• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to start mining

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I DL'ed the litecoin wallet at this site and tried to install but Norton flagged the uninstall file as a Trojan? Did I go to the correct site, should I over ride Norton if the file is legit?
This seems like a difficult task to be just starting, might need suggestions for a lot of stuff.

That's where I downloaded mine from, although your link auto-directed to a download file?

I just downloaded the litecoin 0862 wallet for windows and installed. I would assume a false positive, not sure why norton would flag it.

From there joining up with a pool, configuring cgminer, and getting it to go.

sadly some avirs do throw false positives because of bots used in past to mine on peoples cpus

Thanks guys, I am following another thread to set it up and hope I get it right but there seems to be a lot to it that I don't know. I'm gonna go look at some other threads and see if I am setting it up right. I do have it running but no idea if it is working correctly or even that my wallet will see the results.

Thanks guys, I am following another thread to set it up and hope I get it right but there seems to be a lot to it that I don't know. I'm gonna go look at some other threads and see if I am setting it up right. I do have it running but no idea if it is working correctly or even that my wallet will see the results.

Check this thread for details on the coin wallet: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742269

Valid link.
Valid product.
False positive from the AV program.

As it turns out it was not a false positive, scan your folders. Maybe it was added to the DL after you guys got it but the DL was hacked.

PUP - potentially unwanted programs, more of a warning and this happens because botnets have used miners in the past to exploit peoples PCs for mining, as a result malware and avir companies flagged the miners too

Granted that it does target files that are not truly harmful but something had disabled Spybot from starting without runtime error and Norton would just never finish, IE corruption is also gone afterwards. The MSI file was just add on software and I knew it was there but there was not any that I remember with Litecoin or CGminer. I would say that a scan can never hurt.

of course not, there is always a chance you may have grabbed something from somewhere, I just don't feel its cgminer, cgminer is popping up for the reasons I described earlier and as long as you got it from the official repository, there shouldn't be any issues
Im the worrying kind myself, I try to keep the miners dedicated, but I am currently using cgminer on my main machine too, now I wont use any of the modded miners and so forth, those I don't trust, esp the closed source kinds like "yam" cpu miners

Back