltage to go higher. 75 degrees is not very high for an overclocked card, so it's not temperature that's holding you back. I would hold off on watercooling until you have a card with the ability to increase voltage.

Thanks for your reply! That's what I was thinking, only benefit is lower temps, which theoretically give it a longer lifespan. But I have a lifetime warranty so I shouldn't worry about it.
I'm quickly running out of upgrades and im getting anxious trying to squeeze every inch out of my system lol

Hmmm what to do, what to do lol.

Yea, I wouldn't worry about temps all that much. Unless they're approaching thermal limits, you shouldn't have any issues anywhere near the stated life expectancy.

Your system seems pretty maxed out to me, in terms of obvious performance squeezing.

What kind of cooler do you have on your 3570k?

Have you tried to OC your ram at all? It likely won't net you much of a performance increase, but if you're wanting to fiddle...

While AMD prices are up (because of mining), you could sell your 7970 and grab a 770 with unlocked voltage. That would give you the ability to bump things up a bit.

Yea, I wouldn't worry about temps all that much. Unless they're approaching thermal limits, you shouldn't have any issues anywhere near the stated life expectancy.

Your system seems pretty maxed out to me, in terms of obvious performance squeezing.

What kind of cooler do you have on your 3570k?

Have you tried to OC your ram at all? It likely won't net you much of a performance increase, but if you're wanting to fiddle...

While AMD prices are up (because of mining), you could sell your 7970 and grab a 770 with unlocked voltage. That would give you the ability to bump things up a bit.

I have a hyper evo 212 and my 3570k is at 4.4 GHz. Pretty much as high as I can get before it gets too hot stays around 70 celvius under burn test.

Haven't oc ram because of the small performance increase it would give me...

I just listed My 7970 in classifieds... Gonna take your advice and possibly get a 770 or 780

Back